Gareth Southgate

Richard

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Very poor England manager.

Has done nothing to change the culture beyond be nicer to the media. The players are now a group of mostly nice people instead of the likes of John Terry and Steven Gerrard.

We'll never have a better chance than 2021. Should be contending at 2024.

This is a good example of a circular argument. He can't have changed the culture, because now the players are all nice people. Ergo it would have been impossible for him to change the culture, therefore he has failed. Useful!

Except I suppose at least he hasn't changed the culture in a bad way, and keeps picking the nice people. So he's done something right!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I do wonder if in 10 years time or so more people will finally come round to our view and also see this period as a massive missed opportunity squandered under a very poor manager.

Same as the Sven years. 

Bowed to media pressure and put TAA in midfield rather than play him at RB in a system that suits him

Hope eze gets a chance, it's got to be a buzz getting called up regardless but to then see a holding midfielder, a 32 year old who has 75 caps already and a guy who doesn't play that position for his club picked ahead of you it's got to be disheartening

England will smash them and everything will be awesome

Edit - Transfermarket has TAA as playing 46 games last season, all of them at RB

Edited by villa4europe

11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Got difficult after Ehiogu left. Lo and behold looks alright again when back with Ehiogu.

From memory him and Alpay were fine for the season they played together but then 2000/01 remains probably the most boring season I've ever witnessed from us (even the Lambert seasons were just about watchable in how bad we could actually get and 15/16 was off the scale).

All I can remember that season was that Nilis wonder goal right at the start v Chelsea and then the final home game relegating Coventry. Can barely recall anything else.

• Like 1

This is not something a major face of the FA should be joking about non-chalantly.

England manager Gareth Southgate joked his players will be "tapping up" team-mates while on international duty but says the focus remains on facing North Macedonia at Old Trafford on Monday.

The transfer window is open and several members of the squad are being linked with high-profile moves this summer.

"I haven't felt the need to say anything," laughed Southgate.

"The players are tapping each other up anyway on the quiet so I can't do anything about that!"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65874634

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

If Mount, Henderson or Maguire were signed by a bunch of aliens running a football league on Neptune, Southgate would still call them up. 

He's a tit. 

Never let him down though have they?

Maguire was brilliant in Russia 2018, fans forget too easy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

There's plenty of fans that want him.

Yep, there's a huge portion of England fans who see the win % record and the tournament record

We didn't win the euros final because of him but it's better than capello who didn't get us out of the group...

He's a job for lifer and when he finally decides to step down he'll get a shiny new office at FA HQ and a role with chairman or president in it and be generally regarded as England's best ever manager

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Has this Jordan Henderson character got any kind of proven track record at club or international level? 

I mean what’s he supposed to say in that interview? “ Hendo has gone to Saudi, so that’s the end of his England career, regardless of whether we get injuries or suspensions to other players”. Good managers (and average ones, too) don’t throw their players under the bus. Especially not managers who recognise the popularity of each of their players with the other members of the squad and who are good at building unity and team spirit.

Southgate will likely not call him up again, but there’s no need to publicly air that.

• Like 2

Â