Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure if anyone has been proved right or wrong yet. Full credit to Bruce at the moment, its looking like i was wrong to doubt him but its not proven to be yet. Some people may not have seen enough to admit they were wrong, rather than avoid it because they are embarrassed.

Just out of curiosity, when did you admit you were wrong and announced it? 

I have no issue in holding my hands up when wrong.

Did so yesterday or day before in admitting that I'd lost track of what I was debating with dn1982 or whatever his name is.

Also held my hands up when I overstepped the mark in getting personal with Villan_of_oz a while back.

Also, on many occasions I've reiterated how unhappy I was with the Bruce appointment at the time it happened.

I could try and think of more if I need to justify it further?

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I have no issue in holding my hands up when wrong.

Did so yesterday or day before in admitting that I'd lost track of what I was debating with dn1982 or whatever his name is.

Also held my hands up when I overstepped the mark in getting personal with Villan_of_oz a while back.

Also, on many occasions I've reiterated how unhappy I was with the Bruce appointment at the time it happened.

I could try and think of more if I need to justify it further?

That made me laugh. :)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure if anyone has been proved right or wrong yet. Full credit to Bruce at the moment, its looking like i was wrong to doubt him but its not proven to be yet. Some people may not have seen enough to admit they were wrong, rather than avoid it because they are embarrassed.

Just out of curiosity, when did you admit you were wrong and announced it? 

There’s still a long way to go, and probably some more ups and downs, so you’re right that no one has been proved right or wrong yet. At least, not in regards to whether Bruce should stay for the foreseeable future.

However, I will say that you were fairly vocal at New Year in questioning people who said that Bruce should be given ‘two more games’. So I feel that those people, myself included, were right not to call for his head straight away, like a number of people in this thread wanted. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

And that is a very good reason.

I think Dr Tone takes  a jaundiced view of the Mendes situation....I think he said "just wait and see"

perhaps he knows more than we.

I am always dubious of quick fixes.

Do people reckon Bruce listens to the fans? It's just that everything that many fans have been saying to do he has done and it has worked.

1. Play Grealish behind Hogan
2. Play Hourihane further forward
3. Drop Whelan
4. Have players who actually move off the ball

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Do people reckon Bruce listens to the fans? It's just that everything that many fans have been saying to do he has done and it has worked.

3. Drop Whelan

5 sign Messi 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

3. Drop Whelan

I think he listens to his coaching staff, who probably share alot of opinions with the fans. After all, we all watch the same 90 mins.

I also think that Bruce and his team deserves credit for the changing it up. He's been stubborn with his selections at times, but recently this hasn't been a problem at all.

If this form continues till the season's end, i will rate him very highly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

I think he listens to his coaching staff, who probably share alot of opinions with the fans. After all, we all watch the same 90 mins.

I also think that Bruce and his team deserves credit for the changing it up. He's been stubborn with his selections at times, but recently this hasn't been a problem at all.

If this form continues till the season's end, i will rate him very highly.

Spot on. Then again I would say if Bruce is as good as we think he is then we are where we should be. 

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

3. Drop Whelan

See the echo in your kitchen.. .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

3. Drop Whelan

The idea that Villa fans speak with a unified coherent and concerted voice is a bit far-fetched.

I could easily show you about 15 different views on each of the topics mentioned here and if you went down the terraces that would probably multiply to 15000.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The idea that Villa fans speak with a unified coherent and concerted voice is a bit far-fetched.

I could easily show you about 15 different views on each of the topics mentioned here and if you went down the terraces that would probably multiply to 15000.

My comment was only tongue in cheek. 

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

There’s still a long way to go, and probably some more ups and downs, so you’re right that no one has been proved right or wrong yet. At least, not in regards to whether Bruce should stay for the foreseeable future.

However, I will say that you were fairly vocal at New Year in questioning people who said that Bruce should be given ‘two more games’. So I feel that those people, myself included, were right not to call for his head straight away, like a number of people in this thread wanted. 

Yes it certainly looks that way at the moment. Hopefully i'm proven completely wrong at the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Wasn’t people’s biggest bone of contention the way we played. Setting up negatively no tempo more worried about not losing than trying to win? Low and behold we start playing football and our players look a lot better. Something most have said. We’ve individually got some of the best players in the league but were getting beat by better teams. Recently we’ve looked far better as a team and the results have flowed. That’s why I wanted Bruce to go because I thought we could play better under better management but we’ve turned it around. Bruce brought in Agnew and he seems to have kick started our attacking play. I think most fans set out why they wanted Bruce to leave so trying to point score when most points were valid is petty. We are still below were I think we should be and would’ve been if we’d played like we are now all season. Let’s hope it continues. We all want us to go up. 

1) I’m not point scoring. I’ve even said in my post that Jonah is right that no one can be proved right or wrong yet, in relation to whether Bruce should stay for the foreseeable.

2) No, I never got the impression that people’s ‘biggest bone of contention was the way we played’. There were many, many, MANY reasons given for why people wanted Bruce out. Future transfer prospects, lack of plan B, poor style of play, his comments to the press, the money he’d already ‘wasted’, poor runs of form, “He ent wun against any of the Top 6” etc etc.

I’m not being petty by pointing out that some were holding-their-belly-laughing at the idea of giving him a couple of games after New Year to see where we were. Had he lost two in a row, then many more people would have probably shuffled into the Bruce Out camp, and I’m sure the point would have been made that we’d lost a few days in January to find a new manager/ or which a new manager could have used to assess his squad. Back in reality, the faith some of us had shown was repaid and we’ve gone on a decent run. Let’s hope it continues.

38 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

1) I’m not point scoring. I’ve even said in my post that Jonah is right that no one can be proved right or wrong yet, in relation to whether Bruce should stay for the foreseeable.

2) No, I never got the impression that people’s ‘biggest bone of contention was the way we played’. There were many, many, MANY reasons given for why people wanted Bruce out. Future transfer prospects, lack of plan B, poor style of play, his comments to the press, the money he’d already ‘wasted’, poor runs of form, “He ent wun against any of the Top 6” etc etc.

I’m not being petty by pointing out that some were holding-their-belly-laughing at the idea of giving him a couple of games after New Year to see where we were. Had he lost two in a row, then many more people would have probably shuffled into the Bruce Out camp, and I’m sure the point would have been made that we’d lost a few days in January to find a new manager/ or which a new manager could have used to assess his squad. Back in reality, the faith some of us had shown was repaid and we’ve gone on a decent run. Let’s hope it continues.

There was many many reasons you could point at for Bruce to go but in your point 2 half of your list come down to how we play so it was the biggest issue. No plan b? Not beating top sides? Poor runs? All down to us being a very negative boring rigid side. After 16 months most wondered if he could change it. Bruce having a go a team the fans about hysteria just got people’s back up and showed he thought it was ok how we were playing. Luckily he seems to have found the secret. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Half of whom seem to no longer post or, post a lot less.

Funny that.

Just wait until we lose a game though, they'll be back.

Not really.

Results where not satisfactory and the football being served up warranted the cristisms at the time.

Since December we are on a good run and I hope it continues.

For once I am looking forward to the next game irrespective whos manager or whos achieved what.

Shit results will attract negative critism. Getting the results with attractive football keeps everyone happy you will agree.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Â