Gareth Southgate

Richard

Whenever I think of Southgate I wonder how the nation would have reacted to Aidy Boothroyd being announced as the England manager? 

Aidy had a better record at club level and a similar record with the under 21’s. 

We would have laughed at that, yet Southgate almost got a free pass. Nothing more than a yes man for the FA. 

Watching his post match interview with sky and he keeps talking about not having a full strength side to pick from. I genuinely don’t know what he’s on about?

He had his first choice goalkeeper on the bench. He started walker and Reece James and had trippier on the bench. He started stones and brought on maguire. He started Phillips and brought on rice. He started Kane and Saka and brought on mount and Sterling. Who is it that was missing? The only player I can think of as a stretch is that foden wasn’t fully fit but even then he still came on as a sub.

baffling interview. Maybe his point is that he chose a starting line up that didn’t include all his best players. But even then that was his choice. He could have picked a near identical team to the euros final if he wanted to

7 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Watching his post match interview with sky and he keeps talking about not having a full strength side to pick from. I genuinely don’t know what he’s on about?

He had his first choice goalkeeper on the bench. He started walker and Reece James and had trippier on the bench. He started stones and brought on maguire. He started Phillips and brought on rice. He started Kane and Saka and brought on mount and Sterling. Who is it that was missing? The only player I can think of as a stretch is that foden wasn’t fully fit but even then he still came on as a sub.

baffling interview. Maybe his point is that he chose a starting line up that didn’t include all his best players. But even then that was his choice. He could have picked a near identical team to the euros final if he wanted to

If I’m being kind, I suppose he means that he has had to manage players minutes in order to avoid injury. So he couldn’t pick his ideal line up as he might have been resting players. Also Foden just recovered from Covid and Phillips clearly not match fit. He was resting Pickford (do gk need a rest?), Maguire, Rice, Henderson (not selected for squad to give full rest), didn’t start Sterling or Mount. It did differ from his normal line up and that lot probably would have done better.

Doesn’t change the fact that it was a dreadful performance and the players on the pitch should have done better.

Horrible performance and horrible result.

Gareth has enough credit in the bank at present so that the people above don’t need discuss his successor yet. However, I do think he’ll need a decent World Cup showing because if we have an early exit, then a decision needs to be made.

I don’t personally like him but he has done a lot of good and his results by and large during his tenure have been very good. Let’s see what happens from September onwards. 

• Like 1

I'm not English but I like to see England do well.

It is absolutely sick that England are going to go to a World Cup with such a talented squad and this conservative dullard of a manager. Surely the FA could afford literally anybody. Why on earth is this happening?

Just now, ferguson1 said:

I don’t personally like him but he has done a lot of good and his results by and large during his tenure have been very good. Let’s see what happens from September onwards. 

They have, but I think he's simply reaping the rewards of England changing gears a decade or so ago and putting a lot more effort into the technical development of it's young players throughout the system. I don't think it's his management style, I just think the teams are far more technically gifted and there is so much more depth in comparison with the rest of the world than there was a decade ago. 

To have that array of attacking talent and be completely unable to consistently generate shots on target is criminal. 

21 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'm not English but I like to see England do well.

It is absolutely sick that England are going to go to a World Cup with such a talented squad and this conservative dullard of a manager. Surely the FA could afford literally anybody. Why on earth is this happening?

So you're the non English one who doesn't hate England 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Horrible performance and horrible result.

Gareth has enough credit in the bank at present so that the people above don’t need discuss his successor yet. However, I do think he’ll need a decent World Cup showing because if we have an early exit, then a decision needs to be made.

What has he got credit in the bank for? He’s in arrears.

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What has he got credit in the bank for? He’s in arrears.

World Cup Semi Final, followed by a Euro Final last year. Regardless of what we think of him, his results have been decent. 

• Like 2

Southgate is a bang average manager (and I think that’s kind to him). The reality is I don’t think a single premier league team would have him as manager. He a mid table championship manager IMO. 

He has a fantastic group of players but insists on being as negative as possible. 

The dive from Kane was also pretty terrible, but he has form on this. He bought a pen against Germany and was hoping for the same last night!

Just now, ferguson1 said:

World Cup Semi Final, followed by a Euro Final last year. Regardless of what we think of him, his results have been decent. 

Whoopee shit. Runner up champions.

He hasn't won getting us to a final, he's lost us a tournament. Only beating Colombia on penalties, losing to Croatia, failing to beat Scotland - these are not decent results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

If I’m being kind, I suppose he means that he has had to manage players minutes in order to avoid injury. So he couldn’t pick his ideal line up as he might have been resting players. Also Foden just recovered from Covid and Phillips clearly not match fit. He was resting Pickford (do gk need a rest?), Maguire, Rice, Henderson (not selected for squad to give full rest), didn’t start Sterling or Mount. It did differ from his normal line up and that lot probably would have done better.

Doesn’t change the fact that it was a dreadful performance and the players on the pitch should have done better.

Fair points here. One thing I will say though is continuing to pick Phillips when he's clearly not fit is absurd, it's really on Southgate for even having him in the squad this summer in the first place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Southgate wears a condom to go cycling

Southgate sends himself a card for his birthday.

22 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Whoopee shit. Runner up champions.

He hasn't won getting us to a final, he's lost us a tournament. Only beating Colombia on penalties, losing to Croatia, failing to beat Scotland - these are not decent results.

As I say, he’s got credit in the bank for doing well in our previous two major tournaments. You may not agree, but it’s fact. He’ll take us to our next tournament in December whether you like it or not.

Again, I don’t personally like him or want him as our manager but he’s not going anywhere at present.

Edited by ferguson1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

As I say, he’s got credit in the bank for doing well in our previous two major tournaments. You may not agree, but it’s fact.

If it was a fact, I would agree.

He might have credit in the bank with certain people, the higher ups, but not with anyone who can form a better analysis of his tenure than Joe Cole or Jamie Carragher.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

If it was a fact, I would agree.

He might have credit in the bank with certain people, the higher ups, but not with anyone who can form a better analysis of his tenure than Joe Cole or Jamie Carragher.

which is what I said originally and you agree.  I’ll leave it there.

• Like 1

Imagine England sack Southgate and stick Jose Mourinho in from now till after the WC. It would be incredible.

Not a great long term plan but i’m sure he’d get more out of our attacking riches than this joker we have now.

• Like 1

Â