Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

This is why we must keep Bruce for at least till the end of the season, and preferably till Christmas.  

Well you know my opinion of that statement

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

the massive turnover as staff at all levels is mainly the reason why we are so close to being relegated.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

The reasons why we are close to relegation are simple.

Both this seasons managers have not been able to get enough positive results/points to sit higher in the table.

They have been the managers and it was/is their responsibility to do the job effectively.

RDM did not -> got sacked

Bruce is not doing it -> Should be sacked

22 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

Exactly.  More importantly screaming for the next manager or player or anything the moment things go pear shaped is fuelling the real problem at the club.  

You alluded to it in an earlier post about individuals winning their battles rather relying on others to cover for them and bailing them out.  There is a fundemtal lack of individual and collective responsibility across the board.

You might consider that making Bruce responsible and sacking him is exactly that but it's not it's exactly the opposite.  Do you think Bruce wont bounce back from this and simply get a job elsewhere.  Of course he will he's proven at this level. So where's the pain wheres the hard work where's the responsibility.  He could simply walk away citing impossible job.  No one can fix villa.  Let the next guy try. 

This spreads to the players as well.  If an idividual has a bad game or a bad run they're not thinking ive got to raise my game ive got to strain every sinew to win every battle in the next game.  I've got to fight.  They're thinking hmm the fans want me out.  This is hard.  Why should i bother.  I'll just keep turning up and earning my cash until i get out of here.  The good ones get a move the poor ones just go through the motions.  

So in short this is currently crap but don't give the manager and players the easy out.  Nail the responsibilty to the everyone of them.  Give them a hard time for not running themselves into the ground or going 100%. but dont give Bruce the easy out of resigning because he's fighting a losing battle. 

If you think I would dismiss Bruce in order to punish him or make certain he feels adequate pain, you could not be farther from the truth.  I think he should be dismissed.  I think the board needs to strongly communicate, from the top, that mediocrity is beneath us.

Tolerance of poor effort and poorer results have plagued this club for years.  Ever since RL decided to close the checkbook.  We did "the best we could under the circumstances" and that became the endemic attitude.  The board, the managers, the players all settled for "trying"  (or what they called trying in the obvious case of some players).  THAT endemic attitude is our problem.  Letting the mighty Villa struggle along at unacceptable levels, while pretending that it's understandable, IS the problem.  

As an illustration.   What the board did to Remy, refusing to back any improvement in the January window communicated to all "we're poor (in performances and in financial backing) so we'll just hold steady and hope for better times ahead.  IMO, it was the last straw, the players adopted the same attitude (The carcass stinks from the head down)  This board and this owner have communicated that we are not poor financially, they need to equally and resoundingly state with their actions, that we are not content with poor results.  

Letting Bruce continue with horrible results is perpetuating our self-inflicted curse.

I would have let Bruce go this past weekend, but I hope he finds a new club and enjoys working there.  I have no desire that he experience any pain whatsoever.  

• Like 1

Excellent Steve. So 3 at the back was just something you thought you'd fancy. Now we'll try something new. So Sherwood. 

Just curious why you didn't have a plan? Why in the months before January didn't you have a plan? So that players signed would fit the system and style you planned for? Why aren't we building something here?

Let's just try different things and hope it clicks. 

As I've said previously, I think every day with this man is now wasted time. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

I'm hoping it's not pressure which made him change the system as it would be a bad sign.

Actually thought he would have persisted at least once more, really does make it look like he wasn't sure to begin with!

Either way I obviously hope it works out.

19 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

If you think I would dismiss Bruce in order to punish him or make certain he feels adequate pain, you could not be farther from the truth.  I think he should be dismissed.  I think the board needs to strongly communicate, from the top, that mediocrity is beneath us.

Tolerance of poor effort and poorer results have plagued this club for years.  Ever since RL decided to close the checkbook.  We did "the best we could under the circumstances" and that became the endemic attitude.  The board, the managers, the players all settled for "trying"  (or what they called trying in the obvious case of some players).  THAT endemic attitude is our problem.  Letting the mighty Villa struggle along at unacceptable levels, while pretending that it's understandable, IS the problem.  

As an illustration.   What the board did to Remy, refusing to back any improvement in the January window communicated to all "we're poor (in performances and in financial backing) so we'll just hold steady and hope for better times ahead.  IMO, it was the last straw, the players adopted the same attitude (The carcass stinks from the head down)  This board and this owner have communicated that we are not poor financially, they need to equally and resoundingly state with their actions, that we are not content with poor results.  

Letting Bruce continue with horrible results is perpetuating our self-inflicted curse.

I would have let Bruce go this past weekend, but I hope he finds a new club and enjoys working there.  I have no desire that he experience any pain whatsoever.  

You completely and utterly missed the point there.  You couldn't have misinterpreted/ignored my point if you'd tried as hard as you could to willfully and deliberately do so and spent weeks formulating the completely wrong response.

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:

You completely and utterly missed the point there.  You couldn't have misinterpreted/ignored my point if you'd tried as hard as you could to willfully and deliberately do so and spent weeks formulating the completely wrong response.

I'll accept your word that I misunderstood you.  But rather than just criticize me, could you try to be more clear?  I think this was the bit I apparently most misunderstood.

"Do you think Bruce wont bounce back from this and simply get a job elsewhere.  Of course he will he's proven at this level. So where's the pain wheres the hard work where's the responsibility.  "

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

I think Bruce should be replaced.  It's time.  But I am a fan, gainfully employed in a non-sport role.  I am not a paid board member.  The fact that I do not know every potential manager in the universe, their experiences, strengths, weaknesses, records, wage demands, etc, does not mean that I am wrong about replacing Bruce being in the best interest of the club.

but that is tantamount to saying.....as long as he is not there it has got to be better......has it?

We have been saying that with the last 3 managers.....and we are still there.

How long does this PLAN go on for?

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

Exactly.  More importantly screaming for the next manager or player or anything the moment things go pear shaped is fuelling the real problem at the club.  

You alluded to it in an earlier post about individuals winning their battles rather relying on others to cover for them and bailing them out.  There is a fundemtal lack of individual and collective responsibility across the board.

You might consider that making Bruce responsible and sacking him is exactly that but it's not it's exactly the opposite.  Do you think Bruce wont bounce back from this and simply get a job elsewhere.  Of course he will he's proven at this level. So where's the pain wheres the hard work where's the responsibility.  He could simply walk away citing impossible job.  No one can fix villa.  Let the next guy try. 

This spreads to the players as well.  If an idividual has a bad game or a bad run they're not thinking ive got to raise my game ive got to strain every sinew to win every battle in the next game.  I've got to fight.  They're thinking hmm the fans want me out.  This is hard.  Why should i bother.  I'll just keep turning up and earning my cash until i get out of here.  The good ones get a move the poor ones just go through the motions.  

So in short this is currently crap but don't give the manager and players the easy out.  Nail the responsibilty to the everyone of them.  Give them a hard time for not running themselves into the ground or going 100%. but dont give Bruce the easy out of resigning because he's fighting a losing battle. 

Brilliant post.

They have got to fight their way out of this ......no more running away.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Lambert would not be called progressive even in Scotland.

Garde, just like Sherwood didn't really make a conscious long term career move to become manager. They just found themselves in that position because the spot opened up at the club they were working at. They both lacked the fundamental foundation and education to be a good manager. (IMO)

Same could probably be said about Di Matteo...

These kind of appointments can work out, but more often than not they don't.

They are all young (ish) but I would not call any of them progressive.

Bit late, and possibly off topic - are you referring to pre-Villa Lambert or latter-day Villa Lambert here? IMO, there's a vast difference. His years at Villa involved a 180 degree turn from the 'you may indeed score, but we'll outscore you nevertheless' mindset that originally brought him to Villa to the 'batten down the hatches and hope for a nil-nil win' that eventually saw him out.

And I just cannot fathom how anyone would want to tar Sherwood, Di Matteo and Garde with the same brush unless their disastrous time at Villa is the only factor. Even then, you might want to consider the money allotted to each of them during transfer windows.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

but that is tantamount to saying.....as long as he is not there it has got to be better....

No it's not.  it's saying he should be replaced, without accepting the responsibility to name a replacement.

• Like 1

Â