Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Or he stopped us doing exactly what Sunderland are doing in their first season in the championship and now has us In the play offs. After the state we came down in and the way we started under RDM I'm actually pretty pleased with how things have gone so far. 

You can't compare what we had to spend to what Sunderland had. Talking of Sunderland, what did he do there when he had money to spend ? Played dreadful football from what I remember, and ended up getting the tin tack.

8 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Be interesting if we did a best 11 from the top 4 how many would be villa players. Really don't get the we should have walked the league. Wolves manager did a really good interview on how this is the hardest league. 

————————Johnstone————————

Fredericks——Chester——Bamba——Douglas

———Neves———Grealish———Cairney———

Jota———————Mitrovic—————Sessegnon

13 hours ago, vreitti said:

But from an actual, pure footballing perspective, we still don't play 'good football', and aren't consistent enough when it most matters, hence the reason we're destined for the playoffs.

I'm guessing for you that being 'destined to the playoffs' is some sort of abject failure. Personally I had us down to finish eighth this season and it looks likely we'll be third or fourth - in my opinion that's a damned good season given where we were when we started it.

The football isn't always good, you're right, sometimes it is, sometimes it's not, you're right, the consistency of the football isn't there. However, the consistency of the effort and the consistency we've had in getting results is there - it's the reason why we're destined for the playoffs - it's our consistency in winning games throughout the season that has given us the opportunity we now have, it's the consistency in finding ways to win that is why we should be looking forward to it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

With the money spent on the squad and the highest wage bill in the league finishing 8th would have been laughably bad. It would be the equivalent of Man Utd. finishing 7th in the premier league. Being in the top four was the bare minimum and top two the real requirement.

Didn’t Man U finish 7th not that long ago?

They did in 2013-14 season

Edited by Tommo_b

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Didn’t Man U finish 7th not that long ago?

They did in 2013-14 season

Indeed and how did that work out for their manager at the time? It's the same for us, the idea that we are overachieving by finishing in the top 4 is nonsense. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trickster said:

The Sunderland example is the extreme one though, most teams who get relegated don't do that. We may have come down in a state but that state soon turned to spending loads of money, much, much more than Ellis has been willing to do at Sunderland. If we had been down in Sunderland's position with our spending it would have been beyond horrific and would have been the worst performance ever in the Champsionship from any team considering the spending.

Regardless of how much was spent we was still in the relegation zone when he took over, he still had turn that around. Which he did  and some of the money spent by RDM turned out to be no help at all to the squad, 20 million on elphick mcormack and tishibola. 

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You can't compare what we had to spend to what Sunderland had. Talking of Sunderland, what did he do there when he had money to spend ? Played dreadful football from what I remember, and ended up getting the tin tack.

He finished 10th with them which is the highest they finished since he left I belive. Had a terrible start following season and was sacked. He was replaced by Martin O'Neil who did even worse... 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Indeed and how did that work out for their manager at the time? It's the same for us, the idea that we are overachieving by finishing in the top 4 is nonsense. 

Who said that we're overachieving? 

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

OutByEaster, see post above. 

Oh OK, fair enough. I think he's in a very small minority though - I don't think many would have had such low expectations of the squad/manager. 

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You've already answered that. It's subjective. 

Ok I didn't make it clear - I mean why do they think that just because THEY think its no good, it IS no good, rather than accepting its a matter of opinion.  I'm referring to those who declare such as "No the football is rubbish, XYZ are much better"'..

Anyway just wanted to clarify, not debating it all again !!

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you mean: are only happy if their playing good football. And, trust me, who wouldn't be happy with that. 

No I meant what I said thanks don't put words in my mouth.

I was responding to the fact that although only 9 teams from 92 have Won more times there was a comment that we don't Win consistently enough, and to comments about our Poinjts total/

YOU may well only be happy if the football is good, but that was nt what I meant.

Thanks for trying to clarify my mind though :unsure:

So we've guaranteed the playoffs and remain with a slight chance of nipping into 2nd.

And still, the debate is around how we don't win enough, we don't win well enough, we've underachieved blah blah blah

How about people just throw their energy into getting behind the team, the Manager and the club for what remains of a long and very decent season (irrespective of expectations).

If we fall short in 6-8 weeks time then fine, pick the bones out of it but it would be great to just see people trying to help the club win promotion in whatever small way they can rather than assign blame for perceived failures.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Ok I didn't make it clear - I mean why do they think that just because THEY think its no good, it IS no good, rather than accepting its a matter of opinion.  I'm referring to those who declare such as "No the football is rubbish, XYZ are much better"'..

Anyway just wanted to clarify, not debating it all again !!

Then again.

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Regardless of how much was spent we was still in the relegation zone when he took over, he still had turn that around. Which he did  and some of the money spent by RDM turned out to be no help at all to the squad, 20 million on elphick mcormack and tishibola. 

He finished 10th with them which is the highest they finished since he left I belive. Had a terrible start following season and was sacked. He was replaced by Martin O'Neil who did even worse... 

The football was dire, and MON apparently said it was the worst squad he ever inherited. 

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

And he blamed the fans, thankfully we haven't reached that point with him, he is always happy to admit when he is wrong and doesn't deflect. 

Yep, this is sarcasm. 

5 hours ago, Cizzler said:

————————Johnstone————————

Fredericks——Chester——Bamba——Douglas

———Neves———Grealish———Cairney———

Jota———————Mitrovic—————Sessegnon

Sessegnon as wide left forward? :mellow:

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So we've guaranteed the playoffs and remain with a slight chance of nipping into 2nd.

And still, the debate is around how we don't win enough, we don't win well enough, we've underachieved blah blah blah

How about people just throw their energy into getting behind the team, the Manager and the club for what remains of a long and very decent season (irrespective of expectations).

If we fall short in 6-8 weeks time then fine, pick the bones out of it but it would be great to just see people trying to help the club win promotion in whatever small way they can rather than assign blame for perceived failures.

Let me know when I have your permission to express my opinions, then.  Thanks, 

Meanwhile I'll sit over here quietly and remember what it was like to enjoy discussion and debate.  

(Oh, that was sarcasm, I'll still post my thoughts.  some of which are positive and supportive, so be sure to click "Like" on those.)

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Haha 1

Â