Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Well I've been patient, but for me that was the final straw. I even waited a day before I checked on villatalk, but enough is enough.

brentford at home was a must win game, the Dr already identified September as a crucial month, therefore if we don't beat Middlesboro at home on Tuesday it should be time for Bruce to pack his bags.

Listening to his post match interviews he sounds as clueless as his team is playing. Yesterday he was all blame me I should have changed things, and then he was blaming the fact who we had players on international duty.....surely if that's any of the problem at all then it's indication that we have better players than other teams in this league. 

Moaning that the three youngsters he played were tired after international duty....then maybe use your squad and rest them ? There are options !

Its great that he has given Davis a chance, but playing a 19 year old rookie on his own up front was really hanging the kid out to dry. Even a brain damaged moron can see that Davis can hold the ball up, but needs a partner to take some of the burden. He and Hogan seem to be made for each other, And you would have expected that Hogan would have relished a start against his former club (I am aware that when he came on he was shit, but by then the whole team was a shambles).

Its all very well and good accepting blame, but when are you going to attack teams ? Wyness has stated we needed to score 80 goals to get promoted, and yet 6 games in we sit back and let teams come at us, and have 7 goals in 6 games....it's simply not good enough, and I don't believe we will get promoted with Bruce in charge.

sods law says we'll beat boro on Tuesday and be stuck with this mug for several more games until our chances of getting promoted have totally disappeared.

i hope that alternatives are already being looked at and I hope there are no footballing dinosaurs on that list (no Moyes, Allardyce etc). Time for Round and Wayne's to earn their money !

This Villa Engine needs the AA !

• Like 2

Couple of weeks ago against Wigan in the cup when we played the kids it was brilliant, because we played completely different to every game which Bruce seems to consider as not being a throw away game. When he plays his most trusted senior players, the setup and style goes back to percentage play. No play through the middle, it goes wide early from the back and just becomes a dull scrap. If it can't go wide to the full backs early then it just goes long.

Against Wigan our young players seemed to either ignore Bruce's instructions or were told to play through the middle. It never went to the full backs early, they quicky played it through the middle with slick 1, 2s and people moving into space. It was like anti-Bruce football. Like other teams do but we could do it much better because we have much better players.

I think Bruce is a bit of a dinosaur who has become so scared of giving anything away that he hamstrings the players by getting them to just keep the ball as far away from our goal as possible.

Get rid quickly please Tony. Pointless waiting until after Tuesday.

• Like 2

So why aren't the players playing for him, when he has signed nearly all of them and some of them have played for him previously? What is going wrong? 

Its so frustrating to see the managers at Wolves and Leeds coming in to the their teams and creating this positive winning mentality, and they have come from leagues elsewhere in the world. 

Why cant we find someone like this?

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Couple of weeks ago against Wigan in the cup when we played the kids it was brilliant, because we played completely different to every game which Bruce seems to consider as not being a throw away game. When he plays his most trusted senior players, the setup and style goes back to percentage play........

It says it all for me that he said he didn't want to go that way against Norwich but was "forced into it" through injuries and missing players. I wouldn't even give him the boro match. Him and Wyness need to be sacked now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Brentford held up a giant mirror yesterday and it reflected the shambles that is "Villa" football.

Brentford are a small club with no money at all. They have just had to sell their best three players in the last week of the transfer window, and yet they totally dominated us in front of an angry and embarrassed Villa Park crowd.

They didn't have to play brilliantly, they just had to do the basics properly. They passed and moved in support of each other. They got forward in numbers when they had the ball, and they pressed when they didn't have the ball.

They appeared fitter and much better organised than us.

Dean Smith said before the match that they'd spent the past couple of weeks bedding in five new players. Getting them used to the system, developing an awareness of where their team mates were going to be on the pitch with the ball and without the ball in relation to them etc etc. 

What did we do in the last couple of weeks? We were knackered and needed a well earned break according to Bruce.

We only had five players away on international duty, so we could have put in some valuable work on the training pitch with our large squad, but we decided not to.

Bruce complacently said he was delighted with our performances in the last two games and that he thought we'd played really good football going into the international break.

Brentford knew what they were doing yesterday, and it showed. Villa didn't have a clue, and it showed.

The buck stops with Bruce, Calderwood and Clemence .... Wyness and Round also need to have a damn good look in that "giant mirror" as well! 

Remember when that was used as an excuse for Bruce for months. Other managers seem to just deal with issues. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Dean Smith said before the match that they'd spent the past couple of weeks bedding in five new players. Getting them used to the system, developing an awareness of where their team mates were going to be on the pitch with the ball and without the ball in relation to them etc etc. 

So he wasn't chilling out on a beach in Portugal?  Hmmm.  :detect:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Him and every member of coaching staff should be gone tonight.

The thing that struck was Brentford knew what they were doing, they were drilled, they knew where to be, where their teammate was, what was their responsibility. It was all second nature. The didn't need to be told.

Cut to ourselves, we have Elmo and Bree going back and forward the whole **** game, looking at each other every 2 **** minutes in a state of confusion. " Are you going with the man or should I? Are you going inside with the runner or shall I? Oh, are you going then? Okay then. Oh, you're not going now? Okay I will go then. Oh ****, we've both gone"

Utter **** shambles and it comes down to what happens on the training pitch.

I lost count of how many times Johnstone bailed us out or another chance went begging for Brentford and Chester, Terry and Bree just looked around at each in silence as if to say, well whose fault was that then?

They didn't even know that.

Shambolic. Shit manager, shit coaching. Said it all pre season. Cannot teach an old dog new tactics. Get rid. Now.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Remember when that was used as an excuse for Bruce for months. Other managers seem to just deal with issues. 

Ah that old chestnut. Doesn't really apply to a manager who 'doesn't do systems'. He's just an old school 'man manager' who is radically out of touch, he does a bit here and there, shows up to training every now and then, the rest of the time it's the golf course or the bar.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

If we had like 10 shots on target  pr so and it was one of those frustrating afternoons you get that it happens. But we could have played for 25 years yesterfay and not scored. We were that bad.

Then he opening admits choosing injured and jaded players ahead of the likes of adomah.

He is just looking for excuses.  You ahve had enough time and failed.  You have probably done 5% better than rdm. Its time to go.

No more football dinosaurs lets get someone fresh and attacking minded.. i would consider wilder at sheffield united if we cant get jokavoic

• Like 1

It hasn't worked out and its time for a change, i can't really see that there has been any improvement over the 40 odd games he has been here.  

We don't have any plan other than to play not to lose and that is down to the manager.  He has arguably the best squad in the league and we still set up negatively at home against supposed smaller clubs. 

My fear is that if we get rid, the replacement could be worse. 

i have no faith that we get it right and we will go for the tried and tested ilk of Moyes et al

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

It doesn't help that Bruce wants us to play in our own half, inviting teams onto us all the time.

An attack minded coach/manager getting us to play further up the pitch would keep the ball away from our defence and allow them to deal with what they need to. 

Bingo, it's how you set your stall out.  To win games sometimes you have got to be prepared to lose.

I will give a new Manager as much time as needed if there are signs of a structure, organisation and game plan.  My most damning criticism of Bruce is that after 40 odd games I still have no idea of what he is trying to do with this team beyond not concede.

No game plan,  no preferred formation, no preferred 11, in summary NO CLUE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong - you didn't see it from day one but many others did. He is a throwback to an earlier, simpler time and not at all suited to the requirements of the modern game - saying that he had done far worse than even I expected. Sherwood, RDM and Bruce - all awful appointments. There is very little chance Wyness and Round will get this right and they need to go too. 

But how does that explain another throwback to a simpler time doing so well at Cardiff? 

He should be getting out thought and completely tonked by all these new progressive managers who see through his dinosaur tactics

Yesterday was the first game I was able to go to this season after being very close to not renewing my season ticket this season. After watching Bruce's team I have decided not to bother making the effort on Tuesday and have given my ticket away. His "style" of football is horrendous, and I don't know why the board have given him so much time when RDM got so little. I'm not buying into ANY excuses stating our squad isn't good enough, or the players need time to gel or it's not down to tactics. It's purely down to how we setup, what we do in training and what the players are being instructed to do.

It's piss poor and Bruce needs to go. You don't get promoted playing the way Bruce has us playing, we need to win a huge amount of games and Bruce just isn't going to achieve it. 

• Like 1

Â