Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, weedman said:

You have to remember though that Fulham had scored 4 late goals in the last 4 games before us, Bruce made the defensive changes where the other 4 teams didn't and we won without them really creating anything. Maybe we could have snatched a 3rd by pushing on a bit, but given their record of late goals I think Bruce played it well, remember when we were 2-0 up playing great football against Leicester and lost 3-2 after Sherwood made a load of attacking changes? Not only did he get crucified for that it ended up starting a spiral downward that we took 2 years to get out of. A bit of caution isn't always a bad thing 

I hadn't thought of that, but yeah a lot of the build up talked about how Fulham score goals on the last 15 minutes. All that possession tiring teams out then hitting them at the end.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

but I'd have had Hogan rather than Bjarnason though i) because I don't rate Thaw, and ii) Hogan's pace would've given them something else to think about.

Tough decisions, and I guess looking at the result he got it right

I agreed with all your post mate aside from this.

Adomah was out on his feet so needed replacing. Fulhams biggest attacking threat is in the wide areas and Hutton was increasingly getting sucked inside leaving space on the outside that needed shoring up.

I can't think of many managers who leading with 5 minutes to go would bring on a striker to play left midfield in front of a make shift left back who was being exposed.

The manager hasn't made the right calls often enough in terms of line ups, formations and substitutions but yesterday he got it pretty much right.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We were getting caught on their left, but not so much that it was a concern. 

When he introduced De Laet we effectively ended up with 5 at the back with Elmo almost a third CB. I’m not sure if that was the intention but it’s what happened and as a result we invited them onto us and had absolutely no outlet.

Kodjia absolutely needed to come off, he was done it was more the players he introduced and how they were used that I wasn’t keen on.

We won so it worked but It could have been very different and I think it was overly negative .

Sorry, our right, their left. At the age of 45 you'd have thought I'd have worked out out left from right!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

You talk with a sense of entitlement.....do you keep moving the bar until he can't achieve it.?

just enjoy the win and the few positives, despite Fulham being the better footballing side.

but hey!.....lets give ourselves a break and enjoy the win.

Obviously irony doesn't work to well on a forum does it......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Agreed on all points.

Bruce is vindicated by the result but I don’t have to like or agree with his approach. It’s subjective I guess, he wasn’t wrong to do what he did especially given the outcome, it’s just not how I want to see us playing in this league at home against a side who were poor on the day and who we had largely controlled for 75 minutes.

I don't think Fulham were poor on the day.;)

We have to learn to go for the jugular. Fulham looked shaky all game and if we upside it we could've been out of sight so wouldn't have needed to worry last 5/10 min. Onomah looked dead and OHare's energy in the 10 role would've helped but not going for it and clinging on is what Bruce does. Most say Fulham will be there or there abouts but yesterday showed this league isn't that good. It's over respecting teams that causes us problems. We still need to get a higher tempo or we will struggle in a lot of away games. Any way on to next week. Play as crap as you want just win! 

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think Fulham were poor on the day.;)

Then I can only assume you didn’t see the first half because they were making mistake after mistake after mistake, unforced I might add. Their keeper put the ball out so many times in the first half people were laughing at him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd say they made some mistakes but they certainly were nit poor. They played well and got the ball forward well a lot of the time. Was impressed with them

I didn’t say they were a poor side, but they played poorly in the first half even their manager has stated that.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I didn’t say they were a poor side, but they played poorly in the first half even their manager has stated that.

Yeah that's what I meant how they played. I think they were really decent despite the mistakes

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah that's what I meant how they played. I think they were really decent despite the mistakes

I did say “a side that were poor on the day” which I think is fair, they are a good side but 20 mins aside they were pretty poor yesterday and we had a very large part in their improvement.

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I did say “a side that were poor on the day” which I think is fair, they are a good side but 20 mins aside they were pretty poor yesterday and we had a very large part in their improvement.

You could also say that down to Bruce's tactics we made them poor. We were pressing very high up the pitch, forcing them to pass back to the keeper and for him in turn  to hit it long (which looked like something he's not used to doing, hence it going out of play). 

• Like 4

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

You could also say that down to Bruce's tactics we made them poor. We were pressing very high up the pitch, forcing them to pass back to the keeper and for him in turn  to hit it long (which looked like something he's not used to doing, hence it going out of play). 

You could, I wouldn’t but you could.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope Bruce is watching the Spurs game , because that's how you boss a game ,when you have less possession than the opposition .

I can't see Onomah not wanting to go back to Spurs .

They’re not really bossing it at the moment. They are sitting back and letting Liverpool come at them - even had a couple of decent chances. 

If Villa do that under SB he gets slaughtered on here.

46 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Definitely it was the case that we were "at it" in terms of closing down quickly and denying them time, as best as we could. I think credit for that should go to the coaching and manager (and obviously the players putting in the effort). We got tired towards the end, but remained pretty solid. It's something we didn't do against Wolves, from what I understand (didn't see much of that game).

Also, the selection of Onomah and resting Davies who has looked a bit tired of late was a good move. I'm not a massive Steve Bruce fan by a long way, but credit where it's due. Fulham are a dangerous side, particularly away from home, and we pretty much limited them to about 3 decent chances. That was good from Villa.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope Bruce is watching the Spurs game , because that's how you boss a game ,when you have less possession than the opposition .

I can't see Onomah not wanting to go back to Spurs .

Would have been easier watching Huddersfield against Man U, who just went up.

Some manager Wagner is.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

They’re not really bossing it at the moment. They are sitting back and letting Liverpool come at them - even had a couple of decent chances. 

If Villa do that under SB he gets slaughtered on here.

That's because we don't beat the top teams, 4-1 ,and play with the confidence of a Spurs .

And tbh , I can't ever see us doing that under Bruce. 

• Like 2

Â