Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 06/10/2019 at 20:54, bobzy said:

Maybe. I’d have expected them to lose to all of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester and Man Utd though. 

Have to be honest I don't really dislike Steve Bruce that much so have no axe to grind with him other than poor tactics in games like play off final which could've easily set us back five years.

To put some context Newcastle have form for this:

In 15/16 under Steve McClaren they drew 2-2 with Chelsea, beat Liverpool 2-0 and won 2-1 at Spurs up to December of that season. Also drew 0-0 and 3-3 v Man. United. So they were picking up good number of points against that season's top 6.

McClaren still left them in dismal position when he was sacked as they simply couldn't beat enough of the poor teams home or away (they also drew 1-1 at home with us when Garde was in charge) so can see same happening this season.

Have to say Schar has been a brilliant signing for them, 3m last summer is one of bargains of last few years of any prem club. Was great yesterday. Was hyped years ago at Basle but saw him a bit at Deportivo La Coruna and looked like a career that was just drifting.

Was going to say I wouldn't mind us having a look if they go down but we are well stocked in that area to say the least.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

yet nobody has ever said that last phrase

Read this thread and that is 100% impression you get. 

An outsider reading this thread would think under Bruce we were uncompetitive and falling straight through the leagues. Whereas the facts are he was the 1st manager since 2010 to get us competitive but hey let's stick to the worst ever manager line. 

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

apart from...someone pull up the PL era managers who have more than 100 games in charge

then yes he is actually the worst manager

But we weren't in the premier league when he managed us.  Bizzare to compare his premier league record when hasn't managed 1 game of ours in the premier league. 

But as I have said let's stick to the worst manager ever line because it's not like we were completely in a tail spin before he came and he managed to stop it. Because that didn't happen did it. 

7 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Read this thread and that is 100% impression you get. 

An outsider reading this thread would think under Bruce we were uncompetitive and falling straight through the leagues. Whereas the facts are he was the 1st manager since 2010 to get us competitive but hey let's stick to the worst ever manager line. 

So your saying that the impression is that he is the worst manager ever but the only person that ever posted it is you :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

So your saying that the impression is that he is the worst manager ever but the only person that ever posted it is you :rolleyes:

I suggest you read this thread because clearly you haven't. Honestly some of the posts you'd think we were fighting relegation to league 1 under him not narrowly missing out on promotion to the Premier League in a playoff final. 

21 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

I suggest you read this thread because clearly you haven't. Honestly some of the posts you'd think we were fighting relegation to league 1 under him not narrowly missing out on promotion to the Premier League in a playoff final. 

but nobody said he was the worst manager in history

34 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

I don't think anyone has even discussed his time at Villa for a long time.

Rather than just defending him as "not the worst ever", why don't you tell people why they are wrong and the things he has done well at Newcastle?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think anyone has even discussed his time at Villa for a long time.

Rather than just defending him as "not the worst ever", why don't you tell people why they are wrong and the things he has done well at Newcastle?

Because I don't care what Bruce has done well or not well at Newcastle I i only care about what he did here.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

but nobody said he was the worst manager in history

Again try reading what I said: 

1) "Honestly some of the posts you'd think we were fighting relegation to league 1 under him not narrowly missing out on promotion to the Premier League in a playoff final. "

2) "Read this thread and that is 100% impression you get. An outsider reading this thread would think under Bruce we were uncompetitive and falling straight through the leagues. Whereas the facts are he was the 1st manager since 2010 to get us competitive but hey let's stick to the worst ever manager line."

So i suggest you actually read what I have said then you'd see i haven't said what you keep saying i have.  Now you've read what I have put you will see i said if you were someone who had no idea what Bruce did here you'd think he was the one responsible for us being relegated to the championship. 

On 07/10/2019 at 10:11, Stuartc445 said:

Careful with the not slating Bruce comments.

Did you not get the memo? Bruce is the worst manager to ever manage a team since Football was invented 

Yes I read your comment 🙄

You are the only person to mention worst manager ever

Edited by Zatman

5 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

So i suggest you actually read what I have said then you'd see i haven't said what you keep saying i have.  Now you've read what I have put you will see i said if you were someone who had no idea what Bruce did here you'd think he was the one responsible for us being relegated to the championship. 

Whereas, in reality, he was the mastermind who:

- Threw away the play-off final by playing with little attacking intent

- Started a season with 1 senior centreback, sending our other one away on loan

- Spent £12m on Hogan, and then never properly fit him into a team

- Had a go at the fans on a fairly regular basis (such as ‘that’ll shut them up’ comments after an amazing win against the mighty Rotherham)

- Brought in a load of loans and old players, giving Villa no future sell-ons or, realistically, a plan for the following season

- Played Jedinak at centreback, Tuanzebe at rightback, oh and threw Chris Samba upfront

- Kept touting the ‘no money’ line, despite spending loads on fees and wages

- Started his last season as one of the promotion favourites, and then won 3 of 11 games, largely against lower half opposition

So, yeah, no one is saying he’s the worst manager ever. He had his positives, for sure, (he stopped the RDM rot, he signed McGinn, some of his loans were great (Snoddy, Terry, Tammy)), but there is also a LOT that he did wrong at Villa, which is why people don’t speak too fondly.

But, of course, you know all this. So I’m not sure why you’re concocting this idea that we think he’s the worst manager ever. He’s crap, that’s all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

If you were someone who had no idea what Bruce did here you'd think he was the one responsible for us being relegated to the championship. 

He's responsible for me walking away

I wasn't paying to watch his shit football any more, 10 years as a ST holder, fair few of them years going home and away, watching them in Europe and going to pre season, not even ginger bollocks broke me, Bruce did, I'd rather stay at home than watch his football and listen to his shit 

He's a massive asshole who gets away with murder thanks to his mates in the old boy society and bringing biscuits to his press conferences 

• Like 3

Â