Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So in just days before the season starts he's speaking to the press about how pre season plans have been damaged by an injury to such a key player in Grealish and how his hands are tied by FFP. 

I'll be honest, I was hoping for something a bit more confident than making excuses and complaining days before kick off of the new season. 

Very different to the comments our captain made just days ago. 

I think he's starting to feel more pressure, not sure this is a good sign that he will handle it positively

That doesn't bode well.

I don't want to be over dramatic but once a manager starts speaking like he's not around for long.   (and thats not a dig at SB who I wanted, and think is the man most likely to get us promoted) 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

it's simple really the McCormack, elphick and Tish transfers have put us in this position. 20m on utter shit with very poor resale value.

this club will they never learn?!

All stemming from the utterly ridiculous appointment of RDM.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but whether Bruce is a success or not..... RDM did the most damage, he bought the players that have cost way more than they're worth and then got us off to a terrible start.

Tish and Gollini, when you pay 5 mill for a player no matter how young should be ready to perform and capable at championship level.

RMC was ridiculous at 12 mill, again that amount spent on a player, he better deliver (I expect the same from Hogan this season).

Elphick I'm not so hard on, I just think he lost confidence and at his age was unable to regain it and form. 

Its why I truly believe Bruce this season will get us promoted, ffp restrictions are irrelevant to me. Our squad is good enough. Our manager is good enough. We are Aston Villa. Its that simple!

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Nothing Bruce saying there that doesn't make sense (other than that he didn't think he'd be having to deal with it, followed by saying it was made pretty clear!).  The overall tone isn't positive, but agree with the above that Hytner has written it that way - interpreting his "overall impression" as frustrating.

He is right, that we are obviously paying for years of mismanagement...but he also has a very strong squad so can't complain too much.  Anyway, whatever his tone now, the mood will be more determined by results over the next few weeks.

(As an aside, he talks about rumoured scrapping of FFP....rules or not, I'd be more concerned for our long-term viability if we were just able to keep on spending huge fees and wages).

I think SB has had a decent summer in general terms of strengthening the squad and clearly FFP comes into play. But perhaps we should offer some credit to Keith Wyness behind the scenes for keeping the financial situation in check and making sure the manager didn't get "over excited". Because I'm sure Steve Bruce and virtually every manager would spend fortunes every window if they were allowed. That's not a dig, I'm pretty sure Brucie would put his hands up and agree. 

Steve Bruce is always best when he has a tight team to work with and little money. It is when has has free reign to spend that is all goes to rat shit.

I am okay with not spending another ridiculous amount of money this summer.

Let Steve just work with what the good core he has and get promoted. 

• Like 2

Might be taken out of context and all that.

But either way it isn't really an inspiring rallying cry from our manager for us and the players to get behind going into the first game of the season is it :(

We are the mighty Villa, hear us roar!

Meow?

• Like 1

Well an interview is going to include questions and answers, composed of words. Maybe we just have too many of these interviews these days with our insatiable need to create content for social media channels, everyone is a broadcaster now. My point being, please let the season start already. 

I read @TrentVilla post and thought ok, it makes sense, although I don't agree. Then saw @NurembergVillan post and it just blew what you said out the water Trent and made me compelled to respond.

"We are Aston Villa. It's in the name and what the club demands"

Not one ounce of excuse there and sounds like a pretty decent rallying call and a 'come on lads, let's flex our muscles and show this league what we're about'

• Like 2

The most disappointing thing about articles like that is that our own fans fall over themselves to criticise the manager without even reading it.

You'd think he'd get the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The most disappointing thing about articles like that is that our own fans fall over themselves to criticise the manager without even reading it.

I don't think anyone is falling over themselves to criticise him. I'm also unclear how you conclude people that are critical haven't read the article.

Perhaps they just have a different opinion having read it. I certainly do.

What I find dissapointing is the rush to jump on people who hold a different opinion, like they are some how not as good a fan because they dare to be critical.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I read the article. 

It helped me form my opinion on it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

What I find dissapointing is the rush to jump on people who hold a different opinion, like they are some how not as good a fan because they dare to be critical.

I'd find that disappointing too.

• Like 2

Â