January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We should sign both Hourihane and Landsbury. 

Would improve our midfield so much.

Indeed. I would try and get Matty James in on loan as well. Rather have too many options than not enough! 

• Like 1

The press know very little about who we are after let alone what stage bids are at. Hourihane may not be our main target But if we offered the supposed £1m I'm sure people on here would moan why we offering such a small amount and to stop messing about. Until a player moves or a bid has been accepted I don't see the point in moaning and then it's a case of I wish we were in for them not slagging the club off. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 09:54, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Grealish has been great for most of the season so far, Ayew hasn't played that much but he should be in the side. I also think that Amavi has been a shining light particularly after his injury. As for Gestede, well he's moved on to pastures new now edit- who is we?

Respectfully I disagree, and though I know that trying to change someones opinion via an internet forum is one of the most futile endeavours known to man I am just gonna respond to get it off my chest.

All of the players mentioned above I like and am desperate for them to succeed but when I take off my Villa specs and assess them honestly....

Jack Grealish is so talented but so inconsistent. Is capable of changing a game but this seasons highlight reel for him would be pretty short and sweet. That young fella Winks for Spurs had him in his back pocket in the Spurs game and I can see Bruce "resting" him soon enough.

Ayew again can be talented. I think he has been played about as much as you can play him based on what he has shown this season. I genuinely dont know what his position is. Cant shoot so isnt a striker, isnt direct enough to be a winger. isnt creative enough to be a no. 10

Amavi, not to put too fine a point on it has been fairly poor since returning from injury. His defensive positioning is horrible although his recovery is usually decent. Going forward he just isnt the same player as last year

Gestede was the victim of our expectations based on that one anomaly of a season for Blackburn.

As for who "we" are....lets just say it was me and my mate Jeff as I obviously misjudged the consensus of this forum.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why are 'tabling a late bid' rather than being right in there in the first place. Lazy.

I doubt it's laziness (although I appreciate your comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, apologies if so).

I'm guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one price for Villa (and Newcastle) and another price for the rest of the Championship when it comes to players like Hourihane.  Clubs know that we've got bucket loads of cash and we're desperate to go up, so they can add a couple of million on and we'll pay it.

I'm all for stealing in at the last minute once another club has done the hard work, and more importantly agreed a fee - plenty of clubs have done it to us in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I doubt it's laziness (although I appreciate your comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, apologies if so).

I'm guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one price for Villa (and Newcastle) and another price for the rest of the Championship when it comes to players like Hourihane.  Clubs know that we've got bucket loads of cash and we're desperate to go up, so they can add a couple of million on and we'll pay it.

I'm all for stealing in at the last minute once another club has done the hard work, and more importantly agreed a fee - plenty of clubs have done it to us in the past.

Could be worth paying the extra £2m now and getting the gap down to 5 points or less than waiting until Jan 31 and facing a 10 point gap .

hourihane is worth far more than a couple of million and it's only as his contract is up in June that the price is so low .

we really cannot afford to let the gap to the top 6 widen and I fear our powderpuff midfield will cost us points this month again 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Oh I agree @Eastie but I do think some clubs will play a bit of brinkmanship with us and see what they can get us up to... which is another reason for the delay.

Personally if I was Barnsley, I'd be wanting to sell to us (a club who are going to get promoted one way or another in the next couple of seasons) rather than strengthen local rivals Wednesday, who if they go up would surely impact on their local fanbase.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

1 minute ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Oh I agree @Eastie but I do think some clubs will play a bit of brinkmanship with us and see what they can get us up to... which is another reason for the delay.

Personally if I was Barnsley, I'd be wanting to sell to us (a club who are going to get promoted one way or another in the next couple of seasons) rather than strengthen local rivals Wednesday who if they go up could potentially steal their fanbase.

Agreed but I think we will have to accept that we may need to pay over the odds in January to force their hand.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Conor Hourihane - flavour of the month. 

You could be right, and that is also one of my concerns as I had never heard of him two months ago. It looks like he has started the season fairly well, but has been league 1 before this season, and it is a different kettle of fish stepping into a bigger team and performing to the same level. I guess if that price is right at £1-2m, then it is probably worth the gamble.

Signed Connor Hourihane on FIFA15 from Plymouth for Southend as I needed a better midfielder. He became captain and I never took him out the side all the way up to the premier league. 

That is about as much as I can tell you about him though, which I imagine is scarily more than some villa fans I've seen who are "desperate" for us to sign him. We've seen year on year that the old phrase "ANYONE would be better than what we have" is just not true. 

Hopefully we have more accomplished scouts now who are confident this lad isn't a flash in the pan. 

9 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Maybe we are playing the old game of waiting for other clubs to make bids to establish true value of players to avoid having to pay a rich club premium.

Every time I try that on Football Manager they ask me for something extortionate and i'm left thinking 'You accepted this amount for him so why do you want this amount from me'.

It's bang out of order.

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is a central midfielder remember ...
16/17 - CH - 5 goals, 11 assists
15/16 - L1 - 10, 13
14/15 - L1 - 13, 13
13/14 - L2 - 8, *
12/13 - L2 - 5, *

He's 25 and every time he has gone up a level he has taken to it like a duck to water.  He's now tearing up the Championship as well.  If he's flavour of the month for someone then it's because they didn't know who he was beforehand.

* assist stats not available

That's my point.

I reckon barely anyone had heard of him before this season and, even with hearing about him this season, barely anyone has watched him play aside from obligatory YouTube videos.  However, he's become a "must have" he would "improve our midfield massively" etc.

Flavour of the month.

Which month?  He's been flavour of pretty much every month since this season started.  Maybe flavour of the season?  Or maybe he's just a good midfielder?  Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Every time I try that on Football Manager they ask me for something extortionate and i'm left thinking 'You accepted this amount for him so why do you want this amount from me'.

It's bang out of order.

Football Manager is ridiculous at times.  Like, teams rejecting my, say, £5m bid for a player... add him to the shortlist, wait for another to club in with a £2m bid.  Bid £2m, they accept. :detect: 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Which month?  He's been flavour of pretty much every month since this season started.  Maybe flavour of the season?  Or maybe he's just a good midfielder?  Stranger things have happened.

The month of January, in which we have been linked and his reputation has increased 10-fold.