Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

The general consensus is Wins

The problem is you could draw every game hypothetically and still go down unbeaten, so draws are glorified defeats depending on your view.

That’s exactly why points per game is a better indicator in my opinion. 44% wins gives you about 60 points from 46 games, if you lose the rest of the games then you won’t even make the playoffs, if you draw them then you’re close to 2nd. So whilst you may be right in our position, where we’re already playing catch to some extent after a poor start, draws do make a difference over the course of a season.  I’m quite partial to wins myself though :)

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

Surely no one is remotely suggesting he is our best ever manager ?  I would struggle to comprehend this - so until someone says differently I take it as no ?

Go onto Facebook Villa groups, you would be amazed. lol

I think it depends what is meant by " best" manager.

I would suspect Steve is very popular with everyone at the club, similar to the presence Graham Taylor created......He has galvanised things and created an aura of goodwill,around the place,thats my view.

He is only in work in progress with the team, but is making progress albeit slower than some thought.

I don't know about best manager.....but I have been impressed with the way he has galvanised the club as a whole.....stability is creeping back, solidity is emerging and our reputation as a whole is recovering.

steady progress is encouraging.....slowly, slowly catch a monkey.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Since I've been following Villa it's -

O'Neill

O'Leary, Lambert

------------------------------------------

Houlier, Bruce, Garde

McLeish, RDM

Sherwood

I would rate Bruce above Lambert and maybe at the same level as O'Leary. Hard to judge Bruce until he is in the PL with us.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I would agree with that but then he is up against some of the worst managers in our history.

I would be careful not to throw them all on the scrap heap.....our club was in need of major attention, I think the place was poison in terms of the overall out look and structure.

It needed stability and a positive vibe injected.....the problem is the only thing that gives a manager "time" is paradoxically positive results.....they didn't get them so subsequently never had the time required.

When Steve arrived maybe a bit of the work had already started, but not made its way on to the pitch....steve then moved it on, by giving himself that time by securing some results and breaking the negative cycle.

its all synergetic, wins create stability, stability encourages wins.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I would rate Bruce above Lambert and maybe at the same level as O'Leary. Hard to judge Bruce until he is in the PL with us.

For me, Bruce is bottom 3 PL quality. O'Leary and Lambert had/have higher ceilings and give you a better chance of staying up as well. 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would be careful not to throw them all on the scrap heap.....our club was in need of major attention, I think the place was poison in terms of the overall out look and structure.

It needed stability and a positive vibe injected.....the problem is the only thing that gives a manager "time" is paradoxically positive results.....they didn't get them so subsequently never had the time required.

When Steve arrived maybe a bit of the work had already started, but not made its way on to the pitchBy....steve then moved it on, by giving himself that time by securing some results and breaking the negative cycle.

its all synergetic, wins create stability, stability encourages wins.

Don't tempt fate ,TRO .

;)

20 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I don't think Steve is a dynamic type.....in so much as achieving quick results. He's a steady Eddie.

I think he is a " slow burn" manager.....one who sees all the problems but slowly goes about rectifying them( that time is what seperates some of our opinions) The inability to buy players now has also made this so, so its a case of improving things at a much slower rate.....inevitably you get set backs, he has taken them all in his stride and exuded an air of control and composure....even when the pressure is on and his red neck appears, he remains calm and focused and still retains his spirit to have a pop back and not resemble a shrinking violet, like some have resorted to.

It is arguably a more sustainable way too.....the quicker its built, the quicker it crumbles is sometimes the case.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't tempt fate ,TRO .

;)

I will try not to.....and it is all fragile, because every club we are competing against has similar ambitions....but equally, we have to drive on.

what i am trying to encourage, is positivity ( within reason) we all motivate each other on here and if enough fans feel upbeat, it finds its way on to the pitch on matchday....thats what synergy does......they feed off us, we feed off them.

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Go onto Facebook Villa groups, you would be amazed. lol

I tend to find folks like that are either overcompensating to get their view across or simply trying to get under the skin of bruce-outers. there are extremes on both sides of the argument as i've seen real hatred towards him on FB therefore i dont find FB to be a true reflection...but then i've said that about villatalk too! my group of pals say keep him on even if we dont go up...but i know such opinions aren't welcome here ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I tend to find folks like that are either overcompensating to get their view across or simply trying to get under the skin of bruce-outers. there are extremes on both sides of the argument as i've seen real hatred towards him on FB therefore i dont find FB to be a true reflection...but then i've said that about villatalk too! my group of pals say keep him on even if we dont go up...but i know such opinions aren't welcome here ;)

As I've said before on some of those groups, they make me appreciate Villatalk as a place of common sense and reason ffs. lol

Every opinion on there which is not agreed with is turned into "You are an armchair fan, F*ck off and support Blues, you are the poison of this club" etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â