Top Gear

Jez

Gillian Anderson has that big head small body thing going, which is a common trait amongst actors and rock stars (Jagger et al)

Nice paint job but I suspect the suspension might be a bit saggy these days and the chassis definitely needs a proper inspection to accurately predict the quality of the ride.

I liked the Canada thing, but as ever, found myself wondering why the Americans are allowed to enjoy their 6 litre behemoths, while Europeans are forced into tin cans or get taxed into oblivion.

The answer: In large countries where there is more space and more trees, governments have less leverage because the extra space makes the argument of imminent global catastrophe harder to sell.

It is amusing to consider that it is exactly the same companies (Ford, GM) pandering to their customers' exactly opposite prejudices with equal sincerity.

I went to a Comic Book / Sci Fi convention in Milton Keynes last year. I won't bore you with the reasons for my attendance, suffice to say it wasn't one of the highlights of my year, ranking just below back pain and watching Aston Villa for entertainment value.

Anyway, at this convention, Gillian Anderson was signing autographs. Pretty much all day, at £30 a pop - no photo's. You wanted a photo, you had to queue again and pay another £30 or you could buy her official photo for £10 and she'd sign that for you,

Apart from a few comfort breaks, she was there for a whole day and for the whole day there was a queue outside her little booth. We sat and watched the queue a few times and it was moving at a fair pace, she wasn't exactly giving people 20 minutes of 1 on 1 pillow talk. The ticketing system was a simple 3 digit raffle ticket and at the end of the day was in the 700's. We therefore scientifically estimated she'd signed or had photo's about 700 times, plus selling the photo's and merch that she was signing!

Not bad money, I'd love to know what the split was with the organisers. Even at 50 / 50 she must have easily cleared £8 / £9 / £10k for a day's 'work'. 

Sylvester Mccoy did less well.

I went to a Comic Book / Sci Fi convention in Milton Keynes last year. I won't bore you with the reasons for my attendance, suffice to say it wasn't one of the highlights of my year, ranking just below back pain and watching Aston Villa for entertainment value.

Anyway, at this convention, Gillian Anderson was signing autographs. Pretty much all day, at £30 a pop - no photo's. You wanted a photo, you had to queue again and pay another £30 or you could buy her official photo for £10 and she'd sign that for you,

Apart from a few comfort breaks, she was there for a whole day and for the whole day there was a queue outside her little booth. We sat and watched the queue a few times and it was moving at a fair pace, she wasn't exactly giving people 20 minutes of 1 on 1 pillow talk. The ticketing system was a simple 3 digit raffle ticket and at the end of the day was in the 700's. We therefore scientifically estimated she'd signed or had photo's about 700 times, plus selling the photo's and merch that she was signing!

Not bad money, I'd love to know what the split was with the organisers. Even at 50 / 50 she must have easily cleared £8 / £9 / £10k for a day's 'work'. 

Sylvester Mccoy did less well.

I understand she does a lot of London theatre these days, which can hardly be as lucrative as her X-files days and so we must assume she uses her autograph sales to keep herself in the manner she had become used to.

Those flashy gnashers of hers didn't come cheap. :)  

But, even so, thirty quid is taking the piss.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

found myself wondering why the Americans are allowed to enjoy their 6 litre behemoths, while Europeans are forced into tin cans or get taxed into oblivion.

Little to no tax on "Gasoline" in the US. This means that the car companies were never incentivised to build cars that were petrol efficient. They sold their cars based on power and size and the US customer's didn't care about MPG as petrol was cheap anyway. The attitude is slowly changing now with US consumers more "Gas" price conscious.

Edited by villa89

The federal fuel duty in the USA is 18.4 cents on the gallon.  It's not index linked to inflation and it has not been raised since 1993.   In real terms that means it's decreased by about 40% on the gallon. 

The federal fuel duty in the USA is 18.4 cents on the gallon.  It's not index linked to inflation and it has not been raised since 1993.   In real terms that means it's decreased by about 40% on the gallon.

Been watching John Oliver have we?

Yep!   I've got a VPN so I can watch. :lol:

Anyhoo, that Jaguar on tonights show! :wub:     

I'm very biased towards Jaguar, my Grandad worked there for years and I got to sit in an XJ220 and the 1988 Le Mans winning car when I was a kid, but still the new cars are awesome.  I'm glad they have decided to stop just making vehicles for middle aged golfers. 

The E Type restoration is brilliant too.  I disagree with Top Gear's claim that the only people who could make that are people who were around in the sixties,  I've got a mate who is a prototype engineer and he basically does the same thing.  He started on classic cars like E Types and Jensen Interceptors and now he's out in Colorado doing American cars and 1930s Porsche's .   Living the American dream actually, he's got an anchor baby and he is running a business which employs other people: http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/

Edited by The_Rev

While testing the new MX-5 they touched on the subject of hairdressers' cars - it really needs a whole programme.

Owners of Honda Type-Rs and Subarus tell me that Audi TTs fall into this catagory, TG needs to explain the rules. :)

Edited by MakemineVanilla

There is no such thing as a "ladies" car unless it's pink or violet and has those crap eyelashes or a flower on the dash.

In reality though it is such a ridiculous notion that a car can be a girl's car. It's not. It's a car. End of.

There is no such thing as a "ladies" car unless it's pink or violet and has those crap eyelashes or a flower on the dash.

In reality though it is such a ridiculous notion that a car can be a girl's car. It's not. It's a car. End of.

Fiat 500.

• Like 1

Fiat 500.

Yeah but my fiat 500 was 160bhp and did 0-60 under 7 seconds and had the best alloys I think I've ever seen on a car, sad to see it go, has a lot of fun in it, worst thing about it is the number of people telling me I've finally got a proper car

Rather than the cool wall which ended up being nonsense a hair dressers car wall could be good (but would also end up being nonsense)

Point proven ;)

To be honest you're the last person we're going to take advice from in the "cars as gender stereotypes/masking inadequacies" conversation.

But yeah.... Fiat 500, Standard new mini, new VW Beetle, mx-5 and Audi TT - all girls cars.