Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I need to sleep on things at the moment - no doubt we have improved but many of this team will be gone and a new approach is needed .

whether Bruce is the man for it I’m not sure - defeat hurts and will take time to sink in .

19 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

so, just bluster then. Righto. Lets hear your take on today's events then.

I refer you to my comments in the post match thread.

I recognise it is now open season for crowing and triumphalism for people who have been obsessively briefing against the team and manager all season.

Hope they are all very pleased and enjoy their moment of triumph.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Dick said:

I don't see what Bruce did wrong.

We set up to contain.

You answered your own question. We invited a team onto us when we needed to stop them having the ball.

Why wouldn't you set up to contain Fulham? A defensive error cost us, we had plenty of chances. The blame isn't with Bruce as far as I'm concerned. Each to their own though. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

Why wouldn't you set up to contain Fulham? A defensive error cost us, we had plenty of chances. The blame isn't with Bruce as far as I'm concerned. Each to their own though. 

Defensive errors cost every game. That is such a lame excuse. In every game most goals will be due to errors. 

The blame isn't with Bruce because we knew he can't make a good fluid passing side with top players of Championship. 

Edited by Alakagom

Interesting to hear how Fulham signed 26 players this season, including a number of players who aren't over 30. Yet somehow their manager managed to craft them into a convincing team that plays attractive football and has a swagger and confidence, a team that are now in the premier league.

Odd that, apparently our  manager needs several seasons and a number of pre-seasons to get us to start looking like a team, one that looks devoid of ideas. Perhaps he isn't very good any more. Football has moved on, Bruce has not.

Properly gutted tonight. Angry, disappointed, frustrated and sad all rolled into one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I just get the feeling that he genuinely doesn't understand how big this football club is. The expectation should have been top 2 and nothing else is acceptable for this season, but I think Bruce is pleased where we ended up in the league and will be disappointed, but not gutted, that we didn't win promotion today.

I think phrases like understanding how big the club is is well bullshit really, sorry. Phrases like that along with "we didnt want it enough " "Werent up for it " is the usually generic british style reaction to a loss. I think bruce understands perfectly well how big a club villa are. I thought we lost today because tactically and footballing philosophy wise the guy standing a few feet away from him is much better than him . He acquired better players for his team that are capable of playing good football. Our manager didnt .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I refer you to my comments in the post match thread.

I recognise it is now open season for crowing and triumphalism for people who have been obsessively briefing against the team and manager all season.

Hope they are all very pleased and enjoy their moment of triumph.

God no, triumphalism was about 10 minutes after we beat Wolves and got told that he was the Messiah, it was like an awards parade because we got 2nd. Amazing time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure I can quite cope with people who have been briefing against the manager and team all season now suddenly finding they are “gutted”.

Briefing against the manager. This is incredible, here, catch this hyperbole ball I made for you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Defensive errors cost every game. That is such a lame excuse. In every game most goals will be due to errors. 

The blame isn't with Bruce because we knew he can't make a good fluid passing side with top players of Championship. 

Not necessarily, a lot of goals are scored from good play, our two centre backs were in terrible positions and hutton wasn't on his man. That is poor defending and shouldn't happen at this level, basic stuff. 

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure I can quite cope with people who have been briefing against the manager and team all season now suddenly finding they are “gutted”.

To be fair you could make the same sort of argument if we won today. There would still be people who have been briefing against the manager and team all season, only now they would be "delighted". This could also be deemed unacceptable.

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

"Briefing against the manager and team", how do you come up with this stuff mate?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

Imagine another 40 games of discussing how shit Bruce is next season. ?

Maybe he will sign up all the Bruce defenders to play behind the ball. Sensational, would save money too.

Â