The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

If we did go on such a run then our goal difference would automatically improve for obvious reasons. That said, our GD is the very least of my concerns at this stage.

It feels good just to not have a negative one for once!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To go for automatic we are going to have to go on one serious run, like win 8-7 game straight and hope the other teams lose. Wont happen unfortunately we are too far behind already and our goal difference is not great either.

After we get that winning feeling back, we need to start beating teams more comfortably goals scored could be vital towards end of the season . 

I understand about automatic but we were 10 points from 6th last week we are now 11 points from 2nd because of the way this league is things can change very quickly. Newcastle look a certainty to go up but 2nd shouldn't be out of our sights. I'm sure we'll get the playoffs and think we can challenge for 2nd with a bit of luck. Goal difference will only matter if we are going for 2nd IMO. 

10 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I understand about automatic but we were 10 points from 6th last week we are now 11 points from 2nd because of the way this league is things can change very quickly. Newcastle look a certainty to go up but 2nd shouldn't be out of our sights. I'm sure we'll get the playoffs and think we can challenge for 2nd with a bit of luck. Goal difference will only matter if we are going for 2nd IMO. 

Yes your right a lot can change but for me jumping from midtable to higher ends is more difficult than jumping from midtable to play offs. You need the better teams to hit poor form which involves a bit of luck. Had we not lost against Wednesday that could have helped for example. Depending how we do on Sunday will determine for me what our target will be. If we go and lose like losers (like we have seen so often) i think we may scrape play offs. If we win, and win convincingly we are 3 points behind them and played more challenging teams, therefore game on. Also the confidence level will be sky high. I can stress how important Sundays game could be for confidence for rest of the season. 

There are still nearly 100 points to play for.  It's entirely possible that we could gain 11 more points than teams above us. We still have to play Brighton twice for example and if we could win those we would be right on their tails.  I'm not saying that it will happen but automatic promotion is still well within our grasp

• Like 1

Lets not get too carried away, we are currently 3 points away from relegation and 6 points away from the bottom play-off place.

Saying that though, i think we have an excellent chance of finishing in the top 6, and the tiniest sliver of hope of finishing second. 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 12:38, Demitri_C said:

Also I think January is going to be tough for us with ACN. We are badly going to miss kodjia and to a level ayew. I expect some bad results in the new year

We have McCormack and Grealish. Surely they should be able to step in at this level.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2016 at 22:52, sidcow said:

Why can't the freakin football authorities put in a double week international break to reduce the impact of that,  it would also ease off the stuttering start to the league season with those 2 close together international breaks as well. 

Flipping annoying this.  Need to get in at least 1 non African Striker by then. 

We have Gestede and McCormack.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Lets not get too carried away, we are currently 3 points away from relegation and 6 points away from the bottom play-off place.

Saying that though, i think we have an excellent chance of finishing in the top 6, and the tiniest sliver of hope of finishing second. 

We're 5 points from relegation.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we win on Sunday I have absolutely zero doubts we will finish in the playoffs, despite all the stats you want to throw my way. We will start rolling. We then have 6 days off before we come home to Blackburn and you'd fancy us right? Even a draw to keep us ticking over would do then...

...THIS is the game. For once, can we win THE game?

You are right, as simple as it seems, this is HUGE, we usually fail when we get to THE game, it will be a big indication of if we have indeed turned the "mental" corner. If we win it I think we will start soaring.

There is no one to fear in this league. Our starting line up is arguably the best on paper in the league. Bruce has installed confidence and hopefully a winning mentality. Let's not forget that we are still unbeaten at villa park (not that the media would know), I'd love it if we went the whole season as fortress villa park and be unbeaten.

5 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Even though this is a tight league, I think that poor start as done us for the play offs. I think a top half finish is achievable but the highest I can see us finishing is 8th. 

Why do you think the playoffs are out of reach? Statistically, they are well within.

I just don't understand the mentality above. The last two games have shown that wins can make everything look different.

There are ten of points to play for. It's not as if we're 3/4 of the season down and squandering in mid table.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we win on Sunday I have absolutely zero doubts we will finish in the playoffs, despite all the stats you want to throw my way. We will start rolling. We then have 6 days off before we come home to Blackburn and you'd fancy us right? Even a draw to keep us ticking over would do then...

To be fair, I was saying the same thing about the Fulham game. Regardless, this is clearly a huge period for the club, the next few games, even beyond the Blues included. Are we turning the shitshow around (touch wood)? We'll need a good run for a good few games, but hopefully, after significant investment, we're capable of it. We've been punching below our weight for so long. 

Edited by praisedmambo

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Our next 5 games are Blackburn, Brighton, Cardiff, Leeds and Wigan. The only one to worry about there is Brighton. I'm not saying that the others will be walkovers, but potential points are up for grabs

Up until Norwich