Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

We have the players to win this league. I wonder if this group of players could survive a season in the Premier League under the right guidance?

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. We are as strong if not stronger in every position, except for one CB spot, than we were last season.

I'm guessing we are missing Terry's on-field organisation and presence but Bruce should be able to accommodate for the loss of a 37 year old. Defense needs sorting badly.

Does anyone else think that Jedinak is being selected to fill the void left by Terry, in that he's an experienced captain who is quite vocal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

We are sitting to deep, they had chances to score before the penalty. It's a confidence issue  We have seen it happen and almost expect it to happen again and the players must feel the same . 

We have to kill these games off well before the 80th minute. We all know what Bruce offers and last year's squad was similar in quality to this year's, I expect play offs and a similar type of season to last.

Leeds and Boro will be clear of us before we play them but I do expect us to get points from both of them, we have a better squad we just lack confidence and conviction .

We don't attack the ball anywhere near enough.

I would like to see Centre Backs/ defence  pushing forward in a line and closing the lines for the opposition to play in, ......but to play a high line you have to have guys with pace and intelligence to know, when to go and when not to.....perhaps I am asking too much at this level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

We are sitting to deep, they had chances to score before the penalty. It's a confidence issue  We have seen it happen and almost expect it to happen again and the players must feel the same . 

We have to kill these games off well before the 80th minute. We all know what Bruce offers and last year's squad was similar in quality to this year's, I expect play offs and a similar type of season to last.

Leeds and Boro will be clear of us before we play them but I do expect us to get points from both of them, we have a better squad we just lack confidence and conviction .

I totally agree.

but we haven't got players who can get back quickly enough.

8 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

We have the players to win this league. I wonder if this group of players could survive a season in the Premier League under the right guidance?

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. We are as strong if not stronger in every position, except for one CB spot, than we were last season.

I'm guessing we are missing Terry's on-field organisation and presence but Bruce should be able to accommodate for the loss of a 37 year old. Defense needs sorting badly.

Does anyone else think that Jedinak is being selected to fill the void left by Terry, in that he's an experienced captain who is quite vocal?

We have SOME players to win this league.

Maybe when we have finished doing business, we MIGHT be ready.

If that don't work, He has to go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tinker said:

That's what you get with Jedi in defense, especially towards the end of the games.

His lack of mobility forces the whole defense and sometimes midfield to drop deeper to compensate.

Having Tuanzebe who is new to his position and Hutton who is not great at positioning makes it even worse.

Add to that a new goalkeeper (who I think is doing OK) and you get a whole lot of uncertainty and hesitancy in the back 5.

This spreads to the midfield who doesn't quite trust the defense behind them and you end up with an isolated striker or at least not enough men committing forward in attack.

It's all pretty basic stuff really.

FWIW I think it would get better over time, but it's just not the way we should go if we are serious about challenging because it will not work.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

We don't attack the ball anywhere near enough.

I would like to see Centre Backs/ defence  pushing forward in a line and closing the lines for the opposition to play in, ......but to play a high line you have to have guys with pace and intelligence to know, when to go and when not to.....perhaps I am asking too much at this level.

You’re asking too much of this level of manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, weedman said:

As soon as I saw that challenge I thought to myself, "I wonder how long it'll be before someone blames that on Jedinak being out of position" ?? we're at the stage now where Grealish could miss a 94th minute penalty (won by Jedinak) to see us lose a match and there would definitely be someone on here blaming it on Bruce playing Jedinak out of position 

Jedinak would have been miles out of position to win that penalty ?

Bruce thinks that a guy who's too old and slow to play defensive midfield any more is the answer to a key CB position. The fact that Chester is now having to worry about his CB partner being too slow and immobile to cover him is cocking up an important defensive partnership. Jedinak is still good in the air, but that's only part of a CB's job, especially in a team which will now have half a dozen attack minded players in front of him. How can he push up with Chester to support a higher press when he can't get back? Has Bruce thought any of this through?

Three consecutive draws against teams with average players .... I've been convinced for a couple of seasons that Steve cannot change our method of play, so we're going to have to make do with waiting for individual moments of skill to out weigh individual errors. It's the Bruce way of getting the job done that still makes each game a lottery, even though we clearly have better players than the opposition. I hope our new owners are watching very closely, because we could be adrift of a number of better organised teams very quickly. Given the quality of individual players in our squad this would be very hard to take.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

And he will, if it doesn't. We need to be more fluent/convincing and within 6 points of first by Christmas, for him to keep his job in my opinion. No more room for debate, now it's purely a numbers game.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I was reading Bruce's post match comments again just now. One thing that caught my eye was where he pointed out that the difficulty with adding the loan players we need was compounded by only being able to name five loan players on a match day team sheet. Why get rid of a perfectly acceptable cover keeper like Steer on a season long loan, and waste one of our "five a day" choices on a 'bench' keeper like Moreira? What kind of planning was that? Could someone not count? We need a CB and a striker, but can only loan one now, unless we leave Moreira out of the match day squad and (heaven forbid) put Bunn on the bench!

Cocking up your loan signings plan before the end of the loan window is embarrassing!

It does beggar belief,

only to be out done by not leaving an outlet player up front on corners.......I think that is laughable imo.

add it all together and its worrying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I was reading Bruce's post match comments again just now. One thing that caught my eye was where he pointed out that the difficulty with adding the loan players we need was compounded by only being able to name five loan players on a match day team sheet. Why get rid of a perfectly acceptable cover keeper like Steer on a season long loan, and waste one of our "five a day" choices on a 'bench' keeper like Moreira? What kind of planning was that? Could someone not count? We need a CB and a striker, but can only loan one now, unless we leave Moreira out of the match day squad and (heaven forbid) put Bunn on the bench!

Cocking up your loan signings plan before the end of the loan window is embarrassing!

That's actually hilarious  :crylaugh:

Edited by Keyblade

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I see Leeds, Stoke, West Brom and Middlesbrough making up four of the top six. Of that lot only Stoke and West Brom have the kind of quality we do throughout the squad.

We have the players to win the league, just like last season. Whether we find the teamwork, playing rapport and consistency required to do so is still firmly in question.

For those that saw the game yesterday. How many clear cut chances did we create? Only reason I ask is because we had a lot of the ball in the Brentford game, attacked with purpose, and then had no variation to our tactics outside of Kodjia's bit of individual brilliance for the first goal. I fear that we are too predictable and just wanted to know if this was the case yesterday?

Like many I've succumbed to the temptation to micro-analyse every SB decision - I don't know what the reasons are but clearly there must (surely) be factors behind Jedinak at CB, loaning out Steer and loaning in Moriera, bringing on Taylor with minutes to go and unsettling the defence, etc etc etc that we are unaware of

SB has a good reputation in the game and has much past experience in the championship. Bruce sets his side up in a certain way and that approach will always produce a team 'there or thereabouts'

But now we come to the crux of the problem - under Bruce we are constantly 'thereabouts' and never 'there' - we are five games in and although we have made a better start than last season, we are very, very far from convincing and already playing catch-up to team lacking our squad quality and depth.

I've absolutely no doubt at all the Bruce can keep us in and around the play-off positions and no doubt that we will win more than we lose and have good runs of form that will bring support for SB on VT. 

BUT, my firm view is that we will not will not go up under Bruce - I just hope that the owners realise that you don't have to be losing week in week out to think about a change of manager

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its his third season in charge. If he doesnt have the players now, he never will.

We have a far, far, better squad (and bigger budget) than most, if not all, of those teams in or around us

Even after bringing a couple more loans in youre saying that we only 'MIGHT' be ready, are you giving SB yet another free pass?

If our plan is to go up this season we can't afford to wait to see 'if it works'.......SB has had half a dozen games to show the owners he means business and we have stuttered, faltered and remain completely unconvincing.......we need to act decisively now

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

For those that saw the game yesterday. How many clear cut chances did we create? Only reason I ask is because we had a lot of the ball in the Brentford game, attacked with purpose, and then had no variation to our tactics outside of Kodjia's bit of individual brilliance for the first goal. I fear that we are too predictable and just wanted to know if this was the case yesterday?

Dump " Prepared" and replace it with " Predictable".

We send an e-mail with every sortie or raid......far, far too slow in our build ups.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Its his third season in charge. If he doesnt have the players now, he never will.

We have a far, far, better squad (and bigger budget) than most, if not all, of those teams in or around us

Even after bringing a couple more loans in youre saying that we only 'MIGHT' be ready, are you giving SB yet another free pass?

If our plan is to go up this season we can't afford to wait to see 'if it works'.......SB has had half a dozen games to show the owners he means business and we have stuttered, faltered and remain completely unconvincing.......we need to act decisively now

Well, If thats the case....They will do it....lets see if they do.....I favour the theory they will wait until we go on a losing run and make the decision more acceptable.

back to the team

I think we are lacking a No9 a target man and a dominant Centre back.

whether, they should be there or not, with the summer shenanigans.....they are not.

You cannot expect to get promotion with flaws in crucial Positions......The spine of the side is not convincing......It has to be to have any chance of promotion.

• Like 1

So in his post match interview Bruce decides to hang Chester out to dry completely. This is our captain, most consistent performer since he joined, most durable player and, by far, our best defender. Instead of criticising and questioning himself for taking off our only striker and replace him with a left back to see the game out (against fcuking Reading at home!!), he decides to single out Chester. 

If Bruce would have had a more attacking mindset throughout the whole game it wouldn’t have mattered if we had conceded s last min pen as we should have been 2 or 3 up by then. If Bruce hadn’t decided to reorganise the defence in the last few mins then Chester may not have had to cover the area he did. If Bruce actually played CBs at CB and fullbacks at fullback then our defence would be inherently more solid and it’s individual components more settled and less prone to rash decisions. If Bruce actually used a target man up top we would hold up the ball better and result in our midfield sitting 20 yrds further forward and taking pressure off our defence  

There is only one man who is at fault for yesterdays performance and the 2 years of similar ilk. For the love of our club just go Bruce for God’s sake. 

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Like many I've succumbed to the temptation to micro-analyse every SB decision - I don't know what the reasons are but clearly there must (surely) be factors behind Jedinak at CB, loaning out Steer and loaning in Moriera, bringing on Taylor with minutes to go and unsettling the defence, etc etc etc that we are unaware of

SB has a good reputation in the game and has much past experience in the championship. Bruce sets his side up in a certain way and that approach will always produce a team 'there or thereabouts'

But now we come to the crux of the problem - under Bruce we are constantly 'thereabouts' and never 'there' - we are five games in and although we have made a better start than last season, we are very, very far from convincing and already playing catch-up to team lacking our squad quality and depth.

I've absolutely no doubt at all the Bruce can keep us in and around the play-off positions and no doubt that we will win more than we lose and have good runs of form that will bring support for SB on VT. 

BUT, my firm view is that we will not will not go up under Bruce - I just hope that the owners realise that you don't have to be losing week in week out to think about a change of manager

Really good post.

I’m of the opinion that to get the consistency needed to get this squad of players automatically promoted Bruce must start to play his squad in their correct positions such as Tuanzebe at centreback and Jedinak only called upon in the DM position if Bjarnson or Whelan are injured.

In fact if Ryan woods was still available I’d get him in now so that Jedinak will never have to be called upon again. Jedinak is too slow and cumbersome.

Thats where the inconsistency is coming from players being continually played out of position and systems being played which struggle to get the best out of what’s available.

Or when injuries hit, rather than playing the next best available player for that position Bruce shoe horns someone else into it.

• Like 1

Â