Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And at the end of the day, who really wants boring football ? Certainly not me.

and equally, who wants losing football.

its like saying do you want to be good looking or have a big doo dah.

We all want  both.

some folk are lucky and they have both......I'll keep you guessing, if I may.:)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think I've ever seen a phrase which more succinctly summarises the glass half empty/glass half full nature of VT.

Well if those 20 games were say 15 then we would be set for Automatic promotion and the glass would be half full. Those 15 games wouldn't even be mentioned. 

It's not the fact we failed to win in 20 games and that we lack a lot of quality at times.

It's more the consequences of it.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe it's a change in my own thinking, I definitely used to be win at all costs. Now we're outside the top flight, I do want to see some attractive football. If this was in the PL and we were grinding out wins, I would not have a problem.

I now know certainly, that in this division, I'm bored to tears watching this "winning football" under this manager. It's Pulis/Sam/Bruce ball guff whenever Jack Grealish doesn't play well.

No issue with the occasional smash-and-grab. Snoddy's winner at Bramall Lane, the topsy turvy match down the road at Hillsborough, gritty-ish derby win at home. Not dominant fantastic football displays, but don't care a bit, they were fun. I'd like more most of the time when we're the biggest club in the league with the best squad.

Best season the 80s and all that, great, breaking records is good. We're in the division below, we probably should be setting records though? We've not been here since the 80s.

It's been said to death and some agree and some don't, but using Brentford as they're floating around the last few pages... If we played like they do, with this squad, we'd be top of the league and monstering our way to the Premier League.

Looking forward to Bruce leaving whenever that is.

At times we do.....if we did it all the time like you suggest, it may just have the opposite affect.

Very few teams can play total football all of the time.....the ones with the best players in the world are the ones who are expected to.

Outside the top 6 in the Prem, who plays this sweet free flowing football?

ps anyway, I see fleeting bits of improvisation from our lot.....Elmo's dummy, Jacks worldie, Grabban's dummy, Alberts (grease lightning) foot shuffle , jacks back heels......not bad for championship.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

At times we do.....if we did it all the time like you suggest, it may just have the opposite affect.

Very few teams can play total football all of the time.....the ones with the best players in the world are the ones who are expected to.

Outside the top 6 in the Prem, who plays this sweet free flowing football? Bayern Munich.

At times we have individuals that turn it on, we look good when they do.

I'd like us to try and play more as we have the best squad in this league. Teams with resources 10% of us try and get results.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I'd like us to try and play more as we have the best squad in this league.

No we don't. Wolves do.

We have the 2nd or 3rd best squad in this league. And we're 4th. 

It's hardly a vast underperformance.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

At times we have individuals that turn it on, we look good when they do.

I'd like us to try and play more as we have the best squad in this league. Teams with resources 10% of us try and get results.

ps I see i have a script writer

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No we don't. Wolves do.

Easy to say now, after they've played free flowing football for much of the season. Funny how they've looked good, be interesting to see how they'd have been under Bruce. Probably similar to us now, in a good position because of their individual quality without having looked much good.

Bearing in mind all our vital "championship experience", ours is better for this league.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No we don't. Wolves do.

Except that the current manager has assembled a huge chunk of this squad, which I think you’re right in suggesting is probably about 2nd or 3rd best. So comparing how the team is doing with the quality of the squad ignores the fact that both are the responsibility of the same man. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Except that the current manager has assembled a huge chunk of this squad, which I think you’re right in suggesting is probably about 2nd or 3rd best. So comparing how the team is doing with the quality of the squad ignores the fact that both are the responsibility of the same man. 

huh?

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Easy to say now, after they've played free flowing football for much of the season. Funny how they've looked good, be interesting to see how they'd have been under Bruce. Probably similar to us now, in a good position because of their individual quality without having looked much good.

That's not a fair summary of where we are, but you're entitled to your opinion.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

huh?

What I’m saying, probably not too clearly and half way through a conversation, is that Steve Bruce is responsible for building the squad and the way it performs. As a whole I don’t believe that 4th with a few games to go can be deemed to have fulfilled what many fans and the owner, viewed as success at the start of the season. 

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bearing in mind all our vital "championship experience", ours is better for this league.

Nuno is different calibre to any other Championship manager. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

What I’m saying, probably not too clearly and half way through a conversation, is that Steve Bruce is responsible for building the squad and the way it performs. As a whole I don’t believe that 4th with a few games to go can be deemed to have fulfilled what many fans and the owner, viewed as success at the start of the season. 

Not really the point I was addressing, but I do agree that we're slightly underperforming. I always have.

Ultimately, success is promotion. If we do that through the playoffs then we've still succeeded.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not a fair summary of where we are, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Be boring if we all thought the same!

As boring as watching As...no, I won't go there.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Oh, so you want Bruce to get us promoted, and then you want to replace him since the turgid football he plays won’t work there?

I dont think he has us playing turgid football. Its not tippy tappy short passing, which is what I prefer, but there is no doubt he has had us playing some exciting and attacking wing play the past few months.

Turgid football is the kind of stuff Pulis or Mick McCarthy or a bevy of other English managers play. Lets be fair to Bruce, he is a step above them in terms of entertainment.

As for being in the premier league, well, IF that happens then we need the mother of all clear outs on the players side. Nothing against the dads army bruce assembled this season, he did it deliberately, but they wont work if we go up. Maybe Bruce won't either to be honest, but I think he has had us playing some good stuff (for the championship) since January.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

and equally, who wants losing football.

its like saying do you want to be good looking or have a big doo dah.

We all want  both.

some folk are lucky and they have both......I'll keep you guessing, if I may.:)

Boring football does not equal winning football . Hence, Pullis getting the sack at Albion.

Wolves are a prime example of a team who play winning exciting football. That is what I want to see Villa doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I dont think he has us playing turgid football. Its not tippy tappy short passing, which is what I prefer, but there is no doubt he has had us playing some exciting and attacking wing play the past few months.

Turgid football is the kind of stuff Pulis or Mick McCarthy or a bevy of other English managers play. Lets be fair to Bruce, he is a step above them in terms of entertainment.

As for being in the premier league, well, IF that happens then we need the mother of all clear outs on the players side. Nothing against the dads army bruce assembled this season, he did it deliberately, but they wont work if we go up. Maybe Bruce won't either to be honest, but I think he has had us playing some good stuff (for the championship) since January.

I’ve said loads of times that you only have to watch the opposition when we play teams like Ipswich, Millwall, Bolton etc to see what turgid football really is. 

We can play some turgid stuff at times, but overall we play decent football for the Championship. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve said loads of times that you only have to watch the opposition when we play teams like Ipswich, Millwall, Bolton etc to see what turgid football really is. 

We can play some turgid stuff at times, but overall we play decent football for the Championship. 

I thought Millwall played really well against us and should have won. That is the only time I've seen them though. 

Edit:I understand your point though. The standard generally is pretty poor.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think he has had us playing some good stuff in about 1/3 of our matches since January.

• Like 1

Â