Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't blame Bruce directly for all these errors, but it is getting a bit weary and predictable.

The football lacks conviction for me but  in some ways ,we did enough to win 2 matches .....Their goal was predictable, the odd punt downfield and the walls of jericho come tumbling down.

The game itself was riddled with indecision and slow thinking and reactive action and lethargy.

He won't last long playing like this.

PS What is it with this ridiculous decision to have no player up field when we defend corners?

It wasn't that long ago when you were defending his corner policy, if it meant him keeping his job, besides,  he's done that at every club he has Been at. Defence is always prominent in his thinking, and it will most likely lead to his downfall. We seem yet again to have let what momentum we had slip away. That will feel like a defeat, and consequently heads will be down. I just hope we can recover and not be too disheartened by, what really should of been three points.

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I just hope we can recover and not be too disheartened by, what really should of been three points.

My thoughts exactly, still think we can kick on here and have a very successful season. 

I think this moving to playing on the front foot will be a bit of a transitional period though , while being nicer to watch it does leave you more exposed to counters and you also need to be able to breakdown smaller teams parking the bus. Even though I appreciate Bruce as a good manager for this level and am happy with him, I'm not sure this style is in his comfort zone, will become more clear in the coming months. 

I think we need a COACH , someone like Biesla who comes in and develops how a team plays ..Bruce isn't capable of this and clearly none of the 3 coaches he has under him are able to do it either !!

I often moan to  non Villa fan friend about out style of play etc , he watched the game against Brentford and his comments where we do have no style and no real plan .

We all know the issues we have had and that we lost players for various reasons last season but we have a team going  out every week who don't seem to know what the game plan is and Bruce's answer to this is to go back to the transfer market. Just how many players has he brought in over the last 2 years and yet 3 of the 4 back four where already here ! His main midfielder was already here the main striker was already here !!

Kodjia isn't really a target man and doesn't suit this formation ..but the Striker he did buy Hogan is even more out of place in it !! 

We are unbeaten however when 2 games are draws against the current bottom 2 its not a great stat ..and furthermore when you are looking to be promoted just not being beaten isn't enough you need 3 points , 3 points from 9 is not promotion form .

• Like 2

It's too familiar to last year whereas other clubs excel. Even Boro who play a similar style of football manage to grind out the wins but we lack the composure to do so. How can we all see Jedinak is not a CB but Steve Bruce doesn't? Frustrating and it will cost Bruce his job.

Looking on the bright side, if there really is one, there will be no more excuses after this window if Bruce is not hitting his targets. To sign Bolasie, El Ghazi plus whoever else we bring in this week (hopefully Abraham and Targett) is more than some PL managers have had the fortune of signing. This squad should be Top 2 and it might be my blinkered view, given my love for this club, but anything else is unacceptable.

I can see him getting at least 10 games and then a decision will be made if we are not challenging. I wouldn't mind him going now but it's just too unrealistic to think that will happen...sadly.

• Like 2

Just now, guyavfc said:

It's too familiar to last year whereas other clubs excel. Even Boro who play a similar style of football manage to grind out the wins but we lack the composure to do so. How can we all see Jedinak is not a CB but Steve Bruce doesn't? Frustrating and it will cost Bruce his job.

Boro grind out results because Pulis has a track record of organising a defence. Bruce is neither particularly great nor terrible at organising a defence or attack, hence the inconsistent performances. 

4 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

Boro didn't grind out a result against us in either of the two playoff games last season, barely had a shot of note as I recall. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Boro grind out results because Pulis has a track record of organising a defence. Bruce is neither particularly great nor terrible at organising a defence or attack, hence the inconsistent performances. 

So Average then?

8 hours ago, av1 said:

My boy is on holiday with his mom this week so i upgraded his ST and took my brother today. My brother will claim he's a villa fan but hasn't been for about 15yrs and acknowledged on the way there that he couldn't even name 2 players in the squad, so it was interesting to get the thoughts of someone that has no real emotional attachment to the club. 

Throughout the game he kept saying it felt like a training session, that there was no urgency at all and that the team looked disjointed and players didn't look like they knew what they was meant to be doing. 

When we was walking down the steps of the Holte after the game with me feeling really dejected he said:

'Fecking hell, And you do this shit every week? Fair play'

Watching this crap is draining, there will be another squad build next season when he fails again to take us up and going into our 4th season with this guy in charge we will be back to square one. The sooner the guy is gone the better. 

'

It won't keep happening, no it won't.

They won't allow us to keep changing players and get the same results.....We are meant to be improving. He said himself that we have been changing players over the years that are no better than the ones we have got.

Well a team with Bacuna in has just relieved us of 2 points at home.

Our players are not imposing their allegedly superior skills sufficiently enough for 90 odd minutes.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It won't keep happening, no it won't.

They won't allow us to keep changing players and get the same results.....We are meant to be improving. He said himself that we have been changing players over the years that are no better than the ones we have got.

Well a team with Bacuna in has just relieved us of 2 points at home.

Our players are not imposing their allegedly superior skills sufficiently enough for 90 odd minutes.

Management has to be about improving the players you have as well as signing better players from outside.  Apart from Jack, I can't think of anyone who has improved in the time Bruce has been here.  

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It wasn't that long ago when you were defending his corner policy, if it meant him keeping his job, besides,  he's done that at every club he has Been at. Defence is always prominent in his thinking, and it will most likely lead to his downfall. We seem yet again to have let what momentum we had slip away. That will feel like a defeat, and consequently heads will be down. I just hope we can recover and not be too disheartened by, what really should of been three points.

Firstly, I don't remember that......have you been dreaming it.

secondly, ironically its the defensive side of our game that's letting us down.....in terms of points tossed away.....we simply can't keep a clean sheet.

and further irony, Brentford and Reading could so easily have taken maximum points.

While our defensive frailties are the result of individual errors in the main......We simply don't kill teams off with this pithering style of offensive work, its just totally indecisive and frustrating.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

6 points dropped in the last 3 games -

- 2 of those 3 teams are in the bottom 3 in the league.

4 of the 6 pts dropped happened in our last 2 home games.

This is completely unacceptable.

It seems that the teams that get under our feet, so to speak, cause us more problems.....Its conviction we seem to lack.

Â