Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Barry Fry, last managed twenty odd years ago and that would be the most bizzare premier league appointment of all time.

Trevor Francis, last managed 15 years ago and survived a heart attack two years ago.

Zola....sacked by the board 6 months after they took over at West Ham and his hilarious spell at SHA rules that out on its own.

Avram Grant, waiting for Saudi Arabia or someone random to give him a world cup gig.

Big Sam....well if there's one way to lose the fanbase.

McLeish...yeah he could be a possibility although bit deluded considering he was last managing in Egypt.

So that leaves us with someone who worked for that board for 6 years and imagine he's still on good terms with them compared to other owners he's worked under. You really don't need to be Cluedo to work out who Brady was talking about, she did say Managers aswell. :D

Do you know what, above all else what a sad indictment of our own fan base that someone would put faith into what Karen effing Brady says in an attempt to further undermine our own Manager.

To say I've lost faith with our fans is an understatement, if indeed this board represents our fans today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people talk about other people’s weakness and failures with so much pleasure you would swear they are describing their own successes. The two things are different though, aren't they? 

I mean, it couldn't be possible, could it, that someone becomes so convinced of their own truth, they are blinded by that certainty? 

Is that possible? Because if it is, then I guess that same person might just say and do anything in their power to ensure it becomes true, right? At least in so much as they can persuade those around them.

Is that really a thing, though? I mean, is there a set of circumstances, where even if the outcome is yet to be established, some people might actually consider sabotaging the desired result just to be correct?  

That would surely be absurd and counterproductive, no? No one could possibly disagree that constructive criticism is valuable, but that kind, the 'utterly convinced before the fact' kind, surely isn't helpful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Some people talk about other people’s weakness and failures with so much pleasure you would swear they are describing their own successes. The two things are different though, aren't they? 

I mean, it couldn't be possible, could it, that someone becomes so convinced of their own truth, they are blinded by that certainty? 

Is that possible? Because if it is, then I guess that same person might just say and do anything in their power to ensure it becomes true, right? At least in so much as they can persuade those around them.

Is that really a thing, though? I mean, is there a set of circumstances, where even if the outcome is yet to be established, some people might actually consider sabotaging the desired result just to be correct?  

That would surely be absurd and counterproductive, no? No one could possibly disagree that constructive criticism is valuable, but that kind, the 'utterly convinced before the fact' kind, surely isn't helpful.

You mean like when certain members like to believe that SB literally knows nothing about football, despite a 40 odd year career in the game, multiple titles/trophies as a player and more success than most as a Manager?

One can only assume they value their low-end coaching badges and experience of coaching some kids team somewhere and/or their 13 season save game on FM2009 above this.

And yes, I firmly believe that some people would rather be right and see Villa suffer rather than have to hold their hands up and admit they're wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you know what, above all else what a sad indictment of our own fan base that someone would put faith into what Karen effing Brady says in an attempt to further undermine our own Manager.

To say I've lost faith with our fans is an understatement, if indeed this board represents our fans today.

based on social media (largely) and fans i speak to, i dont think it does

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You mean like when certain members like to believe that SB literally knows nothing about football, despite a 40 odd year career in the game, multiple titles/trophies as a player and more success than most as a Manager?

One can only assume they value their low-end coaching badges and experience of coaching some kids team somewhere and/or their 13 season save game on FM2009 above this.

And yes, I firmly believe that some people would rather be right and see Villa suffer rather than have to hold their hands up and admit they're wrong.

the numerous fans that prayed for us to lose v boro confirms that

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

100%

of course, say that on here and you get crucified. 

But it’s so obviously true. 

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I suppose the real puzzle in that case is how, with terrible signings that have been poorly coached and used, we find ourselves in the top 6. There must be a lot of clubs who have made even worse signings and coached them even more poorly, I guess.

Good point.  On the other hand.... the question as I understood it was, how can you blame Bruce for bad signings AND poor coaching?   What I was hoping to make clear is that it’s possible to do a bit of both.  And I think Bruce has done a bit of both.   Which means he’s made some good signings as well.  (Terry, Jedinak, Johnstone, Elmo, come to mind.).  So while it’s reasonable to infer black or white, all or none, thinking from my post, it’s not at all what I meant.   Sometimes forums sacrifice nuance for brevity.  

4 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

A lot depends on the character of the author, as to the nature of the criticism, especially when opinion as opposed to fact is largely at play.

Much of what we all say is opinion....but the personalities with the strongest opinions usually secure the popular vote.

However, I think you make some interesting points.

but if any of us don't like someone it is much easier to find fault.

ps i have not seen a post on here that lists all the negative things about Steve Bruce in their eyes  and what they don't like about his football, but counters that as a bloke i quite like him.....very rare i would say.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Your propaganda and manipulation is almost as good as @Grasshopper but not quite. 

I just try from time to time to remind people in the little bubble that this thread has become, what’s actually happening out there in the real world. 

A reaction like the one above is entirely consistent with rejection of the external reality as opposed to the bubble reality.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Utter nonsense and frankly most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board. If you honestly believe this to be true, I really feel for you. 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I just try from time to time to remind people in the little bubble that this thread has become, what’s actually happening out there in the real world. 

A reaction like the one above is entirely consistent with rejection of the external reality as opposed to the bubble reality.

I do enjoy how you write like what you say is undeniable fact, it is very amusing. Please keep it up..... It saves me leaving my bubble, and its reassuring to know you will keep me informed. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Good point.  On the other hand.... the question as I understood it was, how can you blame Bruce for bad signings AND poor coaching?   What I was hoping to make clear is that it’s possible to do a bit of both.  And I think Bruce has done a bit of both.   Which means he’s made some good signings as well.  (Terry, Jedinak, Johnstone, Elmo, come to mind.).  So while it’s reasonable to infer black or white, all or none, thinking from my post, it’s not at all what I meant.   Sometimes forums sacrifice nuance for brevity.  

Opinions are always unpredictable......i don't think too highly of Elmo.

I think he is a case of no better than what we already had.....but hey ho.

48 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Utter nonsense and frankly most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board. If you honestly believe this to be true, I really feel for you. 

Its not really when some people moan when we lose and moan when we win instead of be happy

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I do enjoy how you write like what you say is undeniable fact, it is very amusing. Please keep it up..... It saves me leaving my bubble, and its reassuring to know you will keep me informed. 

I’ll do my best but I’m an infrequent visitor to this thread these days. Can’t think why.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I’ll do my best but I’m an infrequent visitor to this thread these days. Can’t think why.

Lol, infrequent? Every time I get on here you've posted, don't be modest. You live here!

• Haha 3

Â