Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't worry - the flip side of this will be posted when we next fail to win a game.

We could win 9 on the spin and when we lose the 10th game it'll be carnage on here.

I've always leant towards giving Bruce more time but I was borderline a few months back but I think sometimes people (including me) forget how rotten to the core this club was. It takes time to change the whole culture of failure that resonated through the club. The job is still far from done but seems we have broken the back of it now and things are looking positive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Criticism of Steve Bruce's ability to get us promoted has always been premature. The criticism of his style of play is still justified and I think will remain so all season.

But if it leads to promotion not one single fan should care. If we get promoted and fans are still moaning about how we did it then they are probably better off supporting Barcelona.

Exactly. 'Bruceball' has always been effective if not pretty on the eye in getting out of the division. 

26 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The purchase of Hogan was a very expensive and very avoidable mistake. Ok some players just don’t work out, but we should have had enough knowledge of how he plays and said, good player but doesn’t suit the style we play. 

In general I’m greatly encouraged by our recent results and I can’t see that changing managers now would help particularly. That time has passed. My worry is, and always has been, that I fear that we’re not winning many games particularly convincingly and we could easily go on a poor run. Yes I know that can happen to any team, but the poor start has left us no room for manoeuvre. Results wise we seem to have turned a corner, but in my opinion not performance wise, and so that leaves us fragile. If we were dominating most games, like Newcastle last year and Wolves this year, then I’d be convinced we’d reached a different level. 

We’ve done well recently and I congratulate the whole team, including Steve Bruce for that, with the caveat that those results were all against average/poor teams. That’s not a criticism as you can only beat what is in front of you, however a few good results against some of the better teams in the division, starting with Leeds hopefully, would really boost confidence. If we can do that, then teams will really fear us and the team will have a deeper and more resilient confidence. Flat track bullies or real promotion contenders? We’ll find out soon enough. 

UTV. 

Dave, i think many folk were in favour of Hogan, so to now deem it as a mistake that was avoidable is very convenient.

hindsight is an exact science.

I think changing managers now would encourage men in little white coats to come and take you away haha.

The convincing bit is notable but also an element of your own mind. I mean what is convincing, one mans convincing is not necessarily anothers.

Wolves are in a purple patch and what is the point in comparing ourselves with them....we can finish second and go up.

you make a sound point about you can only beat who is in front of you....but then  your begrudging praise acts as a dampner.

Just enjoy it.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just gon' leave this here...

4 wins and 1 defeat away from being highlighed as a kebab eating potatohead who's teams are rubbish to watch and has the tacticle nois of an Uber Cab driver ( according to a select few on villatalk).

We've never had a manager with a win % higher than 50% 

Most of the better ones in recent history hover between 41%-45% (Saunders, Barton, GT MK1, BFR, Little, Gregory, MON)

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play to him. It will mean he is one our best ever managers outside of top flight football. 

No, it means he's one of our best ever managers.  We've been way further down the leagues than this and managers haven't got the record he has at the moment.

You can only beat what's in front of you.  Right now, that's what he's doing.

EDIT - I don't want to get into a "best ever managers" debate here, because I don't feel like I could say that about him.  He's got one of our best ever win %age records though, and when he came in that was something we could only have wished for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

We've never had a manager with a win % higher than 50% 

Most of the better ones in recent history hover between 41%-45% (Saunders, Barton, GT MK1, BFR, Little, Gregory, MON)

True but surely you have to compare managers in like for like leagues. Otherwise it's meaningless. 

• Like 2

Thrilled we managed to overcome the last "easy fixture" with a positive result. Next three will be the real test. Having watched Leeds easily beat Barnsley tonight, I'm quite worried, as they have the players to seriously hurt us. Bruce will have to come up with something different come Friday. Don't think they'll fear us, and an overcautious approach will almost certainly backfire. We need to make life difficult for them, by not allowing them too much possession. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but surely you have to compare managers in like for like leagues. Otherwise it's meaningless. 

Of course yes, I was just making a point in general. If Bruce ends this season with a win ratio of 60% then while it will be great, I won't consider it to be the best of all time for Villa

Similar to when Kodija nearly scored 20 league goals last year - its not as impressive as doing it in the top flight

• Like 3

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

No, it means he's one of our best ever managers.  We've been way further down the leagues than this and managers haven't got the record he has at the moment.

You can only beat what's in front of you.  Right now, that's what he's doing.

So he is better manager for us than one that delivers the Division one title or European Cup or any trophy because his win percentage is higher?  

I know you don't mean that I and I don't want to take the win percentage achievement away from him. But right now it means F all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Thrilled we managed to overcome the last "easy fixture" with a positive result. Next three will be the real test. Having watched Leeds easily beat Barnsley tonight, I'm quite worried, as they have the players to seriously hurt us. Bruce will have to come up with something different come Friday. Don't think they'll fear us, and an overcautious approach will almost certainly backfire. We need to make life difficult for them, by not allowing them too much possession. 

We will lose some games you know? 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well no. 

We're in the Championship and he has had to work with the resources of a Championship club. Vs other Championship clubs. 

Credit where credit is due. If he keeps this us up its madness to keep rattling on. 

My grandma, may she rest in peace, had a fantastic saying for situations like this.

Whenever I complained about something she would say, 'it's better than a kick in the teeth, so quit moaning'

So Bruce is better than a kick in the teeth. 

Get us promoted!

UTV

Â