The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

The way I see it is we should not to worry about what the teams above us are doing. Yes Our terrible start has put us at a disadvantage right now. However, If We keep scoring points at the rate we are, then we will have a great chance of the playoffs. The teams above us will feel the pressure or hit a sticky patch at some point. We have just got to hope our only sticky patch was the beginning of the season. Point swings can be quite extreme in the final few games, I have seen us on the other side plenty of times to know what can happen from March onwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sonic_bouma said:

Wednesday winning has pissed me right off.

Back to 6 points off despite today's win.

Other team's results don't matter. There's half a season left to play. They will lose randomly or we will play them or they will play each other. The challenge for us is to continue winning and averaging 2 or more points per game. That's the only way we get into the playoffs, and if we don't, we don't get there, and if we do, we do. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

I'm looking at it the other way - it keeps the automatic places alive the more that Newcastle and Brighton lose. Newcastle obviously have a lot of points on the board but their form is dipping. We all know how their fans can cause a negative environment if things are going against them and they still have Ashley there. It still could blow up on Tyneside you never know. 

7 hours ago, mykeyb said:

When Bruce took over we were 13 points of 2nd and 15 of the top position. We are currently 14 points of 2nd and currently 15 points of top with Newcastle yet to play so we haven't really closed that gap.  Playoffs look to be our only chance.

You could argue that over his 12 games we've been on par with the front-runners. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

So in the 3 months under Bruce we have made up 4 points on the play off places.

That's not a knock at Bruce at all. I think it could be a while before we crack the top 6.

Not bad considering where we were. Remember those teams were playing well and we weren't. Now we are getting on a roll that gap could easily disappear especially if we can sort our away form out. Five wins on the bounce at home. So when Bruce took over we were 8 points behind and now 4 after 12 games, therefore with 23 games left we will gain another 8 points, therefore we will be n the playoffs 

We need to get a bit of perspective. Even if we lose against Leeds it won't be the end and if we win it won't mean we've done it. This league is a slog. If Bruce was manager from the start of the season I believe we'd be pushing automatic at the very least. We've played all the teams we are vying with and none are better than us. We can beat them. We were in the relegation zone when Bruce came in. We've halved the deficit but now the hard work really starts as its harder to close gaps against fellow inform teams. Buckle up this is going to be a hell of a ride. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mykeyb said:

So in the 3 months under Bruce we have made up 4 points on the play off places.

That's not a knock at Bruce at all. I think it could be a while before we crack the top 6.

I personally think that for us at this stage of the season, it's all about maintaining our position within touching distance of the playoffs. All sides up there are in pretty decent form, they won't all maintain that pretty decent form for the rest of the season. So let's maintain what we are doing, stay in touch and we will eventually get close to the playoffs.

• Like 1

I'm confident with this set up and Bruce we can get promoted, before the end of next season. From where we were that has to be good, and if I am honest, I am not missing the Premiership one bit. My concern is when the money runs out!

Feeling positive despite our dip in performance, luckily the results are still there. Interesting to see who we sign in Jan to kick us on, also happy for McCormack finding the net. All good, but I fear the Leeds match as they are very decent at the moment, but we give everyone a difficult game.

13 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

It shows how tough the league. however, if we keep chipping way under Bruce then I'm sure we will get there. 

We're averaging 2 points a game under Bruce. Keep that up and we end with 80 points and I'm fairly sure that will get us in the playoffs. We might even get more when we have a midfield!