Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Could you not argue that Bruce created his own luck with Davis, after all, he would of assessed the young lad before he put him into the side.  

He stated himself, he had NO other choice. If that is true, assesment or not it‘s irrelevant

Look at Rashford for example, he only got played when Martial and all the other strikers picked up an injury...now he is the only United player that has started every game. 

no comment as I‘m not too familiar of the whys and wherefores of that

With Adomah, could you not argue that benching him drove the player into hitting his best ever form for us? 

He was our BEST assister last season, did occur to you that he is at an age where he is still improving and that its not some sort of masterstroke from Bruce polishing a t*rd

Football is a game that has a close and direct relationship with luck and fine margins, it goes for and against.   

Maybe the luck of PNEs injuries was the turning point of our season. Very reassuring indeed.

13 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

no tin hat

no holes barred.

I joined the game last night after 16mins so I cant comment on how good or bad it was.:snip:

I‘ll get pelters and ridicule, but I don‘t care...

You are right that you will get slated

but i love your passion for excellence and would like to see a lot more of it from the manager and the club.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Stevo - I really dont want enemy status between us.

It‘s really not an agenda, honestly. I think that Bruce‘s „way“ is not good enough in the immediate & long term. I really don‘t enjoy the football, and the results so far have not got us promoted or in a promoting position so far. You don‘t have to agree with me, but at least accept my pov.

Those who say they don‘t care how as long as we get promoted, I can understand their pov. I just dont have that opinion. What is soooo wrong with that?

I explained why I see things as I do, and the Art of something is the attraction for me. Surely if you are thirsty and you pay for the drink, it‘s your choice and you choose your prefered drink.

If I pay for a ticket or sky coverage surely I am free to enjoy what I deem enjoyable and vice versa if what I see is not. (Even if I‘m only paying with attention or fanatisism)

Anyway, on with the season.

I honestly want us promoted, I‘ll take a scrape through if it‘s all we get. I wont enjoy the spectacle if this is as good as it gets. 

100 % THIS. I am amazed how you once in a while manage to perfectly echo my thoughts.

My absolute biggest gripe concerning Bruce is that I can see no long term future whatsover with him at the helm. Irrespective of results, "the football" is just plain abysmal (imho), and it will not get any better. Great if he can get us promoted, but I still have doubts, and fear the downfall will happen at a critical point, which will leave us lingering in this league for at least another season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

100 % THIS. I am amazed how you once in a while manage to perfectly echo my thoughts.

My absolute biggest gripe concerning Bruce is that I can see no long term future whatsover with him at the helm. Irrespective of results, "the football" is just plain abysmal (imho), and it will not get any better. Great if he can get us promoted, but I still have doubts, and fear the downfall will happen at a critical point, which will leave us lingering in this league for at least another season.

We don't need a long term future under Bruce.

Defending Bruce does not mean you want him here for years.

I want him here for a MAXIMUM of one season after this one, unless he shows a remarkable ability to manage us in the Prem, which I doubt.

• Like 1

@Grasshopper, I understand and respect your opinion based around the style of play and the entertainment factor.

My question is, when was the last time we ever had a manager that played the type of football you're after, over an entire season?

I can't remember a single season for a very long time in which we have played the assertive, controlling, and attacking football you're after.

The difference with Bruce, is that he is actually getting results...whereas his predecessors all failed in that department. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carewjust4u said:

@Grasshopper, I understand and respect your opinion based around the style of play and the entertainment factor. 

It‘s all I want

My question is, when was the last time we ever had a manager that played the type of football you're after, over an entire season? 

Not even Fergie managed that

I can't remember a single season for a very long time in which we have played the assertive, controlling, and attacking football you're after.  

it‘s more the purpose of intent.

I grew with MoN‘s methods, his last season however was a bridge too far buying loads of shit players (then using the same XI untill they were knackered) however a lot of the stuff was exciting. More importantly we competed.

I liked JG which was a bit pragmatic mostly.

BL & RA was very enjoyable to watch.

I just don‘t like „sh*t for sh*ts sake“

The difference with Bruce, is that he is actually getting results...whereas his predecessors all failed in that department. 

I keep hearing/reading this. To what extent is that true? we‘ve finished 13th are still not top2. He‘s ACTUALLY not got enough results yet! Why claim he has and will, when the evidence of proof hasn‘t been and is not?

40 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

you really dont get it do you?

It‘s obvious from your vocab and style of writing that you are an intelligent chap.

how about leaving in right there?

Leaving 'in' right there? I thought you were all about the 'out'? And no, I don't "get" why you have to bang on the way you do.

In your recent emotional splurge, you mentioned being an artist, which made me wonder what kind because I always thought the key to being a good one was to convey your message (whatever it might be), succinctly and with charm.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a different opinion and no one is denying you it, the issue is with your delivery, the art if you like. 

You can also be as passionate as you like, but endless repetition, with little attention paid to light or shade, merely provides a canvass for others to scrawl across.

Anyway, back to Bruce. He seems to have got the art of picking up points down to a tea just lately.  

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Leaving 'in' right there? I thought you were all about the 'out'? And no, I don't "get" why you have to bang on the way you do.

In your recent emotional splurge, you mentioned being an artist, which made me wonder what kind because I always thought the key to being a good one was to convey your message (whatever it might be), succinctly and with charm.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a different opinion and no one is denying you it, the issue is with your delivery, the art if you like. 

You can also be as passionate as you like, but endless repetition, with little attention paid to light or shade, merely provides a canvass for others to scrawl across.

Anyway, back to Bruce. He seems to have got the art of picking up points down to a tea just lately.  

Glass houses....

We‘ll see if just lately  (I take it you’re ignoring the „just lately“ Wolves & SHA games) is enough come May.

Davis was a “fluke”, agreed, and we shouldn’t enjoy anything that comes from his presence. It’s like Man United fans can’t enjoy their 1999 treble because they needed Solsjkaer and Sheringham to come off the bench to score in the CL final after their starting strikers did nothing. Why didn’t Fergie think to start them the lucky ****?

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

There‘s a big difference in critising the job he‘s doing and personally insulting him.

Calling him cautious or stating an opinion about his football style or decisions are not personal insults.

On 25/08/2017 at 17:56, Grasshopper said:

just hears him on SKY

arrogant patronising word removed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Glass houses....

We‘ll see if just lately  (I take it you’re ignoring the „just lately“ Wolves & SHA games) is enough come May.

I said Bruce has got the art of picking up points down to a tea just lately. 

You then deflected with the above comment, which doesn't make sense because why would you include Blues in a discussion about points, when we picked up a point there?

You also mentioned Wolves and no, I haven't forgotten about the performance against them, or the fact we came away with zero points, but just lately it is the only game we haven't got anything from.

Sloppy, artless, self indulgent splurrrge

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

empty ^ ????

Guilty as charged here.

He was being patronising in my view, maybe the WR was inappropriate forged out of anger.

I was also very disappointed in his comments about Davis after PNE, The guy was motm, and Bruce really shouldnt be biting of the hand that feeds

19 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I said Bruce has got the art of picking up points down to a tea just lately.  

how far back is lately?

You then deflected with the above comment, which doesn't make sense because why would you include Blues in a discussion about points, when we picked up a point there? 

Deflect? because 1 out of 4 in those 2 games is „just lately“ in my view. 7 from 16 in the last 4 (a point is not points if you want pedantic)

You also mentioned Wolves and no, I haven't forgotten about the performance against them, or the fact we came away with zero points, but just lately it is the only game we haven't got anything from.  

Sloppy, artless, self indulgent splurrrge

?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

empty ^ ????

Guilty as charged here.

He was being patronising in my view, maybe the WR was inappropriate forged out of anger.

I was also very disappointed in his comments about Davis after PNE, The guy was motm, and Bruce really shouldnt be biting of the hand that feeds

It saddens me that you are not enjoying our resurgence in recent weeks GH - I hope that some time soon you will gain some pleasure - for me the win at Preston was hugely impressive .

• Like 2

Its absolutely safe to say Bruce is the best bet of getting us up now then without him. We are approaching winter and he hasnt lost the players which is of course pleasing. They seem to be enjoying their football and the team spirit is there to see.

I think if he was sacked now it would lead to a implosion like when rowett went. Whatever happens he has to stay for the immediate future/end of season.

The hysteria dying down has made me feel romantically nourished.  

28 minutes ago, Eastie said:

It saddens me that you are not enjoying our resurgence in recent weeks GH - I hope that some time soon you will gain some pleasure - for me the win at Preston was hugely impressive .

thnx

but there are 24 hrs a day in which I get to do other nice things in life. It would be nice if AVFCs football could  complete the set (of all things in life that can make one happy)

But maybe I dont need it as much as others who are less fortunate in life.

Edited by Grasshopper

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

thnx

but there are 24 hrs a day in which I get to do other nice things in life. It would be nice if AVFCs football could  complete the set (of all things in life that can make one happy)

If Steve Bruce can't please you.....perhaps he should send his wife round.:)

Â