Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm never ceased to be amazed by this thread. We have just moved up to 4th in the league, sit 5 points from automatic promotion with 19 games left to overhaul that gap having just won three very tough games on the spin. You'd think we'd all be buzzing with optimism, chomping at the bit and well up for backing the manager and players and doing all we can to help push them to promotion. Instead the discussion is around what was a realistic aim last season and what the manager said 12-15 months ago.

I'd be careful those of you who are wallowing in the past and looking backwards as a means to criticize the manager/club as you are in danger of missing out on the here and now. If this club is to achieve what we all want it to this season then it needs us all pulling in the same direction. We all have a part to play be that by getting our arses to the games and when we get there offering positive, vociferous support or by those of us who can't get to the games focusing on the positives and looking to the future. We have had too many years of crap and now for the first time in years finally have something to be positive about and a positive cause to get behind. Let's not waste it. 

Just give it up man. People were complaining even when we were fighting for champions league places during the MON era. Moaning is in our nature it's not going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, striker said:

I find that very condescending.

I don’t think anyone is unhappy with the current form. How could they be and I’ve seen most posters who have been against Bruce actually be complementary towards him since the game against Bristol City.

The debate was whether Bruce is ‘doing more than ok’ achieving the expectations of fans and owner or, the bare minimum expected?

Its a fair debate imo when you look at the quotes when Bruce first arrived. I don’t think it’s a means to criticise the manager or indeed any perceived lack of support.

I’ve seen one or two on match day hoping for a loss just to get Bruce the sack a few games ago but for the most part, and certainly most recently, there has been 100% backing for the team and manager on match day and I’m sure that will continue as long as results are favourable.

For clarity I think Villa at the moment are achieving the bare minimum expectation with the bookies having Villa as favourites at the start of the season.

I also think Wolves are still catchable because they haven’t really had a spate of injuries or loss of form yet but it would take Villa to keep winning to put the pressure on.

Realistically though Villa are more than good enough to secure second place.

Well said, some would do well to take heed.  (Sorry, couldn’t resist).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Fair points

Its not about point scoring or rubbing anyone's nose in it .....we have all had the wobbles in our stances.....We have to find a way to get the momentum rolling.....and there is no momentum like all singing off the same Hymn Sheet.......We need to look forwards, backwards has gone.

We still have 19 games left its all to play for......We need to keep our nerve, because their will be setbacks, but we have to ignore them and push on.

We can do this and if we keep the pressure on teams around us, who knows, we might surprise ourselves.

If we think we can, we can......If we think we can't, we can't.

If only it was that simple.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just give it up man. People were complaining even when we were fighting for champions league places during the MON era. Moaning is in our nature it's not going anywhere.

What a sorry bunch eh?

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm never ceased to be amazed by this thread. We have just moved up to 4th in the league, sit 5 points from automatic promotion with 19 games left to overhaul that gap having just won three very tough games on the spin. You'd think we'd all be buzzing with optimism, chomping at the bit and well up for backing the manager and players and doing all we can to help push them to promotion. Instead the discussion is around what was a realistic aim last season and what the manager said 12-15 months ago.

I'd be careful those of you who are wallowing in the past and looking backwards as a means to criticize the manager/club as you are in danger of missing out on the here and now. If this club is to achieve what we all want it to this season then it needs us all pulling in the same direction. We all have a part to play be that by getting our arses to the games and when we get there offering positive, vociferous support or by those of us who can't get to the games focusing on the positives and looking to the future. We have had too many years of crap and now for the first time in years finally have something to be positive about and a positive cause to get behind. Let's not waste it. 

If people don't want to derive any enjoyment from it, that's their prerogative I guess. 

I'm just happy if we win games tbf. 

• Like 1

Well some were moaning about us resting players against Peterboro, while others (myself included) said although embarrassing the cup is not important in the slightest and the league is priority. if we lost to Forest fair enough Bruce should get it in the neck but we won and comfortably. Goes to show Bruce knows what he is doing and the ones who were given a chance and flopped are rightly not playing. 

one thing i will give bruce when he looks down and out he just keeps bouncing back. If he can avoid these mini blips we have under him we would be far closer to wolves 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep but some will argue level of opposition is the reason 

And ignore the fact that we are the same standard as the opposition. Our side in the Premier League would currently get battered every week. It's just where we currently are as a club.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep but some will argue level of opposition is the reason 

If Steve Bruce has a 44.4% record after 2 years in the top division I’ll start a petition for a statue. It’s pointless drawing comparisons like this unless it’s all in the same division. What was Taylor’s in the 2nd division? To put that stat belittles achievements of Saunders, Atkinson and a host of others in a vain attempt to say Bruce is doing well when in reality he’s doing ok but is still under acheiving. Let’s hope that stat gets to over 50% by the end of this season then I think he’ll have the chance to show his worth in the PL. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Before this argument about win ratios erupts as it does periodically...

Win ratios cannot be directly compared. You can't say Steve Bruce is better than Ron Atkinson becuase he has a better win ratio, because there are tonnes of variables that need to be taken into account. Mainly the fact we're in a different league now.

However, win ratio CAN be used as a general indication of performance. The fact Bruce's is so good is an indication that he's probably doing a decent job.

You can if you are comparing against Sherwood :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

"Looking at current win ratios - Steve Bruce has a better win ratio 44.4% then ANY villa manager since 1990 - Graham Taylor's first stint at the club #avfc #UTV"

https://twitter.com/TheVillaHome/status/953221708449763328

For God's sake. Surely it must be obvious you cannot make this sort of comparison.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just because someone puts up the win ratio it doesn't mean it has to or should be compared to anyone.

Accept it in isolation and for what it is, a very decent return.

It is certainly decent, but the poster has put it forward as a comparison, hence the responses.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

For God's sake. Surely it must be obvious you cannot make this sort of comparison.

To be fair, neither the tweet or the poster posting it here is making a comparison on managerial ability. Just stating a fact.

Edited by Stevo985

Â