January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Fwiw, I completely agree with your point. But imagine the reaction from some had we signed a 25 year old rb from Bristol city with no experience in the Prem league and little championship experience! And if we signed players who were 'competent'. Everyone at the club would've been slated by some!

That is exactly my point.....we have wasted a kings ransom on "reputation" players as opposed to a good scouts judgment.

When we some times we bitch and say , but they are a better team.....that is sometimes the reason.....they scout better and have more time.

I think it is a big risk paying big money in our position, because in some cases the odds of getting a good one are only marginally greater.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is exactly my point.....we have wasted a kings ransom on "reputation" players as opposed to a good scouts judgment.

When we some times we bitch and say , but they are a better team.....that is sometimes the reason.....they scout better and have more time.

I think it is a big risk paying big money in our position, because in some cases the odds of getting a good one are only marginally greater.

I think that is completely true. Looking back, players like McCormack and Elphick look great on paper, plenty of experience and captain's, but you have to build your defence or attack around them and we haven't had the players to accommodate these kind of players. We signed captain's and experienced players rather than building a team. 

It feels a bit like going on football manager and signing every good player you see for a deal. Then you look at a squad sheet and see 7 strikers, 4 bad centre midfielders and 3 centre backs and think, wish I'd planned this better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think that is completely true. Looking back, players like McCormack and Elphick look great on paper, plenty of experience and captain's, but you have to build your defence or attack around them and we haven't had the players to accommodate these kind of players. We signed captain's and experienced players rather than building a team. 

We needed leaders so badly. After last year's debacle our club was desperate for people with the right attitude and I for one was delighted to see both those players join. We do need to build a team tho, something that Bruce will need 2 or 3 transfer windows to do, and the reason why we should be satisfied with a top 8 finish this year.

• Like 4

Now, I probably misheard, or it means nothing (most likely) but I am sure Alex Bruce referred to Villa as 'we' on footie focus just now. If he did I assume it was a reference to his dad being in charge and all that, but still...

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When? I can't find those tweets. If I could I'd snip them and post them up. 

Saw it on twitter earlier but am on the move so no chance to go hunt it down on me phone. From memory it was in response to some villa fan, dont think it was fabricated as not really much of an attention grabber as Nixon has been peddling this for a while..

• Like 1

Ta. 

There's no composure in centre mid. We need a Paul Scholes type, somebody to dictate the play. I was told off for recommending him in the summer, but Liam Bridcutt would have been ideal. 

I wonder if Brady could play the role. I know he's played centre mid a few times for Norwich, though I would be happy with him regardless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

Another assist for hourihane. He is a beast at this level. He is a no brainer. Scores goals. Plenty of assists and actually does his job in midfield.

Agreed. I think signing both Lansbury and Hourihane in this window might well sort our midfield creativity issues nicely.  

• Like 1

Mate who is a Barnsley fan rates him highly but says he likes to sit in the front of the back four, and push forward from there as the team gets up the field. Rather than being a real attacking CM who could play in front of another two.

So we can have another CM who wants to sit and "keep things ticking over" :)

He did say he can take a set-piece really well tho so get him the **** in.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Mate who is a Barnsley fan rates him highly but says he likes to sit in the front of the back four, and push forward from there as the team gets up the field. Rather than being a real attacking CM who could play in front of another two.

So we can have another CM who wants to sit and "keep things ticking over" :)

He did say he can take a set-piece really well tho so get him the **** in.

That's exactly what we need though and he scores goals and assists even better.

16 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I wonder if we will announce the signings we had agreements in place with?! 

Gestede looks like it will be done pronto so I reckon one or two in and announced in first week of Jan. 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I wonder if we will announce the signings we had agreements in place with?! 

I think we'll see movement once we've played tomorrow. It's a bit too close to name and get people involved now do better concentrate on the game then we've a little break to the next league game.