Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Utterly bizarre to suggest they haven’t had a significantly harder start than us. 

Significantly? I guess that's subjective. I tried to be as objective as I could and use league placings, but there's still a lot more to take into account for context like form and current situations. For example Watford finished 11th last season but are bottom this season. Conversely United were 6th, but are currently playing like they're 16th.

Them facing Liverpool makes their start undoubtedly harder than ours, but apart from that, there's really not much in it. We faced 3 of the same teams as well. I personally wouldn't say it's significantly harder.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

Maybe. I’d have expected them to lose to all of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester and Man Utd though. 

Careful with the not slating Bruce comments.

Did you not get the memo? Bruce is the worst manager to ever manage a team since Football was invented 

Edited by Stuartc445
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Careful with the not slating Bruce comments.

Did you not get the memo? Bruce is the worst manager to ever manage a team since Football was invented 

yet nobody has ever said that last phrase

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

As unpopular as he is here that's a very good win for them yesterday. Two wins against spurs and united.

I agree, there would be moist knickers in the Dean Smith if we'd achieved that.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Said yesterday he reverted back to Benitez style of play defending in low blocks and hitting teams on the counter.

Seemed to have worked

It did make me laugh by labouring the point the whole week that he didn't have the players to play 'his style' so he'd have to go back to Rafa's tactics (1 week after letting it be known tactics are bollocks) he has undermined any credit for the win.

Newcastle have been playing defensively all season, the stats bear that out, him saying that he was going to have to stop playing attacking football and revert back to Benitez tactics was just another one of his excuses. Also the only reason that he started Matty Longstaff yesterday was so he'd have a ready made excuse if things went badly for them and he could turn around and say that he gave the youngsters a chance in the middle of the park.

All that said you can't take away from what's been a decent haul of points from them given their fixtures, I agree that if we'd have gotten the same results people would be very happy with that return, and if Newcastle had have played our fixtures and got the same results people would be playing those results down. To be honest as bad as a manager Bruce is I didn't see them as clear relegation contenders at the start of the season, because they've have a squad that's finished comfortably midtable the last two seasons, and as good as manager Benitez is, I don't think he's the difference between bottom three and midtable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Newcastle have been playing defensively all season, the stats bear that out, him saying that he was going to have to stop playing attacking football and revert back to Benitez tactics was just another one of his excuses. Also the only reason that he started Matty Longstaff yesterday was so he'd have a ready made excuse if things went badly for them and he could turn around and say that he gave the youngsters a chance in the middle of the park.

All that said you can't take away from what's been a decent haul of points from them given their fixtures, I agree that if we'd have gotten the same results people would be very happy with that return, and if Newcastle had have played our fixtures and got the same results people would be playing those results down. To be honest as bad as a manager Bruce is I didn't see them as clear relegation contenders at the start of the season, because they've have a squad that's finished comfortably midtable the last two seasons, and as good as manager Benitez is, I don't think he's the difference between bottom three and midtable.

We would be happy with the points haul, but I doubt we'd be optimistic for the season ahead. Playing negative football can only get you so far, and for so long.

Look at Pulis, I'm sure his Baggies team beat a few big teams too, but then when your tactical options are 'defensive' or 'ultra defensive' your options are somewhat limited. :lol:

I'm sure Newcastle will pull off a few more unexpected wins this season, and yet they'll still probably be in a relegation battle because they'll fail to beat all the 'lesser' teams that come to play them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It did make me laugh by labouring the point the whole week that he didn't have the players to play 'his style' so he'd have to go back to Rafa's tactics (1 week after letting it be known tactics are bollocks) he has undermined any credit for the win.

It made me laugh that he genuinely said "put wor boots on" during the post-match interview on 5Live yesterday.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

We would be happy with the points haul, but I doubt we'd be optimistic for the season ahead. Playing negative football can only get you so far, and for so long.

It has got them mid table finishes for the previous 2 seasons under rafa, They have consistently been at/near the bottom of goals scored, chances created, shots per game, dribbles per game, number of passes, pass completion %, possession stats for the last 2 years, The only thing the come near the top of for anything is the amount of long balls played, shots from long range & fouls committed. They have achieved mid table finishes by generally not dropping points to the bottom 6 & grabbing a few wins against bigger teams. Nothing has really changed other than the waistline of the manager

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

It has got them mid table finishes for the previous 2 seasons under rafa, They have consistently been at/near the bottom of goals scored, chances created, shots per game, dribbles per game, number of passes, pass completion %, possession stats for the last 2 years, The only thing the come near the top of for anything is the amount of long balls played, shots from long range & fouls committed. They have achieved mid table finishes by generally not dropping points to the bottom 6 & grabbing a few wins against bigger teams. Nothing has really changed other than the waistline of the manager

I might be wrong, but I see Rafa as more tactically astute than Bruce's tactically absent. Obviously they both play a defensive style, but Rafa's achievements with it dwarf Bruce's, so when looking at whatever they were good & bad at last year, I would expect the 'bad' to remain bad, and the 'good' to get worse :D

I'm sure I read from somewhere that at Villa, Bruce didn't even attend the majority of the training sessions. I always get the impression that his tactical approach is pretty much "Give it to [insert players name] and let him whack it at goal". For them it'll be Carroll, for us it was often Snoddy.

Yeah it's not simply that he's defensive, it's that he generally doesn't have a clue tactically. If he were Allardyce or Pulis, I'd be much more secure about our prospects if I were a Newcastle fan. I would hate the football, and I'd inevitably get fed up...but I wouldn't fear the worst for my club because as ugly as their football is, their teams are always very well drilled and set up to play a certain way. The same goes for say Sean Dyche. If survival is your aim, this is perfect. But if you have any ambition beyond that, you'll eventually have to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Â