Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I always thought we'd be good enough to go up through the play-off, sadly I got that wrong. Bruce in or out at this moment, i don't really care just looking forward to preseason.

Bruce got it wrong in the first half, pushed Grealish to the left and left Grabban isolated. He was hoping we would snatch the first goal and then frustrate Fulham. Much better second half, but not good enough.

Ref had a poor game and should of sent the player off for the stamp.

#UTV

His failings this season have been to set the team up defensively alarm today and at Wolves. When we play on the front foot were a better animal.

Today showed up two major flaws in Bruce's management 1) To pay too much respect to the opposition and 2) Make substitutions either at the wrong time or the wrong changes - or both! 

Forget the past, think future. Bruce clearly didn't think our future starlets are good enough so will he change his mind next season? Personally, unless Xia finds millions from somewhere, I'd go with a fresh approach IF the right man becomes available.

• Like 2

For all the fact we have improved as a team and Bruce deserves credit for turning the club around to a degree , I think it’s questionable whether this style of football is going to take us far in the long term - too often we aim to nullify our opponents and shackle our own attacking players in doing so - there needs to be a change from this experience policy - we are an aging team and need a revamped younger fresher side next season - there will be several departures and needs to be a change in playing style .

when playing on the front foot we look a much better team but again today we only started to play when behind - we cannot continue this negative approach to games next season l

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villianusa said:

I always thought we'd be good enough to go up through the play-off, sadly I got that wrong. Bruce in or out at this moment, i don't really care just looking forward to preseason.

Bruce got it wrong in the first half, pushed Grealish to the left and left Grabban isolated. He was hoping we would snatch the first goal and then frustrate Fulham. Much better second half, but not good enough.

Ref had a poor game and should of sent the player off for the stamp.

#UTV

Spot on! The officials effectively cost us the game by not sending off Fredericks.

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

We clearly have a difference in our opinions of our players, and that's fine, I think that you are doing them an injustice and I do think we have one of the best squads in the league, you don't agree - and that is your prerogative and probably explains the difference in viewpoints of what the manager has achieved.

Let me ask you some questions based on that though. Lets accept that our players are simply not good enough:

• Who signed those players? and for those that were already here, who decided to keep them and play them?
  • Why is the energy not there? Why has that not been addressed?
  • Why is the coaching not helping with the decision making?
  • Why did we only start playing when it was too late? Who's job is it to make sure that this doesn't happen?

I agree about a lack of movement, that was painfully obvious again today - but again, where does that come from? for me its all down to coaching and the playing style placed onto the team. 

I simply cannot subscribe to the notion that our players are thicker than most others, or not as good footballers, or less fit.

I have not been a fan of Steve Bruce's brand of football - but I have nothing against the man personally, but he has failed to meet his objective. As you said yourself, promotion was all that mattered. I don't think another season will end any differently. You say the players are not good enough, well I certainly don't see us getting any better ones now. 

Steve Bruce has been through hell in his personal life, and he has soldiered on, he has my absolute respect for that, but I do think that his time here is up. I think he should be looking to take a year off from football to grieve properly and take stock of things. 

Lets take stock of the difference in this game.

Sessegnon plays a treaded ball through the middle of our defenders and Cairney reads it and responds by running on to it and scores.

The most fundamental movement you can possibly think of....basically embarrassing for experienced players.

so why would i blame the manager for that.....its shite play.

Sb has already explained why he has gone for experience, to sanitise the club of toxic attitude, that has worked, bur perhaps we are not quite ready for the intensity of promotion.

I am not so unconvinced of the brand of football as unconvinced of the ability of the players.

Too many inabililities of individual play existed in that game for me......I am not convinced a better manager, would have got a different result.

as an example and not a conclusive problem.......Elmohamady was so passive and indecisive it was untrue.....no assertion or any sign of confidence in his play....he may still be injured, that i have no idea.....but its piss poor.

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Spot on! The officials effectively cost us the game by not sending off Fredericks.

We cost ourselves the game with a piss poor first half - yes fredericks should have gone but we were already behind at that stage - we blew it in the first half .

• Like 1

I understand there are people who will rail against the Bruce out brigade no matter what because of how the manager has been treated at times by that group, but all of his flaws were on full display today. He got things horribly wrong in the first half, and when we finally got on the front foot in the second, he -- as always -- waited too long to make the wrong changes.

I am sure he is a nice man and he deserves commendation for fighting through what he has the last several months, but he is not good enough, especially on in-game adjustments. I am not sure if we can find someone better or who that coach would be -- it is not my job to scout coaching talent -- but standing still is not an option, in my opinion.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Your last sentence basically answered your question because we should be.

Who said we should be?.....this game is about ability.

we have to prove we have it.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lets take stock of the difference in this game.

Sessegnon plays a treaded ball through the middle of our defenders and Cairney reads it and responds by running on to it and scores.

The most fundamental movement you can possibly think of....basically embarrassing for experienced players.

so why would i blame the manager for that.....its shite play.

Sb has already explained why he has gone for experience, to sanitise the club of toxic attitude, that has worked, bur perhaps we are not quite ready for the intensity of promotion.

I am not so unconvinced of the brand of football as unconvinced of the ability of the players.

Too many inabililities of individual play existed in that game for me......I am not convinced a better manager, would have got a different result.

as an example and not a conclusive problem.......Elmohamady was so passive and indecisive it was untrue.....no assertion or any sign of confidence in his play....he may still be injured, that i have no idea.....but its piss poor.

We were sat back and inviting them on at the time. Hutton was playing as the third centre back at the time, and he was expecting Adomah to do his left back job. This left a gap that both players thought each other was responsible for. That wasn't just once, it was repeated a number of times. The manager decides the system.

• Like 1

I’ve long been a critic of Bruce but we need to remember the state we were in when he came. He got rid of the Loser mentality and turned things around pretty well. His style hasn’t been pretty often but it’s been effective more often than not. He had his way and unfortunately we just fell short. I mean no disrespect to the man as he seems a good bloke, but I think as we’ll need a rebuild with younger players he isn’t the man to do that. I think he’ll leave, and if so he leaves with my thanks and best wishes. I suspect he might just retire, and I couldn’t blame him. If so, have a great retirement Brucey ??

1 minute ago, blunther said:

I’ve long been a critic of Bruce but we need to remember the state we were in when he came. He got rid of the Loser mentality and turned things around pretty well. His style hasn’t been pretty often but it’s been effective more often than not. He had his way and unfortunately we just fell short. I mean no disrespect to the man as he seems a good bloke, but I think as we’ll need a rebuild with younger players he isn’t the man to do that. I think he’ll leave, and if so he leaves with my thanks and best wishes. I suspect he might just retire, and I couldn’t blame him. If so, have a great retirement Brucey ??

We demonstrated that in abundance today.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We were sat back and inviting them on at the time. Hutton was playing as the third centre back at the time, and he was expecting Adomah to do his left back job. This left a gap that both players thought each other was responsible for. That wasn't just once, it was repeated a number of times. The manager decides the system.

****all to do with systems.....its players doing their jobs and communicating.

We sat back and invited them on in 180 minutes against boro, but we did our job.

its not football that i like, but its about players doing their ****Ing job.

for me Adomah should have come off before he did.....he was a passenger.

I need to think long and hard. My head says change my heart says keep for 5-6 games next season.  He could rebuild the side.

Look at fulham they stuck with jonkavic and went uo that could be us be t year if bruce rebuilds a younger pacer side.

Â