Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, bobzy said:

Oooh, fair - did not know this at all.  He's fine there, let's bring him in.

I had no idea either :D

Just checked, it's the internet so it might very well to totally false...

24 minutes ago, PhilGibson said:

One thing I will say I absolutely think with our midfield if we continue with kodjia up front we will continue to struggle. We need a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game. We would then get runners into the box and create more in the final 3rd.

Kodjia is not a central lone striker and never will be, he doesn't have it in his game, too individual which is brilliant at times and frustrating as hell at others.

This is why for all of our possession and defensive frailties our biggest failure will be not signing a hold up striker, in my opinion of course. 

and mine.....and a CB please.

• Like 3

It's a 46 game slog, Bruce will continue to do an OK but not good enough job for the duration.

Even if he isn't replaced until around the new year I think we will still be in a shout of promotion and certainly the Play Off.

Worry is he'll do just enough to keep the job but not quite enough to really challenge.

With the media behind him it does take a bit to sack him while he's still doing OK.

Hope the new owners are ruthless once they identify the manager they see as the man to take us forward.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

It's a 46 game slog, Bruce will continue to do an OK but not good enough job for the duration.

Even if he isn't replaced until around the new year I think we will still be in a shout of promotion and certainly the Play Off.

Worry is he'll do just enough to keep the job but not quite enough to really challenge.

With the media behind him it does take a bit to sack him while he's still doing OK.

Hope the new owners are ruthless once they identify the manager they see as the man to take us forward.

Hope Mendes is trying to find us a proper Manager. One that is relevant in 2018

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah, his popularity in the media doesn't help. Even if we go on a really bad run and get rid of him, the owners will still come in for a lot of flak from the pundits. Guarantee that they'd be saying things like "Bruce proves that he gets teams up - why can't these foreign owners just be patient?" etc etc

I don't blame Bruce directly for all these errors, but it is getting a bit weary and predictable.

The football lacks conviction for me but  in some ways ,we did enough to win 2 matches .....Their goal was predictable, the odd punt downfield and the walls of jericho come tumbling down.

The game itself was riddled with indecision and slow thinking and reactive action and lethargy.

He won't last long playing like this.

PS What is it with this ridiculous decision to have no player up field when we defend corners?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

I don't blame Bruce directly for all these errors, but it is getting a bit weary and predictable.

The football lacks conviction for me but  in some ways ,we did enough to win 2 matches .....Their goal was predictable, the odd punt downfield and the walls of jericho come tumbling down.

The game itself was riddled with indecision and slow thinking and reactive action and lethargy.

He won't last long playing like this.

Agree with all except the bolded. A combination of him doing enough to keep us in play-off (rather than automatic promotion) contention and his reputation for "getting teams up" will keep in the job for a long time yet IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

For the avoidance of any doubt here - I don't think anyone is being played out of position, with the possible exception of Jedinak; who looks like he may well be a CB for the rest of his career anyway.  Hutton is now a left back and has been playing there for a while and doing well.  Tuanzebe can apparently play a variety of positions and is playing is one of them - likewise El Mohamady down the right of the pitch.  So, aside from maybe Jedinak, I don't think anyone is playing out of position.

Really? you don't think any players are being played out of position? Good grief.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

PS What is it with this ridiculous decision to have no player up field when we defend corners?

This, along with no movement on throw ins really is embedded in the Villa DNA :D

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah, his popularity in the media doesn't help. 

I was listening to talk sport yesterday and that twerp Adrian Durham said Villa play great football, we are one of the most attractive teams to watch in the championship. 

Which tells you all you need to know sbout how much championship football these twerps actually watch.  

My boy is on holiday with his mom this week so i upgraded his ST and took my brother today. My brother will claim he's a villa fan but hasn't been for about 15yrs and acknowledged on the way there that he couldn't even name 2 players in the squad, so it was interesting to get the thoughts of someone that has no real emotional attachment to the club. 

Throughout the game he kept saying it felt like a training session, that there was no urgency at all and that the team looked disjointed and players didn't look like they knew what they was meant to be doing. 

When we was walking down the steps of the Holte after the game with me feeling really dejected he said:

'Fecking hell, And you do this shit every week? Fair play'

Watching this crap is draining, there will be another squad build next season when he fails again to take us up and going into our 4th season with this guy in charge we will be back to square one. The sooner the guy is gone the better. 

'

Â