Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-slow-easy-play-13623023

Aston Villa are too slow, easy to play against and have signed the wrong players - pundit

Aston Villa have come under heavy fire for their start to the season

When it comes to the summer of spending and the season so far - Aston Villa haven't done a lot right.

At least that is the verdict of BBC WM pundit Martin O'Connor speaking on the station's football phone in show last night.

O'Connor a former colleague of Steve Bruce at Birmingham City, believes Villa are an easy team to play against due to their lack of pace.

The former Blues skipper also stated that some of the players that have been signed by the manager are not good enough to play for the club.

O'Connor said: "I was there on Tuesday and I was disappointed in Steve and how Villa played against ten men, it is hard to break them down, we know that.

"When you look at Villa since he got there though, nothing has really changed.

"The squad has been like a merry-go-round.

"I look at the squad and how they are trying to play, look at Wolves who get it down and try and play and be expansive and play through the lines.

"I don't see it in Villa, I look at their personnel, Lansbury and Hourihane? I'm not having them.

"It's horrible to say but the fans are starting to turn that little bit more now, you could hear them where we were sitting.

"You need to beat Brentford and Boro at home, you need to beat Bristol City to be thought of as a favourite - I don't see it.

"When you have the money available you have to spend it wisely, I don't think he has.

"Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason are not good enough to play for Aston Villa.

"This is a big club and Steve Bruce is a big manager, is he big enough for this club? Is his recruitment good enough?

"Villa have to not just win at Barnsley, they have to go on a run.

"The problem is that they are too slow, it's too predictable, their is no energy and nobody to pull the team up and give them the energy that they need.

"It's easy to play against them at times."

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Just watched that Bruce interview he is saying some players signed in January have only been here 6 months?

Make that 8 months Bruce!!

He just makes up dates as he goes along :)

I get bedding in periods and all that, but not this is bordering on insinuating that when you sign players in a transfer window, you are actually signing them for the season after the immediate one. lol

14 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Just watched that Bruce interview he is saying some players signed in January have only been here 6 months?

Make that 8 months Bruce!!

He just makes up dates as he goes along :)

So why can other clubs make several signings and get results pretty fast - maybe their managers know how to use the players they sign

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just a slight consideration to nullify the selective notion that we outclassed a team.

Pedant point.

I know I keep saying it but .

it wasnt 60 minutes it was nearly 90 !!!!!

Lost count of how many times I've heard they had 10 for 60 !!

.. it means although our numbers were the same for 30 minutes they'd by far the harder task by then having already done an hour.

• Like 2

Anyway back to the point.

His pronouncements are frankly ludicrous in all sorts of ways. 

Now, either he knows that, in which case he's taking us all for mugs and is a charlatan, or

he doesn't and is the most unself aware man you could imagine.

That don't sound like two good options to me.

And I'm sure those 'upstairs' will have thought the same,

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Pedant point.

I know I keep saying it but .

it wasnt 60 minutes it was nearly 90 !!!!!

Lost count of how many times I've heard they had 10 for 60 !!

.. it means although our numbers were the same for 30 minutes they'd by far the harder task by then having already done an hour.

Thanks for the clarification, I was even trying to give him some leeway.lol

Not sure when Landsbury was sent off.

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get bedding in periods and all that, but not this is bordering on insinuating that when you sign players in a transfer window, you are actually signing them for the season after the immediate one. lol

Well it also begs the question if he thinks it takes players that long to bed in why did he discard McCormack and Tish so quickly ?

but these are details, the last thing we should do is play his game so forget I did so :wacko:

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

Even his own defence of himself is pathetic.

To counter the idea we are boring or defensive he manages to list the following - OUT OF NINE GAMES -

" we weren't against Norwich" (ok)

" we weren't against Wigan " ( well Steve Wigan reserves but go on then)

"we had A CHANCE against Cardiff"

"and A CHANCE against Reading"

:D Brilliant Steve - thanks for highlighting how paltry it's been and showing the criticism levelled at you is entirely deserved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

No he doesn't.  He needs to prove me and the rest of his critics wrong.  He can start any time now.  

I would be surprised if he didn't already know that.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I find that hard to disagree with, he makes some references I have already in my posts

• Too easy to play against
  • Predictable

for an ex colleague as Martin is.....its quite Damning.

ps I think he is right about the 3 players too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Even his own defence of himself is pathetic.

To counter the idea we are boring or defensive he manages to list the following - OUT OF NINE GAMES -

" we weren't against Norwich" (ok)

" we weren't against Wigan " ( well Steve Wigan reserves but go on then)

"we had A CHANCE against Cardiff"

"and A CHANCE against Reading"

:D Brilliant Steve - thanks for highlighting how paltry it's been and showing the criticism levelled at you is entirely deserved.

Yeah but in fairness, you're forgetting "we hit the bar the other night" too.

• Like 2

I'm not particularly bothered by what Steve Bruce says, it's his actions or rather the mind blowing wrong choices that frustrate the hell out of me.

For example, Adomah was our best assister last season even though Bruce started to freeze him out towards the back end of the season. Now he's had to wait for Green to get a long term injury before he gets a chance to play again. Even then he was only on the bench initially against Middlesbrough (probably because he's not defensive enough!). Once again the correct decision to bring Adomah on was forced on Bruce by circumstances rather than choice.

When we played well against Norwich, the team selection was also forced upon him by his own admission.

A short (but nowhere near complete) list of other things that frustrate me:

Not playing Davis and Hogan on the pitch at the same time, when one clearly needs a hold up player alongside, and the other needs a partner spinning off him.

Isolating a single striker and never seeing it as a problem.

Trying to shoe horn Hutton into every team selection until Hutton finally made it impossible for him.

Being afraid to come out of his own half in every away game.

Trying to turn Bjarnason into a utility Bacuna mk2.

Buying three right wingers.

Turning us into one of the oldest teams in the division with almost no sell on value, damaging our future financial well being.

Replacing Baker with Samba.

Etc, etc, ad infinitum.

He can say what he likes, but I'll judge him on his actions which are currently screwing us up every week!

• Like 2

"They've got access to social media or they can ring a radio station, but I do believe the vast majority of the supporters are right behind myself and the team and can see that there's been progress made from what has been a very difficult period for the club over the last few years," he added.

"I can't really engulf myself in that. If it's last chance saloon then so be it. If that's what they want then so be it.

"I can't really answer that the way I would like to but if that's what they want then how can I deny it."

"What's the fix? Off with my head and then somebody else comes in and changes it?

"That's not the way forward surely because if that does then the club just engulfs itself in more mass change."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-13624682.amp

Â