Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve always said we should go up this season, and by achieving the play offs we are still on course for that aim. Bruce has been hit and miss throughout the season, but he still deserves credit as we were an utter shit storm before he took over.

Some people do just have an irrational hatred towards him though. Bloke a few rows near me tonight was calling all the fans rocket polishers when they were chanting his name, started shouting that Bruce is nothing but a bluenose word removed and should **** off back to them as any other manager would have us won the league by now. 

That’s incredible. I’m speechless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

Baffling really. So many posters want rid just because they don’t like his football. I don’t like it either, it’s turgid most of the time to be honest. But it’s there to grind out results. People forget we’re in the championship and it’s a luxury to go up playing attractive football in this league.

I agree with most of this but actually I find our football enjoyable and have done with a few exceptions since about October......I struggle to find watching Grealish and Albert in full flow dull.......I enjoy watching Chester and a Terry defend, I enjoy us winning, I enjoy the desire, commitment, and heart I see most the time, I’m happy enough.

It’s not great - but I watch other Leagues such as the PL and don’t se a lot of great stuff there either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Baffling really. So many posters want rid just because they don’t like his football. I don’t like it either, it’s turgid most of the time to be honest. But it’s there to grind out results. People forget we’re in the championship and it’s a luxury to go up playing attractive football in this league.

so you are happy with the idea of playing turgid, grinding out results football in the premier league?   

5 hours ago, Ginko said:

Perhaps, but if anyone in this league had the resources to attain that luxury it was us, but we didn’t, and appointing Bruce was a huge factor in that.

You look at the teams that not only go up but stay up. They tend to play good football or at least have a very strong team spirit that enables them to perform to a level beyond the skills of their individual players. 

There’s still a pretty wide gulf in class between the Championship and the Premier League. I don’t think it’s baffling for fans to be disillusioned by Bruce’s poor tactics - or lack thereof - and it’s only natural to feel that we need better than that if we want to go up and stay there. Do we want to be a yo-yo club for the next few years? Granted it’s better than not going up at all this season but still.

As for the highest points total rubbish (I know it wasn’t you who said it, Craig), you can’t compare a Championship season with the Premier League for various reasons. Not least of which the difference in quality.

I suppose the worry is there that the poor football will never go away. However we knew what we were getting when Bruce came in and I find it odd that some still complain about the football he plays even when we’ve won. As I said, I don’t like it either but it’s a good turnaround from what we were.

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

I agree with most of this but actually I find our football enjoyable and have done with a few exceptions since about October......I struggle to find watching Grealish and Albert in full flow dull.......I enjoy watching Chester and a Terry defend, I enjoy us winning, I enjoy the desire, commitment, and heart I see most the time, I’m happy enough.

It’s not great - but I watch other Leagues such as the PL and don’t se a lot of great stuff there either.

I’m always excited to watch us but that’s because it’s the Villa, not because of our football. I must admit that some games have been very entertaining for me but most of the season has been a bit slow. I certainly enjoy watching us win though, which is why I’m fairly happy with the season so far.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

It surprises me that we feel we have to preface our comments about Steve Bruce by saying "I like him" or "he's a decent bloke" in case we're accused of dislike. I do it myself when I post.

Bruce should be judged on his abilities as a manager, not on being a "good bloke". I've expressed my views a few times and I'm still of the view that SB is not the man to take Villa forward.

Bruce has adopted an underdog mentality over a number of years because of the teams he has managed. When you manage teams like Wigan, Sunderland, Hull and other similar clubs it's natural to develop a philosophy that allows you to survive rather than dominate.

Bruce admitted some time back that managing Villa was a huge job and his biggest job by miles! Unfortunately in my opinion he hasn't seen fit (or been able?) to change that "underdog" style of play. We play percentage football. The keeper kicks it long or rolls it out to a full back who kicks it long. We're not aiming for our smallish striker, we're waiting for the opposition's bigger defenders to head it back into our midfield area. This is where it's about percentages .... how many times can we win the second ball? If we do we try to feed it out to the wing and hope to swing it in, where again we hope for a bit of luck with a Villa player occasionally getting on the end of something. How many headed balls did we see against Cardiff the other night? The midfield area was often a danger to low flying aircraft! We're not a particularly big or physical side so each headed ball is a lottery ticket, rather than a planned progression.

After the number of games SB has been in charge for, I hoped for some visual acknowledgement that Villa usually have slightly better players than the opposition. Instead of which the opposite seems to be happening. How many times on Tuesday night did you shake your head at a Villa player's inability to hit a ten metre pass accurately? Our coaching must be more about lumping it and winning second ball, than how we use the slightly better ability of our players to win games.

My view of SB's ability as Villa's manager is probably unpopular, but I can only say what I genuinely believe. Steve Bruce is not the right manager for Villa.  

Excellent post.

Well done to Bruce for cementing our playoff place, in spite of our turgid second half performance.

Can he push us over the line - hope so. I wish I could be more confident than that.

Big decisions for the remaining matches.

While we have a chance for automatic, we still need to push for wins, but also still need to be mindful of getting our rather elderly squad back to their best for the playoffs.

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

so you are happy with the idea of playing turgid, grinding out results football in the premier league?   

I don't like Bruce at all but even I would accept this. If we go up this year, and I don't think that's likely, next season will be all about just staying up. In the championship were are the big spenders, in the premier league we are the minnows. 

21 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't like Bruce at all but even I would accept this. If we go up this year, and I don't think that's likely, next season will be all about just staying up. In the championship were are the big spenders, in the premier league we are the minnows. 

A Recon "Sponsorship" worth 500 mill over 5 years should sort that out.

:ph34r:

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

More than happy with that and I'd imagine anyone who come in would resort to this as the first season would be about staying up. 

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve always said we should go up this season, and by achieving the play offs we are still on course for that aim. Bruce has been hit and miss throughout the season, but he still deserves credit as we were an utter shit storm before he took over.

Some people do just have an irrational hatred towards him though. Bloke a few rows near me tonight was calling all the fans rocket polishers when they were chanting his name, started shouting that Bruce is nothing but a bluenose word removed and should **** off back to them as any other manager would have us won the league by now. 

It think there is more than just him......but some are reluctant to admit that for fear of appearing juvenile, so they create a smoke screen.

I cannot criticise fans for their stance that Steve Bruces team plays **** football....its their call.

However, i try to remember when we ever did play attractive football, not to get confused with winning football.....but there again that in itself is subjective.

Imo first 18 months under Ron Atkinson.......second 18 months was pants.

The team that won the league had its detractors.....I remember, coming out of the victoria ground and a stoke fan saying to his mate.......if thats the league champions i stand topping.

its all personal opinions.

We have rarely, in our history, been known for attractive football in the pure sense.....we have just had the odd moments.....

46 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That'll buy us two Manchester City full backs, or a Virgil van Dijk and Chris Wood, every season.

In ten years we'll have a decent team!

Although to be fair.

I have been thinking, we DO need quality fullbacks.

Has been a problem area for us for ages.

Would improve us no end, given our style of play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Of course not, but we’re not in the premier league?

Oh, so you want Bruce to get us promoted, and then you want to replace him since the turgid football he plays won’t work there?

Â