Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The defence that has leaked very few goals this season? If our defence is not good enough to contain them then none are in this league. Although Taylor being banned means they will certain target the left side

The defence with a RB that doesn't tackle, CB's with no pace and no proper LB, protected by a slow, small DM. Don't let recent results against toothless opposition lull you into a false sense of security.

Edited by poitier
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the fact Bolton are probably the worst team in the league and play at a brand new stadium with undersoil heating shows how strong this league is these days. Gone are the days of foreign players struggling in the harsh playing conditions of English winters. It doesn't even get that cold anymore! 

Are English winters even that cold? I swear it rarely goes below 0 over there. As a Canadian it always amuses me seeing people complain about English winters :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Are English winters even that cold? I swear it rarely goes below 0 over there. As a Canadian it always amuses me seeing people complain about English winters :D 

I've been away to Sunderland in December and stayed overnight in Newcastle where it was -10. I was freezing and wrapped up like an Eskimo. The group of us went out on the town on the night and there were guys in short-sleeved shirts with no coat and the girls had short skirts and hardly anything on top.

A woman, who was stood behind me in a queue to get into a club, asked me where I was from. She could tell I wasn't from up that way based totally on the fact I was wrapped up against the weather. 

Bruce is from up that way so maybe that dogged style in his personality comes from having frozen his moobs off too many times!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, poitier said:

The defence with a RB that doesn't tackle, CB's with no pace and no proper LB, protected by a slow, small DM. Don't let recent results against toothless opposition lull you into a false sense of security.

Toothless opposition? We have conceded two goals in six games, and two of those were against Bristol city and middlesboro who are not "toothless" also burton Albion until we played them were very good at home. Forest also beat the inform Sheffield united.

next set of fixtures are tougher so we shall see how defence gets on but to dismiss out defence like that is wrong in my view.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's cold when you're talking about spaniards and brazillians who are used to it being hot all the time.

Plus it's not really the cold, it'd be the wind and rain and condition of the pitches that would have been an issue back in the day.

As discussed though, I'm sure it's not really an issue wit modern football.

Given we started the same side for the third game in a week, against a side determined to not lose, I think the Bolton result is fine.  We'll be rested for the Wolves game and I'm sure Steve will play the same team apart from a Taylor replacement.  Wolves aren't impregnable at the back so we'll get opportunities.  I'd take a draw now, but think we have a decent chance of sneaking a win as well.  Should be a much better game of football than the Bolton grapple-fest.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nah we haven't had a cold winter in many years. You watch the old clips from the 70s when they used to play on snow covered pitches. How often do we even get snow now. 

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Amuses us swedes too ^_^

So our record in Sept vs Wolves'

Villa - 0 - 0 v Brentford

Wolves - 1 - 0 v Millwall

Villa - 0 - 0 v Mboro

Wolves - 3 - 3 v Bristol

Villa - 3 - 0 v Barnsley

Wolves - 2 - 1 v Forest

Villa - 2 - 1 v Forest

Wolves - 2 -  1 v Barnsley

Villa - 4 - 0 v Burton 

Wolves 0 - 2 v Sheffield Utd

Villa - 1 - 0 v Bolton

Wolves - 4 - 0 v Burton 

Villa  - W 4 - D 2 - L 0 Pts = 14

Wolves - W 4 - D 1 - L 1 Pts = 13 

It'll be tough, but they're not as good as everyone on here is claiming.

A draw would be a good result for us, and they tend to concede to crosses, good job we have 4 great crossers in Adomah, Snodgrass & Elmo and 2 good header'ers in Kodj and Davis.  

Keep tight, get it wide and into the box, we'll score a goal. 

Nothing to fear - chill out. 

To everyone saying "we've only beat bad teams" - well Wolves have only beat Millwall, Burton, Forest & Barnsley, by either the same, or worse margins.  

They've lost or drawn against "the good" teams (Bristol & Sheff Utd).  

Beat them and we're only 1 point behind them, even though we're "**** shit" "Clueless" & "probably the worst team in the world, ever". 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

Bruce is from up that way so maybe that dogged style in his personality comes from having frozen his moobs off too many times!

No, not literally.:)

CBV8YNfWUAAKMGo.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 29/09/2017 at 17:49, DCJonah said:

I think there's plenty who could bring themselves to acknowledge they were wrong. If we go up I know I'll admit it. I think some are still expressing concern towards the idea that they should eat humble pie or that Bruce has proven he's the right man because of a few games. At the end of the day he's failed unless we are a premiership team next season. 

Ah right, sorry, didn't realise it was okay to write him off after the first 3 games but not to take another view after the next 7.........

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Binary page 15 reached! Happy times

I'm furious, current results are irrelevant because I know Bruce is incapable of getting us up.

VS

I'm furious, Bruce has proved he can get sides up before, so despite the occasional poor performances, I'm encouraged by the recent form and I'm prepared to keep an open mind.

(delete as appropriate)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's not cold in terms of actual temperature but it is greatly exacerbated by the wind and rain. -20 is much nicer than an English 5 degree day. 

true, the humidity factor plays its part but I wouldn't say that -20 is MUCH NICER than an English 5 degree day and I've experienced both plenty of times ;)

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

true, the humidity factor plays its part but I wouldn't say that -20 is MUCH NICER than an English 5 degree day and I've experienced both plenty of times ;)

As have I and I'd definitely take the latter! 

4 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I'm furious, current results are irrelevant because I know Bruce is incapable of getting us up.

VS

I'm furious, Bruce has proved he can get sides up before, so despite the occasional poor performances, I'm encouraged by the recent form and I'm prepared to keep an open mind.

(delete as appropriate)

Well that seems a nice fair balanced way of describing it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Toothless opposition? We have conceded two goals in six games, and two of those were against Bristol city and middlesboro who are not "toothless" also burton Albion until we played them were very good at home. Forest also beat the inform Sheffield united.

next set of fixtures are tougher so we shall see how defence gets on but to dismiss out defence like that is wrong in my view.

I'm not really dismissing our defence, but those comments were a counterbalance to you implying that they were the best in the division. 

I still think toothless is a fair summary of the opposition, Burton have scored 6, Bolton 4, Boro had 10 men. We didn't concede against Brentford but the defence was shambolic, and wasn't our keeper motm in several games?

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, and I'm looking forward to seeing us playing some better quality opposition.

Maybe Steve Bruce is not the only one....

interesting article written in last saturdays Sun by Paul Jiggins citing Pochettino's critics who said he only had one way of playing in his first season 4-2-3-1 and that he had no plan B or C.....now they say he has more formations than "strictly"

They said the manager who was the most predictable in the prem is now playing hard to guess.

managers do change as circumstances change.

Poch says " i hear all about plan B and Plan C but the most important thing is to just have a plan, many plans ....its important to have different ways, because you have different players available.

it says its just how far spurs and Poch has evolved.

Maybe as Steve moves forward and he gets better players in the forth coming  windows, he too may silence his critics.....with his team evolving.

we will see.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

Â