Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I never ceases to amaze me, the length at which ppl are willing to go to applaud Bruce.

In common parlance, the term devil's advocate describes someone who, given a certain point of view, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's got nothing to do with a grudge. Nothing at all. I just don't rate Bruce as a manager. 

So if it's not a grudge but you just don't rate him, even despite a run of form unrivalled in maybe 5 years, what will it take for you to think he's doing a good job?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no superfan and even a few weeks ago I was questioning his suitability for the job, but the results speak for themselves.  I don't think, after everything this club has been through, that just as we're starting to feel genuinely hopeful it's right pour scorn on what we're doing.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

So if it's not a grudge but you just don't rate him, even despite a run of form unrivalled in maybe 5 years, what will it take for you to think he's doing a good job?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no superfan and even a few weeks ago I was questioning his suitability for the job, but the results speak for themselves.  I don't think, after everything this club has been through, that just as we're starting to feel genuinely hopeful it's right pour scorn on what we're doing.

I've said numerous times recently I think he's doing great at the moment. But I'll reserve 'final judgment' until we've played a few more of the better teams, if you don't mind.

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So what's your own take on the matter then? If the aforementioned was just to ignite the discussion.

It's hard to say definitively.  He'd clearly got a preference to play Green as first choice on the left, and had said that he wanted Grealish behind the front man before he got injured.  He'd signed Elmo to play on the right so Adomah wasn't first choice in either wing  position.

I don't think any of us would've expected Adomah to have a run like this, whichever side he was playing on.  He showed flashes last season, but I know I wasn't overly concerned that he wasn't in the starting XI.

I think Bruce knew Adomah could do a job on either side, but to have been so effective will likely have been a surprise to everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

what will it take for you to think he's doing a good job?

Automatic promotion. 

And until that's possible I'd like to see us seriously challenging the top teams in the division. We're in a great position, but almost all our wins have come against the bottom half. Don't worry though, we'll soon find out what were made of, and these discussions will be moot, thankfully.

• Like 1

I don't think Adomah had done anything special last season to warrant a place in the team. As mentioned he got his chance and he took it. Well done to him and the management staff for playing him in a role and style that he has excelled. 

Nobody in the world could have seen Adomah score all these goals. 

Its not like Bruce was leaving out Messi at the time. He was leaving out Albert Adomah.

Bit of perspective here.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I've said numerous times recently I think he's doing great at the moment. But I'll reserve 'final judgment' until we've played a few more of the better teams, if you don't mind.

This is me posting as a poster, not as a Mod.  Your posts this morning seem a bit spiky.  I'm just trying to have an open debate about our recent success.  I thought a few of my fellow posters might enjoy discussing a few theories.

EDIT - Full transparency here, I'm over-tired so if I'm reading too much into it then I apologise!

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

This is me posting as a poster, not as a Mod.  Your posts this morning seem a bit spiky.  I'm just trying to have an open debate about our recent success.  I thought a few of my fellow posters might enjoy discussing a few theories.

Absolutely fine. After all isn't that what these forums are for!? 

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Automatic promotion. 

And until that's possible I'd like to see us seriously challenging the top teams in the division. We're in a great position, but almost all our wins have come against the bottom half. Don't worry though, we'll soon find out what were made of, and these discussions will be moot, thankfully.

Did you know Newcastle lost 7 games to teams in the top half last season? Yet they also lost both games to Blackburn who got relegated! 

While I understand your concern I think you may be dwelling too much on where our wins have come from. 

Every game is tought in this league. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why should we? We are one of the most in form sides without two of our best players.

We shouldnt fear anyone, even wolves.

Just don't think our form will have any sort of effect at elland road. They'll come at us hard, and we best be prepared to match them in effort, if we want to go home with anything. I'm even willing to accept a loss, because I think they're a really good side, but the manner of an eventual loss will also be of importance (for me).

• Like 1

Lads ffs. Some of you are talking like all a manager does is pick the team on match day. The football manager generation strikes again.

Adomah has had coaching, support, is given a role to play. He has grasped his chance in a way absolutely nobody expected and full credit to all of them. There are too many moving parts for us to say it's solely down to this or that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Just don't think our form will have any sort of effect at elland road. They'll come at us hard, and we best be prepared to match them in effort, if we want to go home with anything. I'm even willing to accept a loss, because I think they're a really good side, but the manner of an eventual loss will also be of importance (for me).

We agree on this.

Their form has been patchy of late, and they seem to have abandoned the tiki-taka approach Christiansen introduced when he first took over.  They're still Leeds, it's still Elland Road, and we're still a prize scalp in this division.

Play well and get beat and I won't be too downhearted.  Play like we did at Wolves and get beat and I'll be pretty annoyed.

• Like 2

Wee-hey we won

3pts

great

4th

Being pragmatic, we are climbing the table, great. We may even get to 2nd. that would be wonderful.

It‘s working (Bruce-Ball, Hoof-Ball, Dinosaur-Ball or Promotion-Ball whichever one wishes to call it)

I‘m not convinced it‘s the right way, so I‘ll reserve the right not to be „Bruced“ yet till we‘re 2nd and pulling away from 3rd like Wolves appear to be doing.

Still ugly and embarrassing to watch the way we play, but I guess my expectations are way to high for the Ch.

Still doesnt ride with me that our start was self-inflicted and that the points total improved by way of injuries forcing Bruce to bring back our best assister from last season, who he replaced 2-fold, and a former non-league youth-player, who is our major effect-player.

Still a long way to go.

Promotion or we‘re f***** still stands

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

a former non-league youth-player, who is our major effect-player.

Jamie Vardy says Hi  ;)

And I'm far from embarrassed at the moment.  I was embarrassed when Sherwood was shithousing up and down the touchline as we got spanked every week, or when we got beat 8-0 at Chelsea.  Successive wins, however we do it, may not be easy on the eye but embarrassing is not a word I'd choose.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Wee-hey we won

3pts

great

4th

Being pragmatic, we are climbing the table, great. We may even get to 2nd. that would be wonderful.

It‘s working (Bruce-Ball, Hoof-Ball, Dinosaur-Ball or Promotion-Ball whichever one wishes to call it)

I‘m not convinced it‘s the right way, so I‘ll reserve the right not to be „Bruced“ yet till we‘re 2nd and pulling away from 3rd like Wolves appear to be doing.

Still ugly and embarrassing to watch the way we play, but I guess my expectations are way to high for the Ch.

Still doesnt ride with me that our start was self-inflicted and that the points total improved by way of injuries forcing Bruce to bring back our best assister from last season, who he replaced 2-fold, and a former non-league youth-player, who is our major effect-player.

Still a long way to go.

Try and enjoy football mate, it's a form of entertainment after all.

In reality it's unlikely that villa will hit form like this again for a long time, so after 5 years of watching utter dogshite..just take a day off and smell the roses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Wee-hey we won

3pts

great

4th

Still a long way to go.

I still think self inflicted ,is a selective view.....i prefer to think it was new faces ,settling in.

Albert has played his way in to this form......it wasn't in evidence at the start of the season, but equally i would have had him in.

I still think there is more to come from us and these results will be no harm to confidence.

I would like to see us garner the space to play in like Wolves, and avoid injuries,but i guess their superior individual skill factor provides that......something to aspire to.

but hey ho.....we all have our views.

Edited by TRO

Â