Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay sure, I mean he's not even the worst Manager we've had in the past 5 years but yeah.....worst ever........

it's not even worth it mate...the manager that has divided opinions most in history...definitely. you wont sway opinions like that. some just have it in for him, based on what i do not know

I think a lot of the hatred for Bruce is centered around the fact that his style of play is just so turgid and defensive. He doesn't even try and win a lot of games. What we saw last night was how we frequently used to set up against teams in the Championship, even though we were often the favourites. And for what? It doesn't even work a lot of the time, yet he still does it.

• Like 2

Bruce is a different kind of bad

take garde for example, his shortcomings as a villa manager are for complete different reasons than bruce so its very hard to compare the 2

Bruce's shortcomings, arrogance surrounding them and then (continued) defence from his media mates pissed me off far more than any villa manager we've ever had, more so than McLeish 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I think a lot of the hatred for Bruce is centered around the fact that his style of play is just so turgid and defensive. He doesn't even try and win a lot of games. What we saw last night was how we frequently used to set up against teams in the Championship, even though we were often the favourites. And for what? It doesn't even work a lot of the time, yet he still does it.

nail on the head

again remi garde being shit, with gabby in there, Richards and lescott in there, the heads had gone and he wasn't turning us around, I had a degree of sympathy for him, bruce on the other hand had the squad, had the strikers and yet still set us up to try and snatch wins and then played the woe is me card, that I cant sympathise with

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nail on the head

again remi garde being shit, with gabby in there, Richards and lescott in there, the heads had gone and he wasn't turning us around, I had a degree of sympathy for him, bruce on the other hand had the squad, had the strikers and yet still set us up to try and snatch wins and then played the woe is me card, that I cant sympathise with

Bruce had gabby and Richards.......don’t suppose facts really count for much these days though.

55 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Bruce had gabby and Richards.......don’t suppose facts really count for much these days though.

and both of them played similar roles under both managers? both of them had the same care free blame it on lerner attitude?

of course they didn't

we didn't get relegated because garde was a shit manager

Bruce was alright.  We won more than we lost, and we often won by a couple of goals. 

I just think his "philosophy" is "be defensively responsible and the rest will be OK".  Where as Dean Smith's philosophy is "we'll go out and score".  

And as much as football Clubs are businesses, a lot of businesses will go down the route of "safety first".  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Wigan were an attacking team, they stayed up and punched above their weight for a few years, Brighton are currently doing it (although in Houghton's last months they went defensive), Norwich attack, Fulham did.  Some stay up, some go down.

It's got to be same with defensive minded clubs as well, some up, some down.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Has everyone forgotten how the clown directly criticised the fans on numerous occasions. Well guess who laughed last and loudest Brucey 😁

He had dogs abuse aimed at him. Yes he sniped back, but can hardly blame him or hold it against him. People seem to forget that players and managers are human.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

He had dogs abuse aimed at him. Yes he sniped back, but can hardly blame him or hold it against him. People seem to forget that players and managers are human.

I am sure Bruce threw the first barb. He got a lot more rope than many other Villa managers including Smith 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's not even worth it mate...the manager that has divided opinions most in history...definitely. you wont sway opinions like that. some just have it in for him, based on what i do not know

Based on him being shit, wasting the chance of a lifetime and almost destroying this club, being a mammoth bell-end to the fans all whilst proclaiming what a nice guy he is. Add to that the twaddle he spouted before the game about how unfairly he was treated and really wanted to beat us. But don't let that stop your Brucie love-in eh?

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Di Matteo much worse than Bruce was for us.

If he had been given as long and as much time and support as Bruce got he is unlikely to have done any worse than Bruce.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rubbish, he delivered a good 12 months of turgidity before he started getting any sort of serious criticism.

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and both of them played similar roles under both managers? both of them had the same care free blame it on lerner attitude?

of course they didn't

we didn't get relegated because garde was a shit manager

I don't follow sorry.

But no, we did not get relegated solely because of Garde but was he a contributing factor? Damn right he was.

It amazes me how much of a free pass he gets just because of surrounding factors, he was awful, won what - 2 games in 20+?

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sure Bruce threw the first barb. He got a lot more rope than many other Villa managers including Smith 

what, so bruce aimed an unprovoked attack on the fans?

Â