Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He's partly responsible for the club nearly going out of existence. As a manaer I file him next to the likes of Paul Ince, Stuat Pearce, Dean Saunders and so on, only reason Bruce has done any better than those is because he's been lucky enough to have a lot of money to spend. If you'd have given Mick McCarthy the same jobs that Bruce has had he would have done a much better job.

Edited by useless

27 minutes ago, useless said:

He's partly responsible for the club nearly going out of existence. As a manaer I file him next to the likes of Paul Ince, Stuat Pearce, Dean Saunders and so on, only reason Bruce has done any better than those is because he's been lucky enough to have a lot of money to spend. If you'd have given Mick McCarthy the same jobs that Bruce has had he would have done a much better job.

Di Matteo:

Spent: £60,500,000 Received: £17,100,000 So Net Spend was £-43,400,000

Bruce:

Spent: £35,650,000  Received: £15,750,000 So Net Spend Was £-19,900,000

Whilst Bruce isn't clear of blame (should have approached the playoff final like he approached Wolves at Home) but looking at those spending figures the damage to our financial future was already done before he arrived because despite the Huge (for the championship) spending of RDM there was still massive faults in our squad.  

I would also say that a huge part of stopping the slide was down to signing John Terry who Bruce played a big part in getting here, for example if it was Smith instead of Bruce (I think i need to add here that I like Smith i'm happy he is our manager and i think he should be kept on even if we do get relegated) do you think he'd have been able to get him here, Yes I know he got him as coach but Terry had already fallen in love with us and he also strikes me as someone who hates failure so convincing him to come here to complete the job he was set when 1st sign wouldn't have been a difficult task.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yes I read your comment 🙄

You are the only person to mention worst manager ever

Maybe I should have simplified my comment for you i do apologise i didn't think i'd need to to be honest i'll dumb stuff down in future, It was meant as a bit of humour as from reading the comments here you definitely get the impression (see i did explain in future posts to you but i'll carry on anyway)  that a memo has been sent saying that he is the worst.

Now if you still don't get it i don't care as i'm bored with going around in circles with you.

3 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Maybe I should have simplified my comment for you i do apologise i didn't think i'd need to to be honest i'll dumb stuff down in future, It was meant as a bit of humour as from reading the comments here you definitely get the impression (see i did explain in future posts to you but i'll carry on anyway)  that a memo has been sent saying that he is the worst.

Now if you still don't get it i don't care as i'm bored with going around in circles with you.

Thank you for breaking down your hilarious joke. I completely understand it now. What a relief

2 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Because I don't care what Bruce has done well or not well at Newcastle I i only care about what he did here.

Well he's at Newcastle now so this thread is basically an auxillary Newcastle thread. I care about what he's doing now because he's managing a relegation rival and I couldn't be gladder. His time with us thankfully seems eons ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Di Matteo:

Spent: £60,500,000 Received: £17,100,000 So Net Spend was £-43,400,000

Bruce:

Spent: £35,650,000  Received: £15,750,000 So Net Spend Was £-19,900,000

Whilst Bruce isn't clear of blame (should have approached the playoff final like he approached Wolves at Home) but looking at those spending figures the damage to our financial future was already done before he arrived because despite the Huge (for the championship) spending of RDM there was still massive faults in our squad. 

Do those figures only take into account transfer fees? Because if they do, that’s missing a huge chunk of money that he had at his disposal, that went on wages (and potentially loan fees) for Johnstone, Snodgrass, Terry, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, Onomah, Grabban, El Ghazi, Abraham & Moreira.

You’re right, that RDM waste a huge amount of money at Villa, and if he was managing (and making the same mistakes at) a club in the Prem, we’d be talking about him too.

The thing with Bruce, is that he failed at Villa. By the end everyone (who wanted to) could see his flaws. He’s an arrogant, short-sighted, tactically terrible manager who keeps his reputation intact by blaming everyone else, going on the defensive and getting his media mates to back him up.

Who remembers him coming out with “Who else can they get that’s better?” whilst doing terribly for Villa, and then all of the journos agreeing with him, despite the fans knowing that it was the worst football we’d seen since McLeish, Garde or Lambert’s last season, and he probably had more money to spend than those managers, and whilst in a worse league too.

• Like 1

If 1 looks at Di Matteos signings it was only really McCormack, Tshibola, and Gollini that you could say were a waste of money and I think I'm right in saying that we got most of our money back for Gollini so that just leaves McCormack and Tshioboa who cost £17m if reports are to believed. In the next transfer window Bruce brought in Hogan, Lansbury, Bree, Bjarnason, Hourihane and Bedeau for a cool circa £20m, and when you consider that it's only really Hourihane out of those that's made any sort of an impact you could say that Bruce wasted just as much money in January as did Di Matteo the previous summer. Also Di Matteo signed Kodjia, Chester, Adomah, Jedinak without whom Bruce probably would have relegated us in first season (no offence to Bruce).

54 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Do those figures only take into account transfer fees? Because if they do, that’s missing a huge chunk of money that he had at his disposal, that went on wages (and potentially loan fees) for Johnstone, Snodgrass, Terry, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, Onomah, Grabban, El Ghazi, Abraham & Moreira.

You’re right, that RDM waste a huge amount of money at Villa, and if he was managing (and making the same mistakes at) a club in the Prem, we’d be talking about him too.

The thing with Bruce, is that he failed at Villa. By the end everyone (who wanted to) could see his flaws. He’s an arrogant, short-sighted, tactically terrible manager who keeps his reputation intact by blaming everyone else, going on the defensive and getting his media mates to back him up.

Who remembers him coming out with “Who else can they get that’s better?” whilst doing terribly for Villa, and then all of the journos agreeing with him, despite the fans knowing that it was the worst football we’d seen since McLeish, Garde or Lambert’s last season, and he probably had more money to spend than those managers, and whilst in a worse league too.

Johnstone - Did well for us would have signed him had our new owners arrived earlier imo.

Snodgrass - Was excellent for us was an integral part that got us so so close to the premier league

Grabban - See Snodgrass and ended that season with the championship Golden Boot

Terry - Helped massively to instil the correct mentality into the dressing room that had stunk of failure for so many years.

Tuanzebe - 1st season did well until injury then last season was an integral member of the defence that got us promoted

El Ghazi - Played a massive part in getting us promoted

Abraham - His Goals got us promoted. imo he is the reason we are in the Premier League now. As if it wasn't for his goals whilst the owners were imo keeping Bruce on whilst they sorted the club out and got the correct advice about who to replace him with we simply would have had no chance of promotion.

I'm a bit confused why you mentioned those because they might get Bruce close to what RDM spent but the value we got from them isn't even close to RDM. Out of 10 signings you showed 3 were duds although Bolasie was good in parts something was strange about this one though as it seemed to all go wrong when Smith came in even though on paper he should have been the happiest to see Smith. 

Edited by Stuartc445

3 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

I don’t want to be a word removed, but I’m going to. Pathetic post.

2 hours ago, useless said:

If 1 looks at Di Matteos signings it was only really McCormack, Tshibola, and Gollini that you could say were a waste of money and I think I'm right in saying that we got most of our money back for Gollini so that just leaves McCormack and Tshioboa who cost £17m if reports are to believed. In the next transfer window Bruce brought in Hogan, Lansbury, Bree, Bjarnason, Hourihane and Bedeau for a cool circa £20m, and when you consider that it's only really Hourihane out of those that's made any sort of an impact you could say that Bruce wasted just as much money in January as did Di Matteo the previous summer. Also Di Matteo signed Kodjia, Chester, Adomah, Jedinak without whom Bruce probably would have relegated us in first season (no offence to Bruce).

I thought Di Matteo and Bruce ballsed up by creating such unbalanced squads.  Di Matteo's problem was midfield and Bruce was defence.  You can kind of understand with Di Matteo as he was starting from scratch with a team that just got relegated but Bruce had been in charge for over a season before leaving the squad with one centre half.  God knows what he was thinking last summer.

Bruce deserves credit for stabilising the club when he took over in 16/17 and pushing for promotion in 17/18. But how he prepared us for the 18/19 season with in regards to leaving us so short at the back and possibly shaving years off James Chester playing career due to his mismanagement of the squad deserves harsh criticism. 

credit for stabilising us

criticism for destabilising us

he deserves both, were we really any better when he left than when he joined? I don't think so

I also don't like pointing at el ghazi and tuanzebe as examples of good bruce signings, they were the opposite, good players that he didn't know how to use, el ghazi was in and out of the team and tuanzebe was playing RB, then are a few more players that bruce brought in that were pointless because he didn't use them

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Johnstone - Did well for us would have signed him had our new owners arrived earlier imo.

Snodgrass - Was excellent for us was an integral part that got us so so close to the premier league

Grabban - See Snodgrass and ended that season with the championship Golden Boot

Terry - Helped massively to instil the correct mentality into the dressing room that had stunk of failure for so many years.

Tuanzebe - 1st season did well until injury then last season was an integral member of the defence that got us promoted

El Ghazi - Played a massive part in getting us promoted

Abraham - His Goals got us promoted. imo he is the reason we are in the Premier League now. As if it wasn't for his goals whilst the owners were imo keeping Bruce on whilst they sorted the club out and got the correct advice about who to replace him with we simply would have had no chance of promotion.

I'm a bit confused why you mentioned those because they might get Bruce close to what RDM spent but the value we got from them isn't even close to RDM. Out of 10 signings you showed 3 were duds although Bolasie was good in parts something was strange about this one though as it seemed to all go wrong when Smith came in even though on paper he should have been the happiest to see Smith. 

Not the first time in this thread, you seem to have completely missed the point.

I haven’t listed those players to show that Steve Bruce signed bad players. I’ve listed them to show the money he had available to him, in response to your post that, presumably, was a defence of him having a lot to spend, as you made a comparison of the spending done by Bruce and RDM.

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Found Alex Bruce's account.,

Nice just because I am not prepared to ignore the good Bruce did and I refuse to slag him off because I have moved on I must be Alex Bruce. 

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic 

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Well he's at Newcastle now so this thread is basically an auxillary Newcastle thread. I care about what he's doing now because he's managing a relegation rival and I couldn't be gladder. His time with us thankfully seems eons ago.

No it doesn't we already have a Newcastle United thread called lets all laugh at Newcastle (again). 

To be fair I can see how you'd struggle to find it because it's not like it has Newcastle in the title.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Â