Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Bruce has received a lot worse at grounds over the last 40 years I think, but he is responding to personal crap like the above. Everybody has emotional outbursts during games, but social media and phone-ins go too far IMO - people do lurch from crisis to crisis on social media/forums - I agree with Bruce about the hysteria. There was talk of buying inflatable dinosaurs on twitter, I mean come on! What next - supporting the opposition? Oh wait.....

Bruce has every right to defend himself against this type of personal abuse, I hope it gives him added motivation to prove people like that wrong. 

I think he has got gotten off lightly. He won't prove anyone wrong. The club will go nowhere under him . 

Bruce has received a lot worse at grounds over the last 40 years I think, but he is responding to personal crap like the above. Everybody has emotional outbursts during games, but social media and phone-ins go too far IMO - people do lurch from crisis to crisis on social media/forums - I agree with Bruce about the hysteria. There was talk of buying inflatable dinosaurs on twitter, I mean come on! What next - supporting the opposition? Oh wait.....

Bruce has every right to defend himself against this type of personal abuse, I hope it gives him added motivation to prove people like that wrong. 

I think he has got gotten off lightly. He won't prove anyone wrong. The club will go nowhere under him . 

Gentleman, get real.  Football fans are passionate. If we weren't, there would be no profitable teams or leagues and sky would be showing curling.  Those that make their living in the game know that.  The examples you give of abuse are petty compared to the stuff I've heard and had crowds yell at me.  For cryin out loud, read the Westwood thread you'll see abuse that dwarfs the examples you give.  

I will agree that abuse is unacceptable, but "dinosaur"?  Really?  You call that abuse?   I'm sure you are a fine person, but if Bruce's skin is as thin as you suspect, he would never have survived a single season in the league.  

• Like 2

We will churn out yet another 0-0 or 1-1 today and tomorrow morning he will be gone. I said 8 games at the start of the season and my mind hasn't been changed by what I have seen from us this season.

Regarding the "abuse". People in the game, especially those that have been in it as long as Bruce, know what to expect from the fans. They shouldn't moan about it either because pretty much each and every one of them will have given abuse to the referee or other match officials in their careers. If they give it they should be able to take it. Also, how many players or management staff would have sat there and not slagged off the fans when they have heard rumbles of moaning following a poor attempt at goal or a missed pass? Of course they would sit or stand there and say something like "they couldn't effing do any better".

I remember a previous Villa manager swearing his head off at players, officials. I've heard opposing managers doing the same so they should be able to take it too!

I'm not one for the personal attacks, but I seem to remember Bruce laughing at the fact Villa fans used to call him Mr. Potatohead last year when he signed for us. 

This isn't him upset or angry at people calling him a potato, he's upset and angry that people want him gone. He's 'waited his entire career for an opportunity like this' and I think he's realised it's probably going to end soon so he's trying to save face. 

Bruce didn't fail. Select groups of fans never got behind him and the team because of his blues connection. You can see the excuses now. 

• Like 2

The latest interviews in the Brum Mail just make me want him gone more.  Basically saying the club was crap when he took over, its better now because he knows what he is doing and the only reason he is getting pelters is social media, with the majority of fans behind him.

He continually down plays expectations and yes Steve, a club this size with the squad it has should be ripping through this league.  You talk about isolating the players from the negativity and then talk and set up the team the way you do.  The negativity is not from us, it's from you!!!

Edited by macandally
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't know what you are talking about. That fan put things brilliantly. Bruce is destroying this club, he is ensuring a future of Championship football, where we are competing for a mid table finish. It's a total disgrace, the results are appalling, the football is utterly diabolical and he has absolutely no clue at all whatsoever. He cannot motivate these players, after 11 months he cannot turn around and point to a 'system' or 'philosophy' that is his, everything he does is reactionary, knee jerk and ill considered. He might just rank up there among the worst managers we have had in the past 3 decades, this is truly appalling and us fans deserve a lot better.

That's a great summing up of our situation. And your right the fan on the radio gets it spot on and is in no way insulting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't know what you are talking about. That fan put things brilliantly. Bruce is destroying this club, he is ensuring a future of Championship football, where we are competing for a mid table finish. It's a total disgrace, the results are appalling, the football is utterly diabolical and he has absolutely no clue at all whatsoever. He cannot motivate these players, after 11 months he cannot turn around and point to a 'system' or 'philosophy' that is his, everything he does is reactionary, knee jerk and ill considered. He might just rank up there among the worst managers we have had in the past 3 decades, this is truly appalling and us fans deserve a lot better.

Agreed. I did not think that was a particularly abusive post. The fan got it right.

After Saturday I cracked, I was firmly in the Bruce out camp, couldn't stand the negative dour football any more. I want to attack and enjoy watching games again, want to see the kind of free flowing football we saw under Atkinson and little. I wanted revolution.

Since then I have came back down to earth a little tbh.

The massive problem we have is (as we all know) time. We simply have to get back this year else we will become one of the growing group of 'premiership' clubs stuck in this league. Worse than this is that every year from now on 3 more clubs will come down from the league above with the kind of money that will make everyone else wince. We don't have the time for another aided tilt at this next season, it's now or bust.

If we do fire Bruce and replace him with a dynamic young coach (as a lot on here want) how quick do you think he will settle his ways using the squad Bruce has built? If we take the examples of our own remi guarde or palaces de boar it won't be instantaneous. In fact it would be incredibly unfair to expect it. He will need a big changeover of players to install his way of playing. Even if he didn't and he could use the older guard already here he would need time to install his methods. It May be instantaneous, we may be one of the rare beasts that suddenly flourish and storm the league...or more likely it would be a case of building for a tilt the next year. ...or it simply may not work and it's back into the market.

Unfortunately we havnt got this luxury. 

Next summer everything changes. Summer will be a series of trying to offload our best players for peanuts to try and get the wages off the books. The better players the new manager has interpreted will be the first to go, undermining some of the work already done. It will be chaotic. Worse still all our advantages will be gone.

We all want to avoid this at all costs.

I don't actually care who is in control of the team as long as we get up.  There is no magic manager that will come in and turn us into a winning football team playing fantastic football, there is only another gamble. Our best bet for us avoiding this is to stick with the gamble that we took last season. The best bet we have for utilising (this pretty good) squad most effectively is to stick with the team who assembled them. To see what they envisaged when planning this.  It's only fair but more importantly it's in our best interests.

We knew what we were getting when we hired Bruce, football is not brilliant but he strings results. We have seen this here already, so we know he can do it. 

It's not the way I want to do it, sneaking 1 goal victories mostly, but the end hopefully justifies the means.

Like it or not he is still our best bet of getting up this season. We just have to suck up the crap times that will inevitably come before then.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

There is no magic manager that will come in and turn us into a winning football team playing fantastic football, there is only another gamble.

Perhaps not, but there is someone a hell of a lot better than Bruce out there. Which is good enough for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Perhaps not, but there is someone a hell of a lot better than Bruce out there. Which is good enough for me.

I'm sure there is.

But can you guarantee we will stubble on him? If we do stumble on him can you guarantee we will stick behind him when he has a few major dips?

Â