Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Before this argument about win ratios erupts as it does periodically...

Win ratios cannot be directly compared. You can't say Steve Bruce is better than Ron Atkinson becuase he has a better win ratio, because there are tonnes of variables that need to be taken into account. Mainly the fact we're in a different league now.

However, win ratio CAN be used as a general indication of performance. The fact Bruce's is so good is an indication that he's probably doing a decent job.

For the record I completely agree with this, a perfect summary of the situation.

27 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, he mentioned other managers, so I see that as comparison.

A comparison of win ratios, which is totally valid. It's factual information. It cannot be denied that Bruce's ranks where it is.

What you can't do, which the tweet or the poster hasn't done, is use that to make a comparison of managerial ability or success.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

"Looking at current win ratios - Steve Bruce has a better win ratio 44.4% then ANY villa manager since 1990 - Graham Taylor's first stint at the club #avfc #UTV"

https://twitter.com/TheVillaHome/status/953221708449763328

And this season its about 50% in the league.

We keep winning games and all the stats look after themselves.

Edited by TRO

35 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well I think we can all agree with this conclusive evidence that Bruce is indeed, our greatest ever manager. 

No. more. discussions. 

I think he is better than that :angry::P

just kidding, don't want to cause an avalanche.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

YEA BUT IF E' DOW GET TO 100% WIN RAAAAATE IN THE NEXT TAO GEAMES.. THEN SACK IM'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AY PUTTIN' UP WITH NAO FECKIN LESS! UNOWORRAMEEEEN? 

Bildresultat för sarcasm detector gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A comparison of win ratios, which is totally valid. It's factual information. It cannot be denied that Bruce's ranks where it is.

What you can't do, which the tweet or the poster hasn't done, is use that to make a comparison of managerial ability or success.

That is exactly what the poster has done. See where it says``better than any Villa manager since 1990''.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is exactly what the poster has done. See where it says``better than any Villa manager since 1990''.

I think he meant better " Win Ratio"  not better manager.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Before this argument about win ratios erupts as it does periodically...

Win ratios cannot be directly compared. You can't say Steve Bruce is better than Ron Atkinson becuase he has a better win ratio, because there are tonnes of variables that need to be taken into account. Mainly the fact we're in a different league now.

However, win ratio CAN be used as a general indication of performance. The fact Bruce's is so good is an indication that he's probably doing a decent job.

I do agree Bruce is no where near as good as Big Ron - this is a given 

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

If Steve Bruce has a 44.4% record after 2 years in the top division I’ll start a petition for a statue. It’s pointless drawing comparisons like this unless it’s all in the same division. What was Taylor’s in the 2nd division? To put that stat belittles achievements of Saunders, Atkinson and a host of others in a vain attempt to say Bruce is doing well when in reality he’s doing ok but is still under acheiving. Let’s hope that stat gets to over 50% by the end of this season then I think he’ll have the chance to show his worth in the PL. 

fwiw

Bruce this year - 27 LEAGUE GAMES (UP TO 16 JAN) - W13- D8- L6

GT in 87/88 - 27 LEAGUE GAMES (UP TO 1 JAN) - W13 - D10 - L4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

fwiw

Bruce this year - 27 LEAGUE GAMES (UP TO 16 JAN) - W13- D8- L6

GT in 87/88 - 27 LEAGUE GAMES (UP TO 1 JAN) - W13 - D10 - L4

So we can't loan Januzaj?

• Haha 1

I think win ratio's are interesting.

I accept that in isolation they cannot be used to determine how good a manager is.

However having the ability to win games cannot be sniffed at.....and is a useful benchmark

The argument that you can't compare one division with another, i can understand the point and the reason for it,but not sure i entirely agree with that in full.....A manager in one division, usually has players of the ability commensurate with that division, so the wins are relative.If one team from one division plays another team in another division( which only happens in cups) then i would be more inclined to agree.

The higher the division its much harder to win, but you have in the main better players commensurate to do it.

interestingly too....when wikipedia compile these things they list a managers win ratio relative to the club they managed, they then produce a cumulative win ratio in the total column irrespective of what division that manager was managing in....so presumably they too think that is relevant.

personally, i think that is right, because it is all relative.

I also accept that to value a manager, win ratio's are just one factor amongst many,many.

Â