Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, TRO said:

He had 4 years.;)

My respect for MoN started to decline when he walked out on us...... and nothing he has said or done has stopped the decline. It was good times under him for sure, but some of his purchases and wages paid under his watch..... he really shouldn't criticise anyone. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, blandy said:

Which is on 26th of May. What good could possibly ever befall Villa on a 26th May final on neutral ground?

So you're saying John Terry is going to miss the penalty in the penalty shoot out that sees us lose the playoff final? It's written in the stars. 

Interesting to see not one of our players made the PFA EFL team of the year.

It begs the question have we really got the best squad, like some allude to?

I always thought 4th was about right for us.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, sne said:

Both Terry and Adomah are in the SKY EFL team of the season and the team the 72 EFL managers voted for.

Grealish and Chester are not.

Chester does not surprise me.while,Jack being out for so long has probably cost him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I still think the season can be summed up by "could/should have been better" BUT the magnitude that we underperformed by is massively exaggerated on here.

I agree with this but the problem is that the margin for error is so slim when you are going all out for promotion. Being close or getting a good points total isn't enough, you either go up or you don't and in the end that's all Bruce will be judged on. 

23 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I agree with this but the problem is that the margin for error is so slim when you are going all out for promotion. Being close or getting a good points total isn't enough, you either go up or you don't and in the end that's all Bruce will be judged on. 

I agree totally.

But if you were to read this thread not knowing where Villa are in the league, then you'd probably think we were midtable with no chance of playoffs.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree totally.

But if you were to read this thread not knowing where Villa are in the league, then you'd probably think we were midtable with no chance of playoffs.

I think we have the second best squad in the league personally, I just think Fulham have  a superb manager with three excellent premier league players in cairney, sessagnon and mitrovic.

Fulham in comparison to us have been very lucky with injuries 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 21:17, Tomaszk said:

Maybe it's a change in my own thinking, I definitely used to be win at all costs. Now we're outside the top flight, I do want to see some attractive football. If this was in the PL and we were grinding out wins, I would not have a problem.

I now know certainly, that in this division, I'm bored to tears watching this "winning football" under this manager. It's Pulis/Sam/Bruce ball guff whenever Jack Grealish doesn't play well.

No issue with the occasional smash-and-grab. Snoddy's winner at Bramall Lane, the topsy turvy match down the road at Hillsborough, gritty-ish derby win at home. Not dominant fantastic football displays, but don't care a bit, they were fun. I'd like more most of the time when we're the biggest club in the league with the best squad.

Best season the 80s and all that, great, breaking records is good. We're in the division below, we probably should be setting records though? We've not been here since the 80s.

It's been said to death and some agree and some don't, but using Brentford as they're floating around the last few pages... If we played like they do, with this squad, we'd be top of the league and monstering our way to the Premier League.

Looking forward to Bruce leaving whenever that is.

I'm certainly not in the Bruce Out camp, although I have been at times this season.  I've tended to flit between Bruce In and being on the fence.

This is a great post though, articulates a lot of how I feel when I'm on the fence rather than "Out".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we have the second best squad in the league personally, I just think Fulham have  a superb manager with three excellent premier league players in cairney, sessagnon and mitrovic.

Fulham in comparison to us have been very lucky with injuries 

I think Fredricks is very good too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm certainly not in the Bruce Out camp, although I have been at times this season.  I've tended to flit between Bruce In and being on the fence.

This is a great post though, articulates a lot of how I feel when I'm on the fence rather than "Out".

Yeah....i get some of the stuff the bruce out camp allude too.

for my part, i do appreciate where we have come from to where we are, from a plane crash to a bit of respect.

My biggest gripe is, we do SEEM to make hard work of everything, win, lose or draw.

rarely are we slick and cohesive, players don't seem to know where they should be, particulary in and around the box, its just ,follow the ball, too many touches, over hit, under hit is the order of the day.its like we have to work like trojans to get a win, instead of letting the ball do the work and applying football nous.We look cumbersome and awkward at times.

If i could be reasonably sure of a new manager coming in and acheiving that, I would say do it....but hand on heart, I can't.

Folk say Dean Smith, when was the last time a defender was courted from Brentford, there is more than one bit to football.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree totally.

But this is only in line with expectations that come with being Aston Villa - having followed the club since 1976 I can confirm that as Villa fans we have always expected more  and the successes of the eighties served to fuel this in another generation of supporters - i don't believe you can curb anticipation and expectations of the Villa faithful anytime soon - this could happen  I guess if the club went into the wilderness for a good few years and a generation or two moved on?

53 minutes ago, Dave J said:

But this is only in line with expectations that come with being Aston Villa - having followed the club since 1976 I can confirm that as Villa fans we have always expected more  and the successes of the eighties served to fuel this in another generation of supporters - i don't believe you can curb anticipation and expectations of the Villa faithful anytime soon - this could happen  I guess if the club went into the wilderness for a good few years and a generation or two moved on?

Ok

7 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Just seen Bruce n Calderwood at the millwall game, would have thought they’d have been with the team tonight 

? Playing cards ?

I much prefer they are having a close look at two teams who could be our opponents in 4 of our next 6 games !

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

? Playing cards ?

I much prefer they are having a close look at two teams who could be our opponents in 4 of our next 6 games !

They usually send a scout to go look at our upcoming opponents esp with us playing tomorrow

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

They usually send a scout to go look at our upcoming opponents esp with us playing tomorrow

They do but I’d say this situation isn’t usual, I can see the sense in them watching this.

Â