Gareth Southgate

Richard

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Where is this top international manager? Smith managed Villa out the Championship, do we think Southgate could have done this? You do know Steve Holland is the brains behind the coaching and Southgate just delegates and bonds the team, apparently. Southgate cannot coach for shit.

I'd actually put Steve Holland's name forward for the next England manager.

Didier Deschamps......Zlato Dalic.....Louis Van Gaal.....Luis Enrique are top international managers.

This is about Southgate, not Smith.

I don't know who does what, in the England camp, No.....but I am not defending or condemning Southgate either.

but I do know we can't keep losing tournaments with such a good squad, like we do.

I don't think Southgate is the man to take us forward, but I think he's done a decent job.

Everyone saying he loses in the big games, well every England manager we've had have done this and they had better reputations than Southgate. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

I don't think Southgate is the man to take us forward, but I think he's done a decent job.

Everyone saying he loses in the big games, well every England manager we've had have done this and they had better reputations than Southgate. 

Yes I agree he has done a decent job and yesterday we had two big decisions go against us and Kane missed a penalty. If this is just about the manager then why hasnt pep won the champions league with the best squad in european football. I think it is time for him to go but theres no certainties in football. 

35 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Who can England realistically get who is better though.

Who is a title winner?

As mentioned Dean Smith is better, unsure if he could manage England, but I doubt Southgate would do any better in the Premier league. 

• Haha 1

With this group of players Dean Smith could easily do just as good if not better than Southgate.

And I say this as somebody who doesn't necessarily rate Smith as highly as some others on here do. Fact is Southgate is a shit manager with good PR.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Who is a title winner?

Title winners surely shouldn't matter if you're happy with the general process. Spain have just given the job to under 21 manager and Low got the job with Germany after being Klinsmann's assistant.

Likes of Potter and Howe would be good fits for where the England squad is at but depends on timing, same for Rodgers aswell who has won major titles in his career. That's the best of the British bunch at highest level anyway.

Just imagine if FA got starstruck and just gave the job to Gerrard! That's sort of decision where in an instant you throw away all the improvement in last 5 years.

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Why?

because I don’t have my tongue firmly inserted into the arses of Man City, Liverpool and Spurs players just because they wear a shirt that is in some way, shape or form supposed to represent me?

Wishing injuries on players because you don’t support England?

Thats **** weird mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wishing injuries on players because you don’t support England?

Thats **** weird mate. 

I share some of the sentiment towards England, although I did want them to win last night and to go on to win the World Cup (despite some ill feelings). I think the England/FA had a major part to play in Grealish leaving too, certainly Southgate comments about Villa/Grealish give credence to that claim. I am still prickly about that. Not to say about Southgate's history with Villa too, Villa fans generally do not like him or what he stands for.

Yet, I am getting the impression that DJ_Villain is somebody frustrated with England and disenfranchised with the England set up (FA). Nothing wrong with that too. The FA is a very strange organisation, and one that shows no love for the wider footballing world. It is all about the top of the Premier League and rolling out the PR when it suits. There is no growth plan for the footballing side of their organisation. None whatsoever. Keep quiet. Not interested. Why hasn't an English coach won the Premier League? That is a major failing of the FA.

The FA doesn't feel like an inclusive footballing body but an elitist/political governing body - that talks a good game but that is rotten to the core.  Much like FIFA. The FA rubs people the wrong way - it needs a major shake up. 

You are hammering this lad for hoping Villa take advantage of any downside of England's failings - unfit and injured players being one of those things....come on!  I am with him on that sentiment. Who wouldn't be on this forum?  It isn't a weird take - it is an honest and authentic take imo. He shouldn't be bullied into sugar coating his opinions about England or Villa. 

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Where is this top international manager? Smith managed Villa out the Championship, do we think Southgate could have done this? You do know Steve Holland is the brains behind the coaching and Southgate just delegates and bonds the team, apparently. Southgate cannot coach for shit.

I'd actually put Steve Holland's name in for the next England manager.

I've always thought Chris Wilder would make a great England manager. His stock seems to have evaporated entirely since Sheffield Utd got relegated but I don't think that was down to him. I think his management and tactical style would suit international football perfectly. I  have no tactical knowledge to back that up though, other than a strong intuition. Although I suspect in reality his moment has passed.

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Why?

because I don’t have my tongue firmly inserted into the arses of Man City, Liverpool and Spurs players just because they wear a shirt that is in some way, shape or form supposed to represent me?

Mate you need a hobby or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Who is a title winner?

The England job might be a convenient get out for Potter at Chelsea, other than that I'm struggling to name many English managers.  It would probably go to someone like Gerrard.  I'm not sure the FA would go the foreign route again.  

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

You are hammering this lad for hoping Villa take advantage of any downside of England's failings - unfit and injured players being one of those things....come on!  I am with him on that sentiment. Who wouldn't be on this forum?  It isn't a weird take - it is an honest and authentic take imo. He shouldn't be bullied into sugar coating his opinions about England or Villa. 

No I have an issue with it because he's not hoping we take advantage, he's actively wishing England players get injuries. 

That's weird.

He's not being bullied ffs. I just said it was a weird take.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No I have an issue with it because he's not hoping we take advantage, he's actively wishing England players get injuries. 

That's weird.

Its the unhealthy hatred of man City for me

Football shouldn't make you this angry or of that mindset

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's weird.

Personally, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill tbh. It wasn't a death threat or racism. It was a football rant. From what I can gather, he hasn't picked out an individual's name for injury. So you are saying you have never wanted or wished a very good player out of a game against Villa through injury to improve our chances? It is the same thing imo. I think you are being disingenuous a bit.

It is not "weird" to have passion for or against something, it is human. He obviously wants Villa to stick it to England and the FA, fair enough.

Â