Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I was definitely a Bruce out man after we lost a couple around Christmas it was not just because we lost it was the way we lost.  It seemed we were not trying to win and to me that is criminal.  However be it the Agnew appointment the return of Jack or Bruce seeing the light something seemed to change and things got better.  Yes we still had bad results but the losses were more through tiredness and he even admitted to mistakes in not rotating.  The team and the fans have grown closer up and till this point just 1 hurdle to overcome.  Can we do it yes we can.  Will we do it who knows but 50k Villa fans all believing we can will be a sight to behold.  Win or lose I think Steve deserves another shot and I can't believe I am saying that when I was convinced he should go.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think you've missed part of what I was saying.  I want to be entertained when watching Italian football because I have no skin in the game.  If it's not entertaining I may as well watch Antiques Roadshow.

With Villa, I can be excited and entertained by a tight 1-0.  The thrill for me is getting the win.

That said, I'm sure I'd soon get bored of turgid football but I think it's now a lazy accusation to throw at Bruce.  We've put in some exciting, progressive performances since Christmas and even in the 0-0 against Boro we played the better football and created 90% of the chances.

Outside of Manchester City there's no team in this league who plays exciting effective football every week.  And even they got dumped out of the Champions League because their brand of exciting football doesn't work against Liverpool's.

People have a right to want entertainment, but it's in the eye of the beholder.  Personally it's been years since I've looked forward to the next match as much as I have this season.

It's really not a lazy accusation to say Bruce has served some turgid football up this season - you have a right to say so since xmas but let's not kid ourselves we have been dire on many ocaisions during his tenure - don't get absolving him of this please..

And none of us really know what's behind the recent turn around - was it down to Agnew or Jack's return or other factors  - but I really don't think Bruce tore up his  own coaching manuals and started reading new ones tbh 

15 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Win or lose I think Steve deserves another shot

I think so too. First target should have been automatics, second target a play-off final victory, and the third best he could possibly achieve is to get us to the play-off final and lose. Any board looking for promotion and with their heads screwed on will look at what bruce has achieved and renew him, absolute no brainer if you are in charge of the club. Fans obviously will have their opinions. 

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's an interesting comparison but I slightly disagree.

Italian football to me is just a TV show.  I don't support any of the teams so I don't give a shit who wins.  I want to be entertained.

Aston Villa?  If we get promoted I'd happily watch us win 38 games by 1-0 and be rightly crowned the best team in PL history.

I'd usually be the same with Villa yes. And yes, if you guarantee me we'll win every game 1-0, I'd take real pride in whatever football we're playing and the fact no one could stop us.

I saw this season as a real chance to try and be more expansive though. We had the squad to win the league and have got to the playoff final without looking much good most of the time IMO.

If we go to the PL, it's all a different kettle of fish. We won't be in a position to try anything other than grind results out, which is why I wanted this season to be different.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but it’s all unknowns. You could argue that Cardiff were in a worse state than us when Warnock took over and look at them now. 

I don’t think it’s fair to say calling for his head in December was irrational.

We had dropped out the playoff places and looked awful.  

Yes it would have been a big risk. One I personally didn’t think the club should have taken but if they had, i disagree that it’s delusional as @briny_ear mentioned to suggest that a new manager could have achieved what Bruce has to date. 

I suspect if Warnock had been appointed our manager rather than Bruce, the propaganda against him would have been even stronger than it was against Bruce.

He’s the same sort of “old-style” manager that people who brief against Bruce say they despise.

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think you've missed part of what I was saying.  I want to be entertained when watching Italian football because I have no skin in the game.  If it's not entertaining I may as well watch Antiques Roadshow.

With Villa, I can be excited and entertained by a tight 1-0.  The thrill for me is getting the win.

That said, I'm sure I'd soon get bored of turgid football but I think it's now a lazy accusation to throw at Bruce.  We've put in some exciting, progressive performances since Christmas and even in the 0-0 against Boro we played the better football and created 90% of the chances.

Outside of Manchester City there's no team in this league who plays exciting effective football every week.  And even they got dumped out of the Champions League because their brand of exciting football doesn't work against Liverpool's.

People have a right to want entertainment, but it's in the eye of the beholder.  Personally it's been years since I've looked forward to the next match as much as I have this season.

They got knocked out the Champions league, by a team who play exciting, attacking, football. That's why Salah is the recipient of the golden boot.

Going forward Liverpool are an absolute joy to watch.

And I do get your point about Italian football, which acknowledges my own. Football should be, or at least, try to be, entertaining.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd usually be the same with Villa yes. And yes, if you guarantee me we'll win every game 1-0, I'd take real pride in whatever football we're playing and the fact no one could stop us.

I saw this season as a real chance to try and be more expansive though. We had the squad to win the league and have got to the playoff final without looking much good most of the time IMO.

If we go to the PL, it's all a different kettle of fish. We won't be in a position to try anything other than grind results out, which is why I wanted this season to be different.

If we’ve won 25 league games and scored 73 league goals without looking much good, Bruce really is a miracle worker.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I suspect if Warnock had been appointed our manager rather than Bruce, the propaganda against him would have been even stronger than it was against Bruce.

He’s the same sort of “old-style” manager that people who brief against Bruce say they despise.

Probably. But I’m sure there wouldn’t have been too many complaints had he got us to second place. (Ok probably one or two). 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yes. And they're all staying down in the Championship. 

Please, please, don't let that post come back to haunt.

And by the way, do have a look where Bournemouth finished in the Championship.

Edited by sheepyvillian

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think so too. First target should have been automatics, second target a play-off final victory, and the third best he could possibly achieve is to get us to the play-off final and lose. Any board looking for promotion and with their heads screwed on will look at what bruce has achieved and renew him, absolute no brainer if you are in charge of the club. Fans obviously will have their opinions. 

What if due to finances our squad becomes weaker next season? You still think he is the right man for the job? 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What if due to finances our squad becomes weaker next season? You still think he is the right man for the job? 

I think he represents the fastest way back to the play-offs. But as you say, it's all down to money and if it's possible.  

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think he represents the fastest way back to the play-offs. But as you say, it's all down to money and if it's possible.  

Hopefully it’s academic because we win next week but if we don’t there is so many factors for the club to consider. How much we have to spend. Who we can keep and who we have to sell. Bruce’s appetite for another crack at it. Whether he can do with the resources available. 

I’d like to think the club already have this planned all out. 

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

They got knocked out the Champions league, by a team who play exciting, attacking, football. That's why Salah is the recipient of the golden boot.

Going forward Liverpool are an absolute joy to watch.

And I do get your point about Italian football, which acknowledges my own. Football should be, or at least, try to be, entertaining.

Liverpool didn't win the league though, so has Klopp failed?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I'm pretty sure that losing in the play off final didn't appear anywhere on Tony's targets for the season. Failure to achieve the target of promotion does not result in it being a 'no brainer' that you renew his contract.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Yes of course - you are right but this is no recommendation of either tbh but no one can argue with the job that Warnock has done with Cardiff - meanwhile Bruce??

47 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Yes of course - you are right but this is no recommendation of either tbh but no one can argue with the job that Warnock has done with Cardiff - meanwhile Bruce??

Marginally worse than Warnock.

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

It's really not a lazy accusation to say Bruce has served some turgid football up this season - you have a right to say so since xmas but let's not kid ourselves we have been dire on many ocaisions during his tenure - don't get absolving him of this please..

And none of us really know what's behind the recent turn around - was it down to Agnew or Jack's return or other factors  - but I really don't think Bruce tore up his  own coaching manuals and started reading new ones tbh 

Dave I'm sorry but you're just intent on focusing on the negatives, surely you can see that? 

No one is denying that in some games this season we have played like shite, its football and that happens, always has, always will. 

What others are simply saying is that alongside those shite performances we've put in some bloody good ones too, you seem to want to reject this and focus on the shit ones, no idea why, your prerogative of course but seriously man, it's way more fun relaxing and enjoying the good times when they come around. 

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If we’ve won 25 league games and scored 73 league goals without looking much good, Bruce really is a miracle worker.

We are in the Championship with a better squad than the one we had in our final PL season.

It's a miracle we haven't controlled 70% of our games this season and gone up automatically. If we don't go up and Grealish leaves, we'll finish midtable under this manager.

I think Bruce's focus on solidity would suit us better in the PL funnily enough.

• Like 1

Â