January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Aren't Sheff Weds a bit top heavy with strikers?

They already have Stephen Fletcher, Garry Hooper, Nuhiu who they use as an impact sub and Forresteri plays as number 10 so I struggle to see where Winnall fits in as he needs to also play as targetman. They also signed McManaman the other day who can also play in the front three.

We saw earlier this season just playing 4 strikers all at once and hoping it works isn't the brightest idea at any level.

Not for me.  Fletcher and Hooper is basically it as strikers - both with not-the-best injury records too.  Forestieri can play up top, but is basically a "free role" kind of player.  Nuhiu barely plays for them and is terrible in any case ("big man" for chasing a game, that's it).

Winnall for £500k is a great addition to that.

Sounds like we're struggling to land our targets atm, some of them possibly opting to move elsewhere (Schlupp, Cleverley, Jenkinson), some involving difficult negotiations.

Hopefully we will get some decent deals done asap.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sounds like we're struggling to land our targets atm, some of them possibly opting to move elsewhere (Schlupp, Cleverley, Jenkinson), some involving difficult negotiations.

I think sadly just because we have a decent manager, owner and some money that isn't enough. When we were in the Premiership we struggled to sign decent players, appreciate there were other factors in play in that, but we have to realise we are a mid table Championship club with ambition which our results aren't backing up yet.

It's like advertising an expensive sports car and when interested parties arrive to test drive it they realise it has no engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

I think sadly just because we have a decent manager, owner and some money that isn't enough. When we were in the Premiership we struggled to sign decent players, appreciate there were other factors in play in that, but we have to realise we are a mid table Championship club with ambition which our results aren't backing up yet.

It's like advertising an expensive sports car and when interested parties arrive to test drive it they realise it has no engine.

Problem is it's a shitty cycle, how do we get better if the good players we are after won't join? I would love us to just chuck ridiculous money at some but my head knows its not the way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Big thumbs up from me, great player I think, he has the ability to dictate play from the middle of the park, something that we probably lack

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

I dont think we have enough to get in the top 6. Nor to win the playoffs.

So literally anyone to replace Hutton, Westwood, Gardner & Gaby in the 1st 11.

Next step - LW

Cover @ CB & DM if possible

Cover @ LB too 

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I dont think we have enough to get in the top 6. Nor to win the playoffs.

Next step - LW

Cover @ CB & DM if possible

Cover @ LB too 

Is Cissokho not adequate cover at left back?

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Most clubs are struggling to sign anyone. We are in a predicament where we are looking at the same players at the bottom of the Prem or above us in the Championship. This puts us at varying disadvantages. I think we are after some like Lansbury who are gettable early on takeover permitting and others like for example Hourihane and agree who are attracting interest from clubs in better positions. These ones I think we will have a better chance later on when we can't get gazumped. Others the likes of Rhodes we may be after but not at the price quoted. There's a reason why it hots up late in the windows our problem is not having a midfield for the next 3 games could mean we are stuck in this division for another season. It's a gamble and January makes it worse. 

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

It just puts me in a bad mood when I realize that those jokers are still anywhere near the club let alone the first team. That's 40% of the outfield players who are just dross.

• Like 2