January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

3 minutes ago, UppsalaVillan said:

Haven't been in for a while so this may have been said before.

But isn't it a bit strange that Lansbury seems to be trying to engineer a move to us because the club he's at is "in a bit of a mess"?

No. We're not in a mess anymore.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can anyone really see us going up this year? Really want it to happen but I just don't think we have the quality, we need to strengthen and go on a real run but I really don't feel it, at least at the moment. Too many underperforners too, McCormack has been desperately disappointing.

I think we'll struggle. We may be able to scrape into the play offs. 

Yes, I think the only way we could go up is via the playoffs but it looks like we'd struggle to get into those positions and if we did then we'd be up against some tough teams, not sure if we'd have the character and mentality for that challenge with this group of players either. I just wish we had a team that could blow some of the opposition away but we just seem to be grinding out results here and there followed by a disappointing defeat. This window is so crucial...

• Like 2

Agent Dave on Twitter saying Lansbury to Villa is done. 

Going on Dave's 'ITK' form, I'm expecting Lansbury to sign his Derby contract tomorrow.

• Like 2

I cant see us going too much for a new striker. I think he wants 2 central midfielders and a left winger now. We'll find out over the next month I suppose but signing a striker now and giving them time to settle? When we have Ayew and Kodjia back in what 4 weeks or so? Most of us think Gabby and Kozak are a bit irrelevant at this stage and I think RHM would definitely be getting a chance if he signed up. But I think Bruce might play Grealish a bit more advanced off McCormack/Gabby and try and muddle through. 

Ayew and Kodjia should be a decent strike partnership but I don't think they've been played together, Ayew hasn't been played as a striker in ages and I get the feeling Bruce isn't keen on him.

I don't think we've got any other decent or in form striker available and so will struggle to score goals until the pair of them are back. Also, what was the point of holding Ayew back from AFCON if he wasn't going to play against Cardiff?!

24 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Agreed. Posts like the above astonish me. Staunton had a killer left foot on him and I have great memories of him rampaging down the left then whipping a super ball in. Amavi is a million miles away from being anywhere near as good as Stan and I can only suggest the poster has a very poor memory or is pissed up (no offence)

It astonishes me because Amavi is right footed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We certainly need one, can anyone think of any realistic and worthwhile options other than Rhodes? Midfield is definitely the priority though, we need to be more creative yet solid at the same time.

Would be good, and wishful thinking really, if we could get rid of some of the fairly useless players too. Those not in contention and seemingly unfancied by the manager also (inc Ayew? Has quality but what's the point if he's not going to be playing?).

If we were after a striker I would be happy with any of Rhodes, Will Grigg, Nakhi Wells, Hernandez or even Nugent. I think at this level there are quite a few that would offer something to the club but I think it should be a priority trying to get 2 or 3 players that can create chances for strikers mate. There's no point having the best attackers in the league if they will be isolated for the next 20 games.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

I cant see us going too much for a new striker. I think he wants 2 central midfielders and a left winger now. We'll find out over the next month I suppose but signing a striker now and giving them time to settle? When we have Ayew and Kodjia back in what 4 weeks or so? Most of us think Gabby and Kozak are a bit irrelevant at this stage and I think RHM would definitely be getting a chance if he signed up. But I think Bruce might play Grealish a bit more advanced off McCormack/Gabby and try and muddle through. 

We need a new striker - especially given that we've shipped out Gestede.  Even if it's just a loan signing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

If we were after a striker I would be happy with any of Rhodes, Will Grigg, Nakhi Wells, Hernandez or even Nugent. I think at this level there are quite a few that would offer something to the club but I think it should be a priority trying to get 2 or 3 players that can create chances for strikers mate. There's no point having the best attackers in the league if they will be isolated for the next 20 games.

I agree, strengthening midfield is definitely the priority and we do struggle to create chances, the players we have that possess that ability are simply too inconsistent.

We do also need a goalscorer though, honestly the only quality striker we have is Kodjia in my opinion and we are going to struggle without him. Agbonlahor is an appalling, temporary, replacement and McCormack has not been playing well at all. We should've got rid of others before Gestede imo who appeared to start the season well and was "in the mood".

• Like 1

We want to go up to the Premier League ASAP so we need to be careful how many players we buy, together with the terms of contract, because we don't want to be laboured with a squad that is only good enough for the Championship. I think loans are the way forward for us herein. Johnstone is one, I'd make Rhodes another, Jenkinson (if possible) another and maybe Matt James. We could then go and buy Lansbury and Hourihane (if they want to join) because they would be decent enough for a squad in the Premier League, whereas Westwood and Gardner have already proved they aren't up to that level. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I agree, strengthening midfield is definitely the priority and we do struggle to create chances, the players we have that possess that ability are simply too inconsistent.

We do also need a goalscorer though, honestly the only quality striker we have is Kodjia in my opinion and we are going to struggle without him. Agbonlahor is an appalling, temporary, replacement and McCormack has not been playing well at all. We should've got rid of others before Gestede imo who appeared to start the season well and was "in the mood".

I think if McCormack got the service he could do really well. He has been the best striker in the league for the last 4 or 5 years and you don't lose that overnight. At the start of the season, before he got injured, he created more chances than any other player in the league. Players need to supply him and he will score mate, he gets in good positions and can finish, with a player like Lansbury and possibly Hourihane he will start to get opportunities instead of being isolated

• Like 3