Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Made the playoffs. Minimum i expected but credit to him. 

He'll need to earn his corn in the play-offs otherwise he'l be looking for a new job

Made the playoffs and 2 points off 2nd place with 3 games to go, not bad considering where we were just 3-4 games ago. Would have preferred us not lose our form and still be 2nd right now, but this is the next best thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

It's the last line for me. If we don't go up Bruce will go. But in all likelihood we'll finish 4th. If the new manager is judged that 3rd or 4th is a failure, we could be in for a lot of managers over the next few years. Im not a Bruce fan, but believe that he's done a competent job. 

It's  a successful job we want from him, nothing less than promotion. If competent doesn't achieve that aim, then I'm afraid competent ,for me, is failure. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

People want him gone regardless.  Pretty bonkers.

Also we have achieved our record ever points haul. Two seasons after our lowest ever. That it is a massive turnaround and a testament to all the staff not just SB

• Like 2

Might be harsh, but I think with our players and funding, Bruce did the bare minimum required of him. Playoffs is about the lowest finish we could have with him keeping his job.

I hope he can galvanize the squad for the playoffs because our form against the top opposition in this division has been poor. 

So far we have drawn to millwall, lost to Derby, and lost and won against Cardiff. 

Our final matches are against Derby and millwall so those will be important games to learn how to beat them. 

• Like 2

I hope he takes us up and I’ll be thrilled for him if he achieves it and he deserves all the credit, but I would want to see us bring in someone more exciting if we go up. The team is going to have to be rebuilt anyway and if the plan is to throw money at it then I’d like to start with he manager. Otherwise I can just see us being on the Bruce-Pardew-Alardyce-Hughes-Pulis-Moyes merry go round 

• Like 4

Just now, Czechlad said:

Might be harsh, but I think with our players and funding, Bruce did the bare minimum required of him. Playoffs is about the lowest finish we could have with him keeping his job.

I hope he can galvanize the squad for the playoffs because our form against the top opposition in this division has been poor. 

"Playoffs" is just such a weird way of assessing how a manager has done.  We're currently 13 points ahead of 7th place and 2 points behind 2nd - lumping it as "playoffs" removes any sort of context.

Is our form against the top opposition in this division really "poor", too?  Whilst we've lost away to the 4 sides around us, we've beaten Wolves, Fulham and Cardiff at home, with Derby to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I hope he takes us up and I’ll be thrilled for him if he achieves it and he deserves all the credit, but I would want to see us bring in someone more exciting if we go up. The team is going to have to be rebuilt anyway and if the plan is to throw money at it then I’d like to start with he manager. Otherwise I can just see us being on the Bruce-Pardew-Alardyce-Hughes-Pulis-Moyes merry go round 

"More exciting" in what way?  Not having a boring name?

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"More exciting" in what way?  Not having a boring name?

Not having to watch boring football would be a good start. Someone who injects a bit of flair into how we play.

I did say though, I’m talking about a promotion scenario where we throw money at staying up. If we don’t, we might as well keep Bruce as grinding out 1-0 wins would be the best we could hope for. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

People want him gone regardless.  Pretty bonkers.

Baffling really. So many posters want rid just because they don’t like his football. I don’t like it either, it’s turgid most of the time to be honest. But it’s there to grind out results. People forget we’re in the championship and it’s a luxury to go up playing attractive football in this league.

37 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Made the playoffs and 2 points off 2nd place with 3 games to go, not bad considering where we were just 3-4 games ago. Would have preferred us not lose our form and still be 2nd right now, but this is the next best thing. 

To be honest this is a false narrative, the teams above us have 1 and 2 games in hand on us.

So in reality, we are potentially 5 - 7 points off 2nd place.

That could change this week.

Cross every body part possible.

• Like 2

Dilemma for him now. Do we rotate the squad now and focus on keeping everyone fit for the playoffs, or do we keep playing a strong team in hope both Cardiff and Fulham slip up. I suspect that question will be answered this weekend. If both Fulham and Cardiff slip, game on.

Edited by PieFacE

I’ve always said we should go up this season, and by achieving the play offs we are still on course for that aim. Bruce has been hit and miss throughout the season, but he still deserves credit as we were an utter shit storm before he took over.

Some people do just have an irrational hatred towards him though. Bloke a few rows near me tonight was calling all the fans rocket polishers when they were chanting his name, started shouting that Bruce is nothing but a bluenose word removed and should **** off back to them as any other manager would have us won the league by now. 

• Like 1

Â