Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

New season full of hopes with a decent squad for this level and were left with a dire 1-1 draw and him throwing on Chris **** Samba on as a striker in the last few minutes, how ridiculous was that? I was embarrassed just watching but it sums Bruce and his philosophy up.

Subs and team selection was dreadful and we played exactly how we did under him last season, will be more of the same. Nothing Bruce has ever done anywhere in the last 10 years has been any different so im pissed off i let myself believe he would be different here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

A foreign manager new to English football, with a much more changed team, managed to pull off a 1-1 draw today. They had something like 9 chances in a row to score. I wish I was as optimistic but I'm a realist.

Which is amazing really, because apparently you need AT LEAST 36 games of the previous season, and two transfer windows and a full pre-season with your own players before you can even begin to think about producing mediocre football over 90 minutes, and even then it is too early to expect anything decent.

I don't understand how that guy at Hull has managed it. He must be cheating somehow.

But don't worry, Bruce is da man. His four previous promotions says everything will be OK.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Was thinking earlier today, " if we don't win this - and probably even if we do - the knives will be out for Bruce tonight."

And so they are. 

Really, guys, this culture of assassinating the manager has to stop. Where do you think it's going to lead us?

Well, hopefully to a manager who isnt crap! Its surprising that people cant see that the current one is.

Edited by TheStagMan

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is anyone really surprised that people that wanted Bruce gone still do with these team selections and unsurprising result?

Nope. The opposite. As @VILLAMARV said, he doesn't help himself at times. Today was one of those times. 

35 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Which is amazing really, because apparently you need AT LEAST 36 games of the previous season, and two transfer windows and a full pre-season with your own players before you can even begin to think about producing mediocre football over 90 minutes, and even then it is too early to expect anything decent.

I don't understand how that guy at Hull has managed it. He must be cheating somehow.

But don't worry, Bruce is da man. His four previous promotions says everything will be OK.

How very dare you say such things !!

• Like 1

He will not be popular at villa park if the level of football is like most of the second half. He wont be popular if we drop points at home. He won't be popular playing Samba up front.

Personally though I worry that the trend from last season of the half time team talk completely killing us and a total inability to play for 90 mnutes is going to see us out of the running sooner rather than later.

42 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Seems like a good day for you.....particularly as all the fancied teams faultered.

the title was never won on the first game of the season.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Bruce fans everywhere even you must be a tad worried ? Given he was out thought at half time by a complete and utter novice to the English game. Imo 

Not too worried as such. I make the point again that we created 4/5 decent chances in the first half hour or so, you take 2/3 of those and the last few pages of this thread look very different. I'd be more worried if we hadn't made any. 

Debatable personnel aside, he set us up well and we looked more than half decent. That said, his management of the game from there was absolutely poor. 

It's taken the shine off my confidence a bit. My worry is not that he doesn't know what needs to be done, but he's made me question his ability to do it a little bit, with some of his decisions today. 

It was closer to being really good, than really bad imo, but appreciate we all see it differently. 

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Bruce fans everywhere even you must be a tad worried ? Given he was out thought at half time by a complete and utter novice to the English game. Imo 

It is the first game dave, there is another 45 to go.....all the fancied teams slipped up too.

I don't think he was out thought, just thought he put faith in Bacuna who was woeful....i also thought their 2 centre halves had no physical challenge and as a result capitalised and Hull just fought their way back in to the game......in the second half sadly they won most aerial ball and 50/50's and started to dominate.....with the aid of the ref.

We have no target man on the books which is disappointing and Hogan struggled to get on anything....it has a knock on effect.

Its still early days.

however i thought he made the changes too late in the game.

Â