Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Oh yeah i can't argue with that but he still had decent players there and could've got more out of them I think. All hope was lost after that Jan window tho. 

He was let down by the attitude of certain individuals , Gabby ,for one ,and the centre - half , whose name doesn't deserve a mention . The whole squad was just contaminated ,the manager was on a hiding to nothing ,IMO .

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis have made it to the end of 20 Premier League seasons combined with a total of 0 relegations. 

What do you expect ? Such is their love for parking the bus ,they've both got their own designated spaces. 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What do you expect ? Such is their love for parking the bus ,they've both got their own designated spaces. 

Doesn't Bruce employ similar tactics though? For me, there's a big difference in quality which separates them. 

Those stats are a bit misleading. You included his last season at Birmingham where he left after 13 games when they were in 15th and also his last season at Sunderland where he was sacked when they were in 16th.

Out of the last 7 times he's made it to the end of a Premier League season he's been relegated twice. If you assume he would have been relegated at Sunderland that would make it 3 out of the last 7. Those aren't good survival odds for a 'bottom half Premier League manager'. 

Why am I assuming, for the sake of your argument, that he would have been relegated with Sunderland, when he was sacked with the team in 16th? I agree it's not a promising position, but it isn't in the relegation zone and it just seems to be doing your argument a favour for no good reason. 

Even if I grant it, though, he was a 'bottom 3 manager' (your claim), less than 50% of the time, including with some clubs whose resources would presumably be significantly smaller than our own were we to be promoted. 

Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis have made it to the end of 20 Premier League seasons combined with a total of 0 relegations. 

But nobody is arguing that Steve Bruce is a better relegation-avoider than the two most famous relegation-avoiders in the country. Merely that he's finished outside the bottom three far more often than he's finished inside it. Which is a weird statistic for a 'bottom three' manager (your claim). 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Is that a real bet?

Yarp

Former Newcastle managers Steve McClaren (50/1), Joe Kinnear (50/1), Alan Shearer (50/1) and John Carver (60/1), make the list, as do former Sunderland bosses Steve Bruce (33/1), Roy Keane (50/1) and Paolo Di Canio (100/1).

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/odds-next-newcastle-manager-offer-14169313

41 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Doesn't Bruce employ similar tactics though? For me, there's a big difference in quality which separates them. 

I've absolutely no love for Bruce's football ,let's have that right . I,m totally against all forms of parking .

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What backing did Garde have ? Nothing in comparison to Lambert ,and I mean ,literally nothing . His treatment was nothing short of shocking .

I don't disagree....I guess he didn't do his due dilligence.....or was lied to>

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yarp

Former Newcastle managers Steve McClaren (50/1), Joe Kinnear (50/1), Alan Shearer (50/1) and John Carver (60/1), make the list, as do former Sunderland bosses Steve Bruce (33/1), Roy Keane (50/1) and Paolo Di Canio (100/1).

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/odds-next-newcastle-manager-offer-14169313

Some of the other names on the list are simply just  :crylaugh:

Gazza @ 175/1,  Joe Kinnear 50/1 & John Carver 60/1

Who compiled this list? Mickey Mouse?

31 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've absolutely no love for Bruce's football ,let's have that right . I,m totally against all forms of parking .

and yet we are 1 goal for, behind Cardiff, Fulham, Bristol City & Sheff Utd & 2 behind Brentford who are held as the shining light of attacking football.

just saying.....

perhaps the bus we are parking is a " Mini-Bus":)

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why am I assuming, for the sake of your argument, that he would have been relegated with Sunderland, when he was sacked with the team in 16th? I agree it's not a promising position, but it isn't in the relegation zone and it just seems to be doing your argument a favour for no good reason. 

Even if I grant it, though, he was a 'bottom 3 manager' (your claim), less than 50% of the time, including with some clubs whose resources would presumably be significantly smaller than our own were we to be promoted. 

But nobody is arguing that Steve Bruce is a better relegation-avoider than the two most famous relegation-avoiders in the country. Merely that he's finished outside the bottom three far more often than he's finished inside it. Which is a weird statistic for a 'bottom three' manager (your claim). 

Thank you for getting there first so I didn't have to type this out myself :) 

It seems very strange to rank Bruce as a bottom 3 manager based on those stats, and even weirder to rate him alongside Garde who surely has one of the worst records in our history? :) 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

and yet we are 1 goal for, behind Cardiff, Fulham, Bristol City & Sheff Utd & 2 behind Brentford who are held as the shining light of attacking football.

just saying.....

perhaps the bus we are parking is a " Mini-Bus":)

How many behind Wolves ? Just asking .

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Lied to ,I'd say betrayed and humiliated . I doubt he will ever fully recover his desire for the game    .

I would think most managers have been **** on in their careers at some point.....its hardly a pre requisite, to be fighting and motivating teams.

He would do well to move on, ignore it and implement somewhere this talent some folk believe he has.....He needs to bounce back, otherwise his critics will be proved right.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Hopefully those odds narrow rapidly 

get in quick....you might make some money.:)

You'll get better odds Villa being in this league next season.

Â