The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

19 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

If this was with 10 or so games to go you'd probably have a point....

Baring in mind I acknowledge that atm were plenty in touch and that IF the points difference became greater than we'd struggle, I'm going to hazard a guess that you didn't read my post.

At this stage it's ok, but if it were to become 7/8 points in the coming weeks then that is a lot of points to make up whilst leapfrogging 7/8 teams.

As it currently stands were two wins away from the playoffs points wise but it's probably impossible for us to get into the playoffs in 2 games due to the sheer mass of teams in between us. They are not all going to drop points.

14 hours ago, Kingman said:

So the Play Off Final date is Monday 29th May! 

Need to confirm the Semi dates as going to see Micky Flanagan on either Friday 19th or Saturday 20th and wouldn't want a potential date clash if played over said dates. ;) 

Anyone?.. 

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Baring in mind I acknowledge that atm were plenty in touch and that IF the points difference became greater than we'd struggle, I'm going to hazard a guess that you didn't read my post.

At this stage it's ok, but if it were to become 7/8 points in the coming weeks then that is a lot of points to make up whilst leapfrogging 7/8 teams.

As it currently stands were two wins away from the playoffs points wise but it's probably impossible for us to get into the playoffs in 2 games due to the sheer mass of teams in between us. They are not all going to drop points.

Of course I read your post.  My point remains. There is plenty of time to make up the points, a defeat in the near future is not going to make a massive different with the amount of points and games left.

Now if it were 10 games to go.......

16 hours ago, Kingman said:

So the Play Off Final date is Monday 29th May! 

Need to confirm the Semi dates as going to see Micky Flanagan on either Friday 19th or Saturday 20th and wouldn't want a potential date clash if played over said dates. ;) 

Are you going out to see him or out out to see him? 

• Like 1

It's kind of weird that despite the run we had even been on since Bruce arrived we have barely pulled away from to bottom teams. 

However we are slowly slowly catching up those above us. 

It really confirms about this league that it's bang average most of the way through. Pretty much anyone can and do beat anyone else. Very few points separating high flyers from stragglers. 

If we can keep up our run you will see teams falling by the way side. 

I mean look at Brighton.  A good solid second place team but looked very very average,  we could easily have taken them at their own place. 

We just need to keep on it. We get 2 wins in a row and we will scoot past quite a few. 

We need to start scoring more goals (we don't score enough considering the attacking players we have), and winning a few in a row. Other teams in this league seem to be able to do. Reading have won 4 on the spin and are now 3rd, and they looked a very average team when we played them. 

Bruce has shored us up and stopped the stupid late goals, which was the first priority. Now we need to start taking advantage of the good attacking players we have and start beating teams with regularity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Anyone?.. 

I don't think the semi final dates have been released as yet. I guess it will depend on who is likely to get through and when SKY wants the games to be played. Sorry this is not a lot of help I think I would look at what day these games were played over the past couple of seasons in relation to the play-off finals but it will be guesswork at the moment. In case you have not heard yet I understand he is also doing Thursday 18/5 in Brum now.   

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's kind of weird that despite the run we had even been on since Bruce arrived we have barely pulled away from to bottom teams. 

However we are slowly slowly catching up those above us. 

It really confirms about this league that it's bang average most of the way through. Pretty much anyone can and do beat anyone else. Very few points separating high flyers from stragglers. 

If we can keep up our run you will see teams falling by the way side. 

I mean look at Brighton.  A good solid second place team but looked very very average,  we could easily have taken them at their own place. 

We just need to keep on it. We get 2 wins in a row and we will scoot past quite a few. 

I agree with this. Apart from Newcastle (good) and Rotherham (bad) the rest of the teams in the division are much of a muchness. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andym said:

We need to start scoring more goals (we don't score enough considering the attacking players we have), and winning a few in a row. Other teams in this league seem to be able to do. Reading have won 4 on the spin and are now 3rd, and they looked a very average team when we played them. 

Bruce has shored us up and stopped the stupid late goals, which was the first priority. Now we need to start taking advantage of the good attacking players we have and start beating teams with regularity.

We've played some tough teams, including two derby matches and Brighton away. We've scored in every game under Bruce so far, 8 in 6. neither may be particularly impressive statistics but we've prioritised results and given the comparative quality of opposition, it has worked. So it's not really a valid criticism yet IMO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Are you going out to see him or out out to see him? 

If it's Friday I will be out... If it's Saturday I'll be out-out :D But it all really depends IF we make the play offs as Im suspecting W/E of the 19/05/17 will be the Semi Final 2nd leg's! 

10 hours ago, John said:

I don't think the semi final dates have been released as yet. I guess it will depend on who is likely to get through and when SKY wants the games to be played. Sorry this is not a lot of help I think I would look at what day these games were played over the past couple of seasons in relation to the play-off finals but it will be guesswork at the moment. In case you have not heard yet I understand he is also doing Thursday 18/5 in Brum now.   

Think you'll struggle for tickets now ,  I got 2 last sat morning around 1 hour after release and nearly everything had gone then,  my seats are behind each other, not together... Good luck!

Bruce has made us hard to beat - but perhaps not that difficult to squeeze a point from. Whilst it was important to get an unbeaten run going to give the lads some confidence, draws are pretty much points dropped now.  

• Like 2

Given where we were and the fixtures we've had since Bruce came in, 4 points from every 6 is a fine return.  Now is the opportunity to get 3 straight wins and put the pressure on those above us.  

Draw away at Norwich and we have another good run of games that should be winnable.  After the Christmas games I expect us to be right in the mix.

• Like 1

Definitely agree I would love to get 9 points out of the next 3 games. 7 minimum. We need to be start taking 3 points off teams above us (Leeds).

We're going to struggle in Jan without 3 of our best attackers, unless Ross can get some form, otherwise I can't see where our goals will come from. 

We have the 6th worst offense in the league, this has to change in a major way if we are to have any chance of reaching the play offs.

Not only do we have to build a new midfield, we have to find a way to score goals in Jan-Feb when our best strikers are at the AFCON.

It won't be easy, that's for sure.

Edited by sne

11 hours ago, sne said:

We have the 6th worst offense in the league, this has to change in a major way if we are to have any chance of reaching the play offs.

That is not good but I am confident that is not even close to a true reflection of our attacking prowess.

We have missed a lot of good chances this season and based on what I have seen, even under RDM, I think we should already have put 3 or 4 past a number of sides this season and expect that we will improve our attacking stats sooner rather than later. Hopefully starting today.

The biggest concern for me was improving us at the back, with the midfield offering some protection, and cutting out the silly mistakes and tendency to sit back late in games. We have done that. 

Huge game today. We need three points to close the gap on a number of teams above us but also to go another game unbeaten under Bruce, and at home, and the players will really be starting to believe in themselves.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That is not good but I am confident that is not even close to a true reflection of our attacking prowess.

We have missed a lot of good chances this season and based on what I have seen, even under RDM, I think we should already have put 3 or 4 past a number of sides this season and expect that we will improve our attacking stats sooner rather than later. Hopefully starting today.

The biggest concern for me was improving us at the back, with the midfield offering some protection, and cutting out the silly mistakes and tendency to sit back late in games. We have done that. 

Huge game today. We need three points to close the gap on a number of teams above us but also to go another game unbeaten under Bruce and at home and the players will really be starting to believe in themselves.

For me the big problem is and has always been midfield.

It was clear before the season started that it was going to be a huge issue, and it will continue to be so until Bruce has an opportunity to strengthen in January.

It makes our attack weak and isolated, and our defense hesitant to go forward.

As you say Bruce has sorted our the defensive part of this, but to the expense of our attacking. I'm fine with this for the moment as under Di Matteo the midfield did none of these jobs.

We have an attacking threat that can very well score 5 goals past a team on a good day even now although is hasn't happened yet. But if we are to be able to do score on a more regular basis then the midfield needs new blood.

Til' then, a front 3 of Ayew, Kodija & Adomah should be our best bet at getting goals.

• Like 3