Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dave I'm sorry but you're just intent on focusing on the negatives, surely you can see that? 

No one is denying that in some games this season we have played like shite, its football and that happens, always has, always will. 

What others are simply saying is that alongside those shite performances we've put in some bloody good ones too, you seem to want to reject this and focus on the shit ones, no idea why, your prerogative of course but seriously man, it's way more fun relaxing and enjoying the good times when they come around. 

In all fairness I did point out that since xmas  We have not served up much turgid stuff - Tuesday was dross but totally understandable given what was on the line.

32 minutes ago, Dave J said:

In all fairness I did point out that since xmas  We have not served up much turgid stuff - Tuesday was dross but totally understandable given what was on the line.

I rewatched the match the next day (in a less nervous state obviously) and it was not dross.

We played some really great stuff on Tuesday especially in the 2nd half. Pass and move, driving from midfield and creating chances. (16 shots I think.) We also defended really, really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I rewatched the match the next day (in a less nervous state obviously) and it was not dross.

We played some really great stuff on Tuesday especially in the 2nd half. Pass and move, driving from midfield and creating chances. (16 shots I think.) We also defended really, really well.

Tuesday first half was poor. Second half was a masterclass and gives me a lot of hope for Saturday. Boro would have scored if we’d played all night. 

Credit to Bruce for that. 

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Funny, isn't it? I thought it was pretty poor stuff, but I've since spoken to some neutrals who all said they thought we were impressive. 

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow ! Ok fair enough it's all about opinions - I respect yours but it's not mine.

i had a text from a mate who follows another club who couldn't believe how bad it was - I guess this is footie?

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Funny, isn't it? I thought it was pretty poor stuff, but I've since spoken to some neutrals who all said they thought we were impressive. 

Same here. Everyone I spoke to neutrals wise said we were good. Maybe we expect too much at times. 

15 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Wow ! Ok fair enough it's all about opinions - I respect yours but it's not mine.

i had a text from a mate who follows another club who couldn't believe how bad it was - I guess this is footie?

The game was awful. But our performance wasn’t. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The game was awful. But our performance wasn’t. 

Exactly this. 

Sometimes people get sucked into the scoreline and base the performance on that, when we beat wolves 4 1 we played well but we conceded, should have had a penalty awarded against us at 2-1 I think and looked  wobbly quite a few times, wolves could have gotten a result against us whereas against boro we was in control for pretty much the whole 180 minutes, played our game plan to perfection. It was a much better performance as a team than against wolves but because we never scored 4 it just gets discredited. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

Then we'll have to agree to disagree, I didnt think Tuesday was dross, a game of super high pressure importance in front of a packed and expectant Villa Park. 

First half we got too deep, players unsure whether to stick or twist, second half we bossed it and should/could have scored one or two, even in the first half, despite being under the cosh in terms of possession and territory, we still had the two best chances/openings (Chester and Hourihane). 

The fifth best team in the division never even looked like scoring (and didn't, in 4 league/playoff matches in total). 

Were you there out of interest? 

For me it was the best day/evening/night I've had at VP for years. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I think of the some of the players we had under Lambert I’d say that’s debatable.

I was talking generally....relating to win ratio's to all teams.

19 hours ago, Dave J said:

No - you are totally wrong imo - Lambert was a bright up coming manager - who was totally shafted by the club imo and how the heck he was expected to manage ASTON VILLA under such ridiculous constraints is beyond me.

Yes I agree that his record since leaving the club is dubious without question - but as I said earlier - he left us a broken man imo - with hindsight he should have stayed with Norwich 

Shafted by the club?

well, I certainly think he got his own back with a 5 year contract for Gabby on the way out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Exactly this. 

Sometimes people get sucked into the scoreline and base the performance on that, when we beat wolves 4 1 we played well but we conceded, should have had a penalty awarded against us at 2-1 I think and looked  wobbly quite a few times, wolves could have gotten a result against us whereas against boro we was in control for pretty much the whole 180 minutes, played our game plan to perfection. It was a much better performance as a team than against wolves but because we never scored 4 it just gets discredited. 

haha.....you're right.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tuesday first half was poor. Second half was a masterclass and gives me a lot of hope for Saturday. Boro would have scored if we’d played all night. 

Credit to Bruce for that. 

Credit also to Johnstone's sneaky hand outside the box.

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Liverpool didn't win the league though, so has Klopp failed?

Listen, if they win the Champions league, then do you TBI k the Liverpool fans will consider him a failure ? Come on bruv, he'll go down In folklore. And rightly so. He's a wonderful manager. Who whoses charisma.

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Listen, if they win the Champions league, then do you TBI k the Liverpool fans will consider him a failure ? Come on bruv, he'll go down In folklore. And rightly so. He's a wonderful manager. Who whoses charisma.

I agree with the first part.  The second?  Sometimes he comes across well, but others - usually when they've lost or are losing - he comes across as an odious bell end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Liverpool didn't win the league though, so has Klopp failed?

That's like saying Man City didn't win the Champions league, so is Pep a failure ? When you win the league by a accumulating 100 points. I think that speaks for itself. Don't you ?

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's like saying Man City didn't win the Champions league, so is Pep a failure ? When you win the league by a accumulating 100 points. I think that speaks for itself. Don't you ?

I think (know) that compared to the ambitions of City's owners then "failed" may be a strong word but he certainly hasn't met his targets.

He's not been brought there to win the league.  Pellegrini could do that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

But you also implied that Bruce is less than the messiah, so clearly you can see the you’re focused on negatives.  (My apologies in advance, Ive had a wee bit of whiskey the evening.)

i truly wish we would stop the pro as well as the anti Bruce so we could all just focus on UTV this week.  For one week.  I’ll let the Bruce out stuff go, but you Brice is immaculate folks need to stop.  (Again, I apologize.  Jamison is speaking.  )

Â