Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

Also interesting (and quite chastening) that the best team in the Championship still can't beat the worst team in the Premier League in 2 attempts.  (I know Cup games etc...)

Yet the 5th best team in the championship beat the 2nd best team in the premiership :)

‘no question if we do go up that we will need to strengthen considerably and I think the money will be there - I’d stick with Bruce if he gets us up but expect he would need a decent start to keep onto his Job in the premiership .

once there we would be able to attract a better quality manager if needed ,, but I think he would deserve to start the season and see what he can do with us 

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Im aware you think Bruce had us playing brilliant football for the whole of 2017 but most fans thought it was turgid stuff in the main. That’s why Agnew is being pointed at as the catalyst. The was appointment of Calderwood last year seemed to have the opposite affect. If Bruce knew we needed a better attacking coach he was very brave to decide to wait 6 months. I know what gardening leave is and i also know if you want to break a contract it’s easy to do especially in football. 

I applaud you, for driving home your argument....but I don't think any poster on here has said that.

45 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Can we catch Wolves can’t we catch Wolves will they fall apart or surge ahead, will we kick on or falter, is it Play Offs, is it Top 2, can we win it, will we collapse, has Agnew helped, is it because Grealish is playing well, will the weather play a part with our Portuguese friends ?

Ive no idea but I know one thing, for the first time for nearly 10 years it’s exciting !!

I said to fan close to me on Saturday ( after Scotts 2nd Goal) pinch me .....such was the scintillating football. Ironically after 3-1 I was saying under my breath. close it down, close the ******* thing down, I looked over at the bench and Bruce was waving them forward.......I thought how ironic is that.

I'm not interested in point scoring, we all make our points.....and even now I can only speculate as to whats gone right, but that all it is.

We just need to keep our nerve ( especially if we lose) and keep going game by game and hope we carry on winning.

Its all about consistency and the team in the top 6 now that ecks that out will be the ones going up.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Agnew was placed on gardening leave and he didn’t want not to resign because of his lucrative contract. If he wanted to quit and walk with nothing I’m sure he could’ve. He was offered other roles at Boro but turned them down. My point is if Bruce wanted him in the summer Agnew could’ve walked out with nothing. We could then have compensated his loss with a bigger salary. Contracts are broken in football all the time. This wouldn't have been the exception. 

Do you actually know the salary he was on at Boro? By all accounts it was stupendous.

You have become very free and easy with Dr Xia’s money all of a sudden.

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I said during the poor December run that even if we were to go on another run of 3/4 wins I wouldn't be getting carried away, I'd always be wondering when we're about to hit the wall again. 

However NOW I see what people were asking for when they said they wanted to see something more sustainable in terms of the style. Even though there were some comfortable, controlled performances such as QPR and Preston compared to now they seem like the low bar. We finally look way too good for the league. 

We're setting our stall out to blow teams away. We're a composed, skillful, dominant team and rather than feel nervous about our next game, or the one after that, I'm more excited to see whether this likeable and exciting bunch of players can rack up a cricket score. 

Steve Bruce, as the manager and the man who takes the flack when things aren't going well, deserves as much credit as anyone for that. He has gone from doing an ok job in my eyes to doing a very good one in short order and I'm utterly gripped by it.  

The manner of our recent wins is exactly what we should be doing. Hopefully we’ve got the confidence to keep the same style when the pressure comes. Sheff Utd is a very tough test and one that will show our improvement. They attack all the time if we can play our recent game against them it’ll bode well for us. 

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Do you actually know the salary he was on at Boro? By all accounts it was stupendous.

You have become very free and easy with Dr Xia’s money all of a sudden.

Have you got the figure? Ive no idea but I know it’s not going to be that big that promotion to the PL couldn’t cover it. If he’s that good and was the only option for Bruce why not treat him as a signing? He’s doing great since he’s been here but just imagine how much better off we’d be if he’d got us playing like this from the summer? 

9 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Have you got the figure? Ive no idea but I know it’s not going to be that big that promotion to the PL couldn’t cover it. If he’s that good and was the only option for Bruce why not treat him as a signing? He’s doing great since he’s been here but just imagine how much better off we’d be if he’d got us playing like this from the summer? 

It’s not just Agnew that’s the reason for improvement - had Grealish been fit from the summer I think we’d be a lot better off too - Agnew has no doubt played a part in the improvement but it’s not all down to him .

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

It’s not just Agnew that’s the reason for improvement - had Grealish been fit from the summer I think we’d be a lot better off too - Agnew has no doubt played a part in the improvement but it’s not all down to him .

Maybe, Maybe not but it’s not just Grealish that’s kicked us on. If all it’s took is  Grealish to get fit it doesn’t say much for the other coaches. We’ve also changed shape so that’s not down to Grealish. Either way no matter what its down to be it Bruce having a vision in his sleep or Agnew or Grealish let’s hope it keeps going. 

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Maybe, Maybe not but it’s not just Grealish that’s kicked us on. If all it’s took is  Grealish to get fit it doesn’t say much for the other coaches. We’ve also changed shape so that’s not down to Grealish. Either way no matter what its down to be it Bruce having a vision in his sleep or Agnew or Grealish let’s hope it keeps going. 

It’s a combination of things , Agnew and Grealish being 2 oh those both which have helped hogan - confidence also is high -things are coming together 

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Wolves are a good traditional club. I, for one, would not wish them ill.

Have no interest to wolves only villa. Only reason is how wolves fans have been giving it large this year

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The other key thing is that Hogan has finally got the fitness and confidence that has been eluding him all season and now, like any striker who goes through a goalless spell, is hungry to score every time he gets the ball.

Only in la-la land could this sudden transformation be put down to the arrival of Steve Agnew who arrived just before Villa began the incredibly busy Christmas run of games and would barely have had time to learn all the players’ names in his first two weeks.

Particularly rich that many of those now hailing him as the saviour mocked him on appointment as a Bruce crony and scorned his record with Middlesbrough (must confess I wasn’t too overwhelmed at the time!)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Have we changed shape? I don't think we have. Terry came back too. 

Who knows the difference Agnew has made. Who knows the reasons why he's come here now. Certainly nobody on here. 

Just now, praisedmambo said:

Who knows the difference Agnew has made. Who knows the reasons why he's come here now. Certainly nobody on here. 

We are playing more 4141 now instead of 4231 only a subtle change but it gets Hourihane and Jack further forward. Even Birkir today has said we are better drilled recently so I’m assuming he means Agnew has made a difference. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Possibly, but without wishing to further the 'Bruce is shit, nah he's decent' debate, we weren't doing terribly before Agnew came in, the football was just rather dull for the most part.

A post worthy of one of my likes. 

We went on a 16(?) game run where only Wolves tallied up more points than us. 1 more point, if memory serves me correctly. Then the injuries caught up with us, the manager made a couple of manky decisions and yet here we are 9 games on from that only 3 points off second. 

Yes the football is much better, appears to be much more sustainable and all credit to everyone involved in that. But this idea that we were 'almost out of the race' isn't true. If the run had continued maybe, but that would be rewriting history. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We definitely have. Those 4 players ahead of the DM are pushing much higher up the pitch. As is everyone. 

Bruce and Wyness have stated he was on gardening leave and thus unavailable at the time. 

• Like 1

Didn't Newcastle have a similar lead at one point last season? I think they were a better side than Wolves. 

Just food for thought. I think Wolves will win the title and I'm not arsed as long as we go up, but I think aiming for it is exactly the kind of pressure this squad will thrive on. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'd love to live in a world where everything is so black and white.

Agnew signs, play well, all down to Agnew. Forget everything else guys, it's all Agnew.

Forget the 18 months of work that's gone on before, it's all Agnew.

A jigsaw could have a beautiful scene but without that final missing piece it looks a mess. You could have a beautiful car but it' covered in pink spots spray paint it black and it could look awesome. 

Agnew just seems like the icing on the cake and maybe the reason everything seems rosier is because he has joined? 

Â