Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It depends who you replace him with. Southampton did it to Atkins, got criticised, but got a better manager. 

I’m not against Bruce staying, but if the opportunity is there to get someone better then we’d be stupid not to consider them. 

Atkins managed them I'm the Premier League before getting sacked 

I was slightly disappointed with the way we Sat back in the second half, I thought we could of been more attacking.

I don't think Bruce is ever going to lose that cautious streak, it's not like we don't have the players to move the ball forward with pace. 

I'm even more convinced should we go up, that a new manager with a better IQ for tactics should be brought in. Maybe someone like Wagner, I think he's worked wonders in keeping Huddersfield up.

I know it's not going to happen should we get promoted, but for me, he's not the man to take us to future glory.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was slightly disappointed with the way we Sat back in the second half, I thought we could of been more attacking.

I don't think Bruce is ever going to lose that cautious streak, it's not like we don't have the players to move the ball forward with pace. 

I'm even more convinced should we go up, that a new manager with a better IQ for tactics should be brought in. Maybe someone like Wagner, I think he's worked wonders in keeping Huddersfield up.

I know it's not going to happen should we get promoted, but for me, he's not the man to take us to future glory.

Huddersfield, despite doing well to stay up.....have the distinction of not scoring in 19 league games, that 50% of their matches.

I shudder to think what you would be saying, if Bruce had a record like that.

its amazing how we all see things so differently.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It depends who you replace him with. Southampton did it to Atkins, got criticised, but got a better manager. 

I’m not against Bruce staying, but if the opportunity is there to get someone better then we’d be stupid not to consider them. 

See what you mean but this is not necessarily a great example. Pochettino only stayed for one full season then buggered off to something even better for him. Would feel a bit more confident in this point if there were lots more examples of this strategy working.

Bruce has made us a functioning football club again, where so many others failed. I'm quite happy to see him continue on whether we get promoted or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

28 goals all season, the lowest amount ever scored by a team who've managed to stay up. Didn't even reach 40 points either. I like wagner but it's not like he plays a special brand of football. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Only for a while, when they realised he was out of his depth. And look where he is now ?

My point has been lost. So I'll be clear, whatever my views over the last 2 seasons it's all irrelevant for at least the next few weeks. 

We have a chance to be promoted and that's all that matters. I'm behind everyone who is trying to make that happen. 100%.

Nothing else matters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

28 goals all season, the lowest amount ever scored by a team who've managed to stay up. Didn't even reach 40 points either. I like wagner but it's not like he plays a special brand of football. 

They scored 11 of those in 3 games too, 17 goals in the remaining 35 games.

They only stayed up due to other established teams imploding by employing idiots

On 13/05/2018 at 11:11, Dr_Pangloss said:

We did a good tactical job on them but the absolute lack of football that we played in the second half was extremely concerning and we were lucky not to concede based on the amount of possession we allowed them to have in a dangerous areas.

The concern is that with a one goal lead we have a similar approach in the return leg and that a Boro with an 'all or nothing' attitude might just find the quality to turn us over. We have to be more aggressive and do far more with the ball rather than simply boot it back to them, which is what we almost exclusively did in that second half.

You and others making similar points should maybe have a bit more faith in the squad and manager who have got us this far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

You and others making similar points should maybe have a bit more faith in the squad and manager who have got us this far.

I suspect it's a little bit of self-preservation talking in case it all goes to shits.

To be fair even Bruce said in the conference ahead of our second leg that he thought we fell back a little too deep in the second half. He will have pointed this out to the squad. Keep the faith guys and let's send eternal sorrow to boro tomorrow fo sho bro.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

To be fair even Bruce said in the conference ahead of our second leg that he thought we fell back a little too deep in the second half. He will have pointed this out to the squad. Keep the faith guys and let's send eternal sorrow to boro tomorrow fo sho bro.

He most likely will point it out to the squad.....but just saying it, doesn't always fix it.

When individual battles are being lost, it forces a retreat.....nothing the manager says can stop that.....all he can do is bolster dept's or change personnel.

It is most visible when forwards are losing out and we funnel back, sometimes its nothing to do with tactics its just a natural tendency to survive.....and regroup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

He most likely will point it out to the squad.....but just saying it, doesn't always fix it.

When individual battles are being lost, it forces a retreat.....nothing the manager says can stop that.....all he can do is bolster dept's or change personnel.

It is most visible when forwards are losing out and we funnel back, sometimes its nothing to do with tactics its just a natural tendency to survive.....and regroup.

He had done it tactically in the past, but not for a long time. Saturday was good pressure from them plus as you rightly say being less than 100% up top

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You need your striker to hold it up and relieve the pressure. The way Mitrovic did today. The were literally blasting the ball at him and he was holding off defenders to relieve pressure. Davis did it superbly early on the season but I think after a few bad games he lost confidence in himself a bit. 

Unfortunately after what I saw Saturday i don’t think Kodjia is fit enough to contribute this season. The games are way too important and too intense for players not at their best physically and mentally no matter how talented they may be. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

My point has been lost. So I'll be clear, whatever my views over the last 2 seasons it's all irrelevant for at least the next few weeks. 

We have a chance to be promoted and that's all that matters. I'm behind everyone who is trying to make that happen. 100%.

Nothing else matters.

Quite an enlightening post, I've never opened myself this way ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

lol k

What is lol about that?

He's asking people to get behind the team when we're hours away from the second leg of a playoff semi final.

And you respond with lol.

Great, no doubt there'll be a follow up lol if we lose this evening.

• Like 2

Â