Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Does this really mean anything? 

I just disagree we somehow ruined him. He was here for 2 and a half years. If you can't recover from that then surely that is a big weakness. 

Getting back on topic, the stuff this season is mainly better than anything lambert used to produce. 

So it should be . We now have financial backing ,and arguably the most expensive squad in the league . Tbh , the football should be a lot better than what it currently is .

With the results we're currently getting I'd say the football is just fine. I've been critical of Bruce too but he tends to prove me wrong and right now things are looking favorable. I'm not going to criticize him for something that might happen, but rather what is happening. Right now good things are happening. I'm just as afraid of another bad spell but I'm not going to assume it will happen because right now nothing is indicative of that. Either way, he's at the helm now so he has my full support.

• Like 3

Martin O'Neill has just turned down the Stoke job. Stoke have not thought anything through - would anyone be surprised if they panic and go for someone like Bruce, who has lots of experience of relegation battles in the PL?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Of course. that’s my point.  Whether it’s an excuse or a reasonable explanation is up to the observer.  (Fan)

Or recipient ( receiver of the information)

22 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Martin O'Neill has just turned down the Stoke job. Stoke have not thought anything through - would anyone be surprised if they panic and go for someone like Bruce, who has lots of experience of relegation battles in the PL?

I pray this is the case but can't see it happening.

Why get rid of pulis and bring in a dinosaur of similar stature.

Edited by AshVilla

21 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

No , it would not surprise me at all.

except, i think steve at his age has a bit more loyalty to his people......John Terry, steve Agnew, Elmo, Snoddy, etc......I think these folk mean a lot to him.

I don't see him leaving this project.

What he has done at B6 maybe seen as nothing in some villa quarters......but i think the industry will know the dire straits villa were in and rate his work.

You only have to look at Sunderland to get a handle on it.....it will take them some time, with a good manager Imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

Totally agree when you say Lambert had given up the ghost - he knew the score and inevitability of it all - he could have made a decent career for himself but  like it or not we done for him - and I'm not sure he will ever rediscover the verve that his Norwich team displayed 

The only way for me......is to build himself up again, from a club with modest expectation.

i don't think us as fans quite comprehend the burden expectaion brings.....it can consume you.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

What he has done at B6 maybe seen as nothing in some villa quarters......but i think the industry will know the dire straits villa were in and rate his work.

You only have to look at Sunderland to get a handle on it.....it will take them some time, with a good manager Imo.

Guess their fans are also hoping for a new owner as well, like we did.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Does this really mean anything? 

I just disagree we somehow ruined him. He was here for 2 and a half years. If you can't recover from that then surely that is a big weakness. 

Getting back on topic, the stuff this season is mainly better than anything lambert used to produce. 

Basically in my opinion Lambert was forced to work under an extremely frugal regime and expected to perform well at the same time - remember he was not experienced in the prem and I believe the pressure of being told the remit is to remain in the prem forced him into a shell that he couldn't get out of - maybe the club was too big for him under these circumstances and in order to try and fulfill his remit he reverted to defensive football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Maybe so.....if they leave Chris Coleman alone to do the job and not expect instant gratification......he will do it.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, but even they can only do so much.

Imo new owners should be seen as the fluidity of cash to pick up gems and seize on opportunities the industry throws up.not to spunk money on players where little research has been carried out....And a moneyball approach has been employed.

not to go out and spend enormous sums, like a fan would possibly do( no disrepect to fans) but its all a game to us....it should be a bloody serious business for them.

If i was responsible for  2 million pound transfer.....i would poo myself, with the responsibility.

We need staff at villa who are well informed and connected to make prudent recruitment, just like Ron Saunders did.....yeah times were different, but the approach was TEAM construction.....not fashionable individual calls.

I think Steve Bruce is well connected and we need to trust him.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Imo new owners should be seen as the fluidity of cash to pick up gems and seize on opportunities the industry throws up.not to spunk money on players where little research has been carried out....And a moneyball approach has been employed.

not to go out and spend enormous sums, like a fan would possibly do( no disrepect to fans) but its all a game to us....it should be a bloody serious business for them.

If i was responsible for  2 million pound transfer.....i would poo myself, with the responsibility.

We need staff at villa who are well informed and connected to make prudent recruitment, just like Ron Saunders did.....yeah times were different, but the approach was TEAM construction.....not fashionable individual calls.

I think Steve Bruce is well connected and we need to trust him.

Sure, that's all true. But if it wasn't for Xia taking over from Lerner, Bruce probably wouldn't even be here in the first place. Nor would pretty much any of the players who has carried us this season or the last one.

And the investments in the squad would be little or none, but the players leaving would still have happened.

As for Sunderland they also need a squad re-haul, Coleman will have his work cut out for him, regardless of how much time he gets.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure, that's all true. But if it wasn't for Xia taking over from Lerner, Bruce probably wouldn't even be here in the first place. Nor would pretty much any of the players who has carried us this season or the last one.

And the investments in the squad would be little or none, but the players leaving would still have happened.

As for Sunderland they also need a squad re-haul, Coleman will have his work cut out for him, regardless of how much time he gets.

I agree ....don't get me wrong, i appreciate all Dr Tone has done.....but its not a one man show.....it takes many people all doing a great job, all singing off the same hymn sheet.

its a big old job.....but we are getting there.

its not easy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Agreed, outside of Aston Villa discussion forums I’d guess that the overwhelming opinion would be that Bruce was doing a very good job at Villa all things considered.

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

The only way for me......is to build himself up again, from a club with modest expectation.

i don't think us as fans quite comprehend the burden expectaion brings.....it can consume you.

Probably right TRO - I do believe there is still a good manager in there somewhere- will we ever see it again I am not so sure about this.

i do see him as a man with integrity and I for one wish him well

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Agreed, outside of Aston Villa discussion forums I’d guess that the overwhelming opinion would be that Bruce was doing a very good job at Villa all things considered.

To balance this out - I would suggest outside of B6 most people would also have expected us to have been promoted last season and to have at least be in an automatic promotion spot now ? Possibly not such a good job after all 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

To balance this out - I would suggest outside of B6 most people would also have expected us to have been promoted last season and to have at least be in an automatic promotion spot now ? Possibly not such a good job after all 

Even though Villa we’re 19th in the table when he took over :crylaugh: 

Â