Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

People mock Tim Sherwood, and probably rightly so, but over the 28 games he managed he got 1.14pts per game in the PL. Over 36 games Bruce has managed 1.5. However he's also had a lot more support, he's had two transfer windows, he's playing in a far inferior league where we should be winning and yet he's barely made any improvement on a manager who is wildly discredited who played in a league where survival was our only hope with an absent Chairman.

That's simply not acceptable. You can maybe excuse when he first came in, you maybe can find an argument for all the changes that were needed in January but to go in to a new season, with a whole new transfer window, stability and more resources than any other team, is it acceptable he's now averaging 1pt a game; LESS than Sherwood?!

I'm not sure how much longer you can leave him in command and still expect any hope of promotion this season. He still doesn't have a clear formation or game plan and doesn't even seem to be getting the players to play for him. Terry was a stupid signing, he's left our left side exposed and only bought mates that all play on the right wing. And then every week he repeats we were 'flat', or 'lacked spark' because he refuses to play any kind of attacking football.

I am not one who believes our squad is good enough for automatic promotion (a poor transfer window that didn't deal with our actual problems is to blame) but I do think we should be in the playoffs with our resources/ current squad and that won't happen with Bruce who has now figured out this club is too big for him.

The last time we played attacking football that you could get behind was under Sherwood, but a very different time and a very different players so hard to really compare the two.  But agree Bruce has had enough good will now.

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I did say at the time the Norwich performance wasn't a meaningful barometer and so its proved.

He needs to go, I think he will get Tuesday's game but anything less than a win and he is gone.

Your last line sounds like you are still trying to blame the players rather than Bruce, safe to say I don't agree.

Yes you did say the norwich game was an anomaly or words to that effect.

I can only go by what i see on the park.....but i concede he is responsible.

its like i have said in many of my posts....its more than one factor....its both.

Equally are you suggesting the players themselves are blameless.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was a huge Bruce supporter for a long time and I still believe the anti Bruce brigade were wrong in terms of the immediate reaction. 

On paper he was absolutely the right appointment and I was delighted we finally seemed to have stopped the appointing possible bright sparks or obvious nails. 

He was for me unquestionably the right appointment and I hold no one accountable for him. 

But absolutely it is a mystery why he is so bad. It may be that the job is just too big or that coaching has changed out of all recognition in 2 years. 

I don't know know why or what's gone wrong with Steve Bruce and Aston Villa but it very much has gone wrong so the anti Brucers deserve credit for their devilish witchcraft in spotting this. 

I think that is fair comment.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely not. I simply don't think they are responsible for our problems. Sure individual players could be playing better but let me pose a question, which player has been great this season? In fact which has been good? Or put a different way, why has almost every player Bruce has signed performed worse under him than they did at their previous club?

It all points to Bruce, the tactics, the training, the game management and approach.

Yes players take responsibility for poor performances, but when the entire team is performing badly, consistently badly and below the sum of their parts that is firmly at the door of the manager.

I concede......more like saturday, he has to go.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I would have much preferred you had been right.

Oh I appreciate the sentiment.....but hey! I thought i was right.....and spoke accordingly.

I have seen some poor games Trent at vp, but that took the biscuit.

Just now, TRO said:

Oh I appreciate the sentiment.....but hey! I thought i was right.....and spoke accordingly.

I have seen some poor games Trent at vp, but that took the biscuit.

And I always respect that irrespective of if I agree.

I didn't even follow it, I couldn't even be bothered which says it all.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its just about arrived at the trading post called........unanimous.

Blimey, if you have accepted Bruce needs to go, then I think it will happen as soon as you change your profile pic..

I don't ever want Villa to not win, but the danger of a win at Boro with the imminent return of King Kodjia.. that could potentially prolong his stay until Xmas. Maybe its just for the best we throw the game 

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 1

TRO - you are clearly one of the most measured and thought out posters on VT - I have not agreed with your defence of Bruce - however I have always enjoyed reading your posts which are always respectful to everyone and well meant.

i look forward to more of your posts discussing the merits of a new man at the helm 

• Like 3

Â