Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think Bruce is slowly building a fantastic team. He inherited a squad where we didn't have any passion, fight, desire, or team ethic. We didn't look like scoring. We were rubbish. 

Now players are working really hard, we look dangerous with balls into the box. Counter attacking, balls in behind, pressuring the opposition, shots from the edge of the box. 

We look a bit shaky at defending corners though- this needs improvement and we are a little slow at the back imo. 

Bruce has used the loan system well- Onomah and Snodgrass.

He has removed bad influences- Ross Mc

He is managing the players well. Who seems unhappy? 

He has brought in experienced players that are respected in the group - Terry, Whelan, Samba

You can't knock the job he is doing. 

• Like 2

I'm going to move away from the gifs and stats for a minute and post a thought instead.  Imagine that!

I've been thinking about the massive upturn in form, not just from the team as whole but certain individuals.  Adomah has gone from a fairly handy but inconsistent winger to the Championship Ronaldo; Snodgrass has recaptured the form we saw of him last time he was in this division; Hutton actually looks like the Scottish Cafu, whichever side he's playing on.

Part of it is down to confidence.  Wins breed wins, and there's evidence of that here.  But I think the move for Adomah to the left (whilst perhaps forced through injury) has fundamentally changed the shape of the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 we were using prior to that.

Both Adomah and Snodgrass are inside forwards now.  They will always want to cut inside onto their stronger foot.  Full backs will always want to come with them because they're talented players in good form.  This opens up space down the flanks for the full-backs to fill, or for Onomah and/or Hourihane to drift into.  This means we've not only got a man running at the heart of the defence, but the chance to overlap with support.

It was apparent yesterday that when one of Albert or Snodders gets the ball out wide, they've got AT LEAST two options on most occasions.  The full back will get forward and go past if they can, and then two of the central players will join them too.  More often than not this is Onomah, who is thriving in his role behind Davis that allows him to find that space once the inside forwards go central.

If you think back, or get chance to see extended highlights anywhere, have a look at the shape when one of the wide players has the ball towards the touchline around 20-25 yards out.  It's hard for the opposition to mark against without completely losing their shape - unless they're playing two defensive midfielders.

Previously, with out-and-out wingers, there was nowhere for supporting players to go.  On the right, Adomah would want to get the ball over early or head for the byline.  This would lead to Hutton having nowhere to go and usually being 10 yards away from him.  The change in movement now is causing havoc for opposition defences.

Whilst the switch of sides for Adomah may have been forced, I think the change in style that has come with that is commendable for both the team and the coaching staff.  It's been a long time since I've seen us have so many options - viable ones - in attacking positions.

We just need Davis to find his shooting boots, and we'll start to tonk a few sides with this system.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm going to move away from the gifs and stats for a minute and post a thought instead.  Imagine that!

I've been thinking about the massive upturn in form, not just from the team as whole but certain individuals.  Adomah has gone from a fairly handy but inconsistent winger to the Championship Ronaldo; Snodgrass has recaptured the form we saw of him last time he was in this division; Hutton actually looks like the Scottish Cafu, whichever side he's playing on.

Part of it is down to confidence.  Wins breed wins, and there's evidence of that here.  But I think the move for Adomah to the left (whilst perhaps forced through injury) has fundamentally changed the shape of the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 we were using prior to that.

Both Adomah and Snodgrass are inside forwards now.  They will always want to cut inside onto their stronger foot.  Full backs will always want to come with them because they're talented players in good form.  This opens up space down the flanks for the full-backs to fill, or for Onomah and/or Hourihane to drift into.  This means we've not only got a man running at the hear of the defence, but the chance to overlap with support.

It was apparent yesterday that when one of Albert or Snodders gets the ball out wide, they've got two options AT LEAST on most occasions.  The full back will get forward and go past if they can, and then two of the central players will join them too.  More often than not this is Onomah, who is thriving in his role behind Davis that allows him to find that space once the inside forwards go central.

If you think back, or get chance to see extended highlights anywhere, have a look at the shape when one of the wide players has ball towards the touchline around 20-25 yards out.  It's hard for the opposition to mark against without completely losing their shape - unless they're playing two defensive midfielders.

Previously, with out-and-out wingers, there was nowhere for supporting players to go.  On the right, Adomah would want to get the ball over early or head for the byline.  This would lead to Hutton having nowhere to go and usually being 10 yards away from him.  The change in movement now is causing havoc for opposition defences.

Whilst the switch of sides for Adomah may have been forced, I think the change in style that has come with that is commendable for both the team and the coaching staff.  It's been a long time since I've seen us have so many options - viable ones - in attacking positions.

We just need Davis to find his shooting boots, and we'll start to tonk a few sides with this system.

Excellent points and evident when Hutton was on the left and couldn't overlap. We struggled against Sheff Wed as we couldn't get the space to create chances. 

• Like 1

I've gone from wanting Bruce as my number 1 pick when RDM left to wanting him out to thinking he is done reasonably well. However, it annoys me when he blatantly lies. He has done it a fair few times this season and it is frustrating because it belittles us fans. He is now saying that Adomah was not in the team because of Green's great form. Firstly, what great form? He was blowing hot and cold. Secondly, Green has primarily played on the left for us which, prior to this season, Adomah had never done for us. So frustrating. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Both Adomah and Snodgrass are inside forwards now.  They will always want to cut inside onto their stronger foot.  Full backs will always want to come with them because they're talented players in good form.  This opens up space down the flanks for the full-backs to fill, or for Onomah and/or Hourihane to drift into.  This means we've not only got a man running at the hear of the defence, but the chance to overlap with support.

It was apparent yesterday that when one of Albert or Snodders gets the ball out wide, they've got two options AT LEAST on most occasions.  The full back will get forward and go past if they can, and then two of the central players will join them too.  More often than not this is Onomah, who is thriving in his role behind Davis that allows him to find that space once the inside forwards go central.

If you think back, or get chance to see extended highlights anywhere, have a look at the shape when one of the wide players has ball towards the touchline around 20-25 yards out.  It's hard for the opposition to mark against without completely losing their shape - unless they're playing two defensive midfielders.

Good post. It's quite a simple style but very effective.  As @omariqy pointed out it is reliant on FB's getting forward as it didn't work while Taylor was out. Adomah suffered for it.

We should probably be looking at a back up lb in January.

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've gone from wanting Bruce as my number 1 pick when RDM left to wanting him out to thinking he is done reasonably well. However, it annoys me when he blatantly lies. He has done it a fair few times this season and it is frustrating because it belittles us fans. He is now saying that Adomah was not in the team because of Green's great form. Firstly, what great form? He was blowing hot and cold. Secondly, Green has primarily played on the left for us which, prior to this season, Adomah had never done for us. So frustrating. 

Agree. I mentioned before I tend not to listen to him anymore because he is full of s**t. 

But as long as we keep winning he can say what he wants.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Secondly, Green has primarily played on the left for us which, prior to this season, Adomah had never done for us. So frustrating. 

Unless the plan was to use him as a left winger this season?  Maybe he'd seen something in training?

Remember we all questioned why he'd signed another right sided player in Elmo, but seemingly left us short of cover on the left wing.

We'll never know, but playing devil's advocate here perhaps he's not had enough credit for Albert's move to the left.  We've all (myself included in my last post) said it was forced upon him, but looking at the signings in the summer it would suggest it was part of the plan.

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We'll never know, but playing devil's advocate here perhaps he's not had enough credit for Albert's move to the left.  We've all (myself included in my last post) said it was forced upon him, but looking at the signings in the summer it would suggest it was part of the plan.

Sorry but this is just BS. If Green hadn't got injured Albert most likely would've been a bit part player this season. God knows what would've happened had not Bacuna left.

I'm all for giving Bruce all the credit in the world for our upturn in form, and subsequent results, but let's not get carried away this was all part of a grand masterplan. Much of it was forced upon him, but then again he's now kept picking the same winning side, and it's working. Long may it continue.

Edited by vreitti

33 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Everyone is now saying Adomah was out of favour at the start of the season. Wasn't it reported at the time he was injured? As soon as he was ready he was back on the bench in September, was great coming on v Boro and the rest is history.

Surprised you say SB was thinking of moving him as he was a regular last season. Maybe he was one of those we were thinking of selling to help battle FFP.

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sorry but this is just BS. If Green hadn't got injured Albert most likely would've been a bit part player this season. God knows what would've happened had not Bacuna left.

I'm all for giving Bruce all the credit in the world for our upturn in form, and subsequent results, but let's not get carried away this was all part of a grand masterplan. Much of it was forced upon him, but then again he's now kept picking the same winning side, and it's working. Long may it continue.

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We'll never know, but playing devil's advocate here...

In common parlance, the term devil's advocate describes someone who, given a certain point of view, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

Just thought it would be interesting to have another look at the summer recruitment given the way things have panned out, but thanks for labelling my post as BS and sharing your seemingly ITK view with us  :thumb:

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Unless the plan was to use him as a left winger this season?  Maybe he'd seen something in training?

Remember we all questioned why he'd signed another right sided player in Elmo, but seemingly left us short of cover on the left wing.

Adomah was sitting in the stands for some games. Not even making the bench would suggest it wasn't the plan. 

Doesn't matter though, Bruce won't be the only manager to stumble on something that works and he's stuck with it and continued to get the best out of him. 

• Thanks 1

It's a big squad with competition for places - that Adomah gets his chance and takes it admirably can somehow be used to bash the manager - after 3 straight wins - just smacks of a grudge against the manager. Time to look forward, not back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

Just thought it would be interesting to have another look at the summer recruitment given the way things have panned out, but thanks for labelling my post as BS and sharing your seemingly ITK view with us  :thumb:

Oh thanks good Sir for educating me, now I finally know the meaning of that saying...

I never ceases to amaze me, the length at which ppl are willing to go to applaud Bruce.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've still not decided if it's intentional or he's just so blasé towards the press that this guff just tumbles out of his mouth and he invents it as he goes.

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's a big squad with competition for places - that Adomah gets his chance and takes it admirably can somehow be used to bash the manager - after 3 straight wins - just smacks of a grudge against the manager. Time to look forward, not back. 

It's got nothing to do with a grudge. Nothing at all. I just don't rate Bruce as a manager. 

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Totally agree with this. A player scores 10 goals and the manager gets bashed. You couldn't make it up

Â