1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Since I've been following Villa it's -

O'Neill

O'Leary, Lambert

------------------------------------------

Houlier, Bruce, Garde

McLeish, RDM

Sherwood

Jesus what a collections of sub-par managers that is. One day we will appoint a good manager. 

49 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I tend to find folks like that are either overcompensating to get their view across or simply trying to get under the skin of bruce-outers. there are extremes on both sides of the argument as i've seen real hatred towards him on FB therefore i dont find FB to be a true reflection...but then i've said that about villatalk too! my group of pals say keep him on even if we dont go up...but i know such opinions aren't welcome here ;)

The thing is there are fans that raise legitimate criticisms and others who align themselves who just want him out at any cost.....they are NOT the same argument.

There are other fans that defend Bruce's position, but empathise with  some of the criticisms ( legitimate ones)

due to the complexity of the arguments they sometimes get lost in translation.

I accept the job Steve Bruce is doing in an overall sense, but i may look at it differently to others, who don't.

I don't think many folk wanting to keep him like me, would actually comment on his tenure, if was not for some levels of criticism aimed at him.....we are just defending the attacks.

so lets put some perspective on alternative views, its only the critics that create them, by creating OTT criticism.

so there would be no Briners without Brouters

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bruce's Premier League finishes:

13th
10th
12th
18th
15th
14th
11th
13th
10th
16th
16th
18th

So in 12 seasons of managing in the Premier League, he's finished in the bottom 3 twice.
How does that lead you to conclude that he's bottom 3 quality?

Ok he is bottom 6 quality, is that much more impressive? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ok he is bottom 6 quality, is that much more impressive? lol

Not at all. (Edit: also only 5 out of 12 seasons has he finished in the bottom 6 either. I think "bottom half" is fairer)

But when the discussion is comparing him to the shite that have managed this club in the past 10 years then the difference between bottom 6 and bottom 3 is quite significant!

How anyone can rate Bruce behind Lambert and on a par with Garde is beyond me. What on earth did Garde do in his tenure here to put him on a par with Bruce?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Did you just compare Lewis Hamilton to Steve Bruce?

How did you deduce that?;)

I thought is was a principle being made.....the names just got in the way.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

How did you deduce that?;)

I thought is was a principle being made.....the names just got in the way.

Even the principle is wrong. Lewis Hamilton should be being compared to other drivers in the past not the current drivers. Also Lewis Hamilton has won titles, Bruce hasn't. I was actually defending Bruce but bringing up Lewis Hamilton is laughable. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not at all.

But when the discussion is comparing him to the shite that have managed this club in the past 10 years then the difference between bottom 6 and bottom 3 is quite significant!

How anyone can rate Bruce behind Lambert and on a par with Garde is beyond me. What on earth did Garde do in his tenure here to put him on a par with Bruce?

Yeah Garde was appaling. Hard to compare to Lambert though, especially early on. If Lambert had comparatively the same level of squad/backing Bruce has had then who knows. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Yeah Garde was appaling. Hard to compare to Lambert though, especially early on. If Lambert had comparatively the same level of squad/backing Bruce has had then who knows. 

I kind of agree... but he didn't.

Garde might have us top of the league by 10 points if he was here now. But we'll never know. All we can go on are how they actually performed. 

Championship or not, I really struggle to agree with someone rating Lambert higher than Bruce.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I kind of agree... but he didn't.

Garde might have us top of the league by 10 points if he was here now. But we'll never know. All we can go on are how they actually performed. 

Championship or not, I really struggle to agree with someone rating Lambert higher than Bruce.

Yup I agree given their records. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Lambert had 3 years to get things right.....yeah he had a dysfuntional owner, to his credit, but he did crumble and by hanging on helped to create the demise......he also left the legacy of a 5 year deal for Gabby, which was tantamount to commercial sabotage.

I don't think outside of Hogan, Bruce has had that much backing to speak of in terms of huge fee's.

Thats not meant to be a criticism of Bruce or Xia.....most had to bed in.

I think in the Summer SB traded with a surplus.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Bruce's Premier League finishes:

13th
10th
12th
18th
15th
14th
11th
13th
10th
16th
16th
18th

So in 12 seasons of managing in the Premier League, he's finished in the bottom 3 twice.
How does that lead you to conclude that he's bottom 3 quality?

Those stats are a bit misleading. You included his last season at Birmingham where he left after 13 games when they were in 15th and also his last season at Sunderland where he was sacked when they were in 16th.

Out of the last 7 times he's made it to the end of a Premier League season he's been relegated twice. If you assume he would have been relegated at Sunderland that would make it 3 out of the last 7. Those aren't good survival odds for a 'bottom half Premier League manager'. 

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

Sean Dyche has only spent 3 seasons in the PL and one of those resulted in relegation. The stat alone doesn't look great yet everyone agrees that he has done a fantastic job at Burnley. 

Stats are helpful but do not paint the full picture. 

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

What backing did Garde have ? Nothing in comparison to Lambert ,and I mean ,literally nothing . His treatment was nothing short of shocking .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What backing did Garde have ? Nothing in comparison to Lambert ,and I mean ,literally nothing . His treatment was nothing short of shocking .

Oh yeah i can't argue with that but he still had decent players there and could've got more out of them I think. All hope was lost after that Jan window tho. 

45 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Those stats are a bit misleading. You included his last season at Birmingham where he left after 13 games when they were in 15th and also his last season at Sunderland where he was sacked when they were in 16th.

Out of the last 7 times he's made it to the end of a Premier League season he's been relegated twice. If you assume he would have been relegated at Sunderland that would make it 3 out of the last 7. Those aren't good survival odds for a 'bottom half Premier League manager'. 

Not just misleading ,but about as exciting as reading a railway timetable .

Â